Sasha's latest Journal | Golden Skate

Sasha's latest Journal

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She finally posted a new journal.

http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

She will be keeping "Please don't stop the music" as a SOI program and will be using Moonlight Sonata as the second program. I am really looking forward to the latter....and her new costumes. She is still very tight-lipped though.

Funny, but I did not realize Natasha was in college already. She is still a teenager to me!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Here is a link to her new program. She may be thinking of using this as a base for a later competition program, note the full-length footwork and the fact that she dosen't just keep doing spiral after spiral unlike her programs of late.
Great program....I see this becoming a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfqb8vh9Chs

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Program has terrific potential. I forgot what a presence she was on the ice. Come on back Sasha!

i love to skate

Medalist
That was a very nice program with a lovely dress. After having watched Stars on Ice this afternoon, I can't help but notice that there seems to be no joy in Sasha's face when she skates. I don't believe she will return to competition next year as she lacks the competitive drive and fire, IMO. However, I wish her well in whichever decision she makes :)

Joy would have been out of place. The costume, lighting, and Sasha's expression were all stressing the darkness and intensity of the music. (I'm not so sure about the choreography... I can imagine the same steps set to happy music!) It does seem like a potential competitive program.

Nice work. It's good to see the speed of her spins coming back.

i love to skate

Medalist
Yes, the second program was much more intense. Her first program to "Please Don't Stop the Music" lacked some joy which I thought to be odd for such a fun number. She appeared to be just going through the motions. Maybe it's just me though as I always like to see a smile or some light or fire in a skaters eyes when they perform! Perhaps I'm just looking too much into it...

Her Moonlight looked like it could be an SP competitive, but it needs work. I think her flexibility is well known and that wont be a wow as it used to be since what ladies today lack flexibility?

But good luck to her, if she decides to skate competitively. I guess the acting bug has faded away.

gold12345

Medalist
I'd be kinda shocked if Sasha comes back, not because I question her love for skating/competing, but she had enough troubles with the jumps when she was in great competitive shape, never mind as she is training sporadically.

I, too, have thought Sasha seemed to be missing a little joy on her face, not just in this SOI show, but in all her recent shows. Maybe she's just not the exhibition type and can't really get into it as much.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yes, the second program was much more intense. Her first program to "Please Don't Stop the Music" lacked some joy which I thought to be odd for such a fun number. She appeared to be just going through the motions. Maybe it's just me though as I always like to see a smile or some light or fire in a skaters eyes when they perform! Perhaps I'm just looking too much into it...

I for sure agree. In all the show of the past few years there is a certain sadness about her. True, the moonlight sonata program required a somber feel, but I got the feeling it wasn't all an act. She didn't even smile at the end like she used to. In the happier routines I feel like she is acting.... the spirit does not seem genuine. I wonder if she still has not gotten over her olympic disappointment...or maybe she is disappointed by her acting career. Maybe she has something going on personally. whatever. But I do hope she does whatever she must to that makes her happy. I can't bear the thought of having her stop skating, but if that is what will make her happy...the fans and I will make the sacrifice.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
You're looking at one of her new competition programs, if she does come back. I can say that with relative certainty. But of course in its current form it is missing quite a few jumping passes.

Pared down for time, it would make a suitable SP. I get the feeling she might be thinking of it as a FS, but if so, it would need more fire to it.

layman

On the Ice
I did not see any reason for doom and gloom (from fans).

Sasha looked to be in spectacular shape, hit all her jumps perfectly and easily (I saw 3loop, 3salchow and 3toe-loop), and has a beautiful program with spectacular (and difficult) footwork and the most beautiful positions, posture, spirals and spins that I have ever seen.

Her flexibility is not special?? What current skater has that kind of perfect posture, extension and stretch (Zhang may come close but Sasha has experience and maturity over her)? In my book, skating like Sasha's will always be special.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Layman,

I agree with your post. Sasha does have something special about her skating that sets her apart from other skaters. She is an exceptional skater and will always remain so in my opinion.

Whether or not Sasha tries a competitive comeback is HER business. She really doesn't have anything to lose except perhaps possible injuries which is still her call. Whether or not she can be competitive for a top podium spot is questionable but the top contenders are not always perfect as we have seen.

A long time ago, I found peace with the fact that figure skating fans are very protective of skaters they prefer and very critical of those they don't like. Some people just don't like Sasha and will find fault with something about her skating or her no matter what.

I wish Sasha the best and hope she is happy with her decision whatever it may be. It would be great to see her continue skating in any event.

Dizzy

MKFSfan

Medalist
I did not see any reason for doom and gloom (from fans).

Sasha looked to be in spectacular shape, hit all her jumps perfectly and easily (I saw 3loop, 3salchow and 3toe-loop).
When did Sasha land a loop?

Her flexibility is not special?? What current skater has that kind of perfect posture, extension and stretch

I don't think it's as much other skaters are BETTER in that department as much as several skaters can now achieve the same positions and use their insane flexibility to their advantages as Sasha has done for years. The uniqueness of being SO flexible is gone.

Eurofan

On the Ice
Here is a link to her new program. She may be thinking of using this as a base for a later competition program, note the full-length footwork and the fact that she dosen't just keep doing spiral after spiral unlike her programs of late.
Great program....I see this becoming a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfqb8vh9Chs

Thanks for posting this. After all the awful things I've been reading about Sasha, I'm glad to see her give such a fine performance.