The Next Oly Champ in Men's Division | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Next Oly Champ in Men's Division

herios

Medalist
Don't forget about Plushenko's comeback.

Dee

I will have to quote John mcEnroe here: " You cannot be serious":rofl:

Plushenko has moved on, he does oh so many things, touring, business, divorce / settlement, and he will be having time to prepare for an Olympic bid. yeah sure, if you can believe it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think where Weir's pressure will come from is if he or Evan has the better showing at this year's Worlds... NBC will push one over the other... they pushed Evan in 06 until he bombed and Johnny soared in the SP then they dropped Evan so fast... only to pick him up and trash Johnny when the roles reversed two nights later (and by NBC I mean the talking heads, not so much the 'expert' team).

I have a feeling Johnny will once again be the underdog in the media's eyes and that everyone's eggs will be in Evan's basket... Johnny just has to hold it together in the LP at the olys... and both need to ignore the media as far as taunting each other back and forth (And each other's fan groups) and then my hair won't be ripped out by a very frustrated me lol

:laugh: If one isn't close paying attention, you could mistaken Brezina for Buttle. It's kinda eerie!
I can see some resemblance in facial features but body types are different. Brezina has the long legs. While Buttle skated nicely lyrical, Brezina tends to use every note in the music. Two different skaters. Michal more like Kurt in skating.

As for Jonny, I won't count him out, but I can't count anyone out even in this coming Worlds.

I really think LA will either be a Splatfest or one of the Best Men's Competition ever. I think anyone who predicts the winner should get a kiss (just ladies) or a handshake (just men) from the Winner.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe - I was just talking about his face... when your link popped up it was a close up of his face and I did a triple take going "I thought Joe said this was someone else" LOL

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This thread title is a huge overstatement. Especially based on the video provided.

lmarie086

Medalist
This thread title is a huge overstatement. Especially based on the video provided.

I think the title should have been something along the lines of "The future of the Men's Division." Or at least something to that effect, since there has been discussion of many male skaters. Or if this was just intended to be about Brezina, should've been Michal Brezina lol.

Brezina does look a lot like Buttle- I remember having to look twice at Junior worlds last season lol. But their skating style is different.

Let's get Andreev some more experience first. I like him, but I need to see more of him before I can really form an opinion. Hope he is on the podium at Nationals!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Fedor Andreev :biggrin:

:rofl: Forgive me for cracking up, but I have a hard time picturing that despite being madly in lurve with the guy. I still think it's totally cute that you brought up his name, though. :agree:

From the recent clip posted I would agree, but I would like to see him in competition. That is why I am hoping he gets 4CC.

If Fedor had devoted himself completely to figure skating from a young age, then I'd say that he has a decent shot at becoming the Olympic champion. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, and what we were stuck with during his pre-injury career was him at 20% capacity. There was the occasional flash of brilliance, but more often than not, his body was skating on the ice while his mind was off drift racing. *sighs*

However, his skating has progressed a lot in only 2 months, so who knows what he can accomplish next season with almost a full year's worth of hard work behind him. His comeback story certainly has the potential to be a very memorable one. Fedor just might be the Fumie Suguri of Canadian men's skating! :love:

Let's get Andreev some more experience first. I like him, but I need to see more of him before I can really form an opinion. Hope he is on the podium at Nationals!

Yes, we have to take it one step a time. First he needs to make the World team, and then we can better evaluate his future prospects. ;)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will have to quote John mcEnroe here: " You cannot be serious":rofl:

Plushenko has moved on, he does oh so many things, touring, business, divorce / settlement, and he will be having time to prepare for an Olympic bid. yeah sure, if you can believe it.
Apparently, you did not read Anton's interview. I am not saying it's going to happen but if it does will he pose a problem for the younger contenders???

Here is an excerpt from Anton Sikhuralidze interview
I know you used to be friends with Evgeny Plushenko. Are you still?

Of course.

Has he talked to you about his supposed comeback?

Yes, Zhenya is indeed seriously working on it. He’s training. I didn’t see him skate, but heard that he’s in good shape.

Do you believe it’s possible?

The comeback is possible. The question is about ambitions. I’d think being a contender for the Olympic podium would be good.
The whole interview was translated by Ptichka, here is the link.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26099

Dee

herios

Medalist
Apparently, you did not read Anton's interview. I am not saying it's going to happen but if it does will he pose a problem for the younger contenders???

Here is an excerpt from Anton Sikhuralidze interview

The whole interview was translated by Ptichka, here is the link.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26099

Dee

Indeed I haven't.

Now that I have, I still doubt he will return, you missed one key portion of this interview:

"Question: in other words, you don’t think it’s a problem to go from a prolonged period of active social life to the tough athletic one?

Response: That depends on the conditions Plushenko can be offered. It’s not unreasonable. I didn’t have such thoughts, but he does. What Zhenya does now is his work and his primary source of income. If sponsors will emerge who will offer him similar conditions to have him train for real, and if he is truly ready to go through that whole path again, then why not?".

Do you think he will find enough sponsors to pay him as much as he makes let's say one year he will have to dedicate for full time training?

I don't know about that, especially in the current economic circumstances, and mostly in Russia where the crisis is in full blast!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Medusa's just doing what we N. American's do... she's cheering on her hometown boys.

as for this kid... for a minute I thought it was Jeff Buttle lol they look similar in the face. But I wouldn't jinx him so soon ;)

??? Jinx - what are you implying? Jeff did win a bronze Olympic medal a couple of World silver titles and one gold World title, not to mention three Canadian National titles and several International titles. So, any likeness to Jeff might bring the new kid on the block some good luck.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok the jinx was referring to the fact that he's being called the next oly champion.

all I said was he looked like Jeff.