axel help | Golden Skate

axel help

crazyfootwork94

Rinkside
I have been working on my axel for about 6 months and i have landed it but not consistently. Then i lost it and cant get it. I keep putting my left foot down and i have trouble getting out of it. im having the same problem with my double toe. i need to land my axel in a month for bay state games. im starting to get nervous that i wont. :no:

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's really hard to diagnose something without more information. I'd really have to see it in order to give you the best answer, but here are some common issues that cause a free foot to tap down:

1) not getting full weight transfer from L to R side. This is usually caused by not getting the free leg completely through on the takeoff. Basically the R knee needs to come all the way up and through as if you are knee blocking in soccer or martial arts so that you can change over to that side easily.

2) your upper body is not strong - meaning you are scrunched in the air which puts your weight over the free foot when you come down to not slam yourself face first. Solution here is to stand up straighter on the take off. I have this problem from time to time on the double sal and when I start to 2 foot them, I think about keeping my core very tight.

3) dropped free hip which is also related to the first one.

Get someone to video tape your attempts and see if you can analyze the problem to make the right correction.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
One problem I can guess that you are having is that you are not landing on your toe. Am I correct? When you go up, make sure that you point your toe. This will help a lot.

Also, don't worry about your axel for bay state!!!!!!!!! I have competed in that competition before. Remember that there is a lot more to your program than an axel, work on that stuff too!!!!!

good luck.

vlaurend

Final Flight
One more thing: Are you crossing your feet at the ankles? If so, try lifting the knee of the free leg a little so that the calf of the free leg is right over the knee of the landing leg. That will lift your free hip a little, keeping you over your landing side and also making it easier to uncross your free leg and check out. Also, make sure you jump up and get backward before pulling your arms and free leg in. That will also help you get over your landing side.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
i am going to be away for the next week but crazyfootwork, good luck at bay state!!!
hope the axel is good!!!!!!!!

oops-bay state is in 2 weeks, but whatever............

no toepicks

Spectator
axel

don't worry about the clean or skidded take-off. Be sure to use your legs and not your arms as much. depending on your direction, i like the free leg and opposite arm to come through together.