Yags says he's out of Campbell's | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yags says he's out of Campbell's

gsk8 said:
I wish I could answer your questions - I honestly do. All I can say is welcome to the world of "politics".

I understand your point about politics, Paula. This hadn't crossed my mind when I posted before. It is sad that politics of others caused you to be the one to appear unreliable/deceptive, when in fact you obviously are most definitely a reliable source. You do have my great respect for the way you handled the backlash, especially given the situation you were put in due to "politics" and factors beyond your control that we weren't privvy to.

:)

I second Practicemakesperfect. The whole way the USFSA handled Yagugin's withdrawal by trying to hide it and then attacking Paula for simply reporting the truth (freedom of the press anyone?) is reprehensible to me. As Joe said, clearly money was what those at the USFSA were concerned with. If ticket sales are good, how much difference would Yags being there or not make? If ticket sales are slow, same thing. There's just no excuse for the way the USFSA treated Paula regarding her announcement of Yags's withdrawal. Sounds like some at the USFSA think they're with the CIA. This ain't exactly the stuff of grave national consequences.

I also think there was some of the "Little Dictator" complex involved--people who get an overblown sense of power from their position, especially in a "power" organization like the USFSA. THEY are in charge. THEY will decide when to announce what. And if YOU do something otherwise, THEY will bring the wrath of the federation down on "little" you to teach everyone a lesson!

Bad karma, USFSA folks. Very bad karma indeed. Not to mention that they also PO'd Rgirl. NOW I bet they're scared, lol.
Rgirl

PS Am of course bummed about both Yags and Irina being injured and unwell, respectively. I'm afraid I think Yags's hip problem is never going to allow him to return to competitive skating, though of course I hope I'm wrong. IMO, he became the first great male skater of the quad age with superb abilities in both the technical and artistic aspects of the sport--and I do mean artistic in Yags's case. Hopefully irina's problem is just a temporary illness. Anyone know how her mother is doing?

BTW, I agree with Alina that it would have been nice if they could have invited other international skaters as replacements, and with Joe that I'd like to see more skaters from a greater variety of countries at this event. Not that I'm expecting such innovative thinking from the planners. Of course I'm still looking forward to the competition, but given what they did to Paula, they can kiss my USFSA.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I believe that the absence of Michelle Kwan (or some other big name US skater) definetely would have an impact on ticket sales for a cheese-competition held in USA, but I very much doubt that Yagudin´s presence or absence has that much impact in USA (thinking of US SOI ticket sales in past season). It would be different in Canada though, I think?

Marjaana

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm certainly not condoning fraud, but we need to remember that without ticket sales, there is no competition. Promotors who do not reap financial benefit will simply cancel next year. Then where would we be? We have no idea when Alexei cancelled. For all we know, it was only recently. Reading what he supposedly "said" in an interview can be misleading. We should not rush to condemn at this point. Forget it and enjoy the skating!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course I'm still looking forward to the competition, but given what they did to Paula, they can kiss my USFSA.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Rgirl, you just crack me up!!!.........and I agree with your summation of the kissing part.:laugh:

Dee

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but I very much doubt that Yagudin´s presence or absence has that much impact in USA (thinking of US SOI ticket sales in past season).
Marjaana, I don't think you can blame Alexei for the low ticket sales last season. I think you need to look at SOI's marketing and advertising. Someone dropped the ball there and big time. In my city, there was little if any advertising prior to the show. Also, I think Alexei's presence in the US does have an impact, sorry you don't see that.

Dee

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I will be glad to see Michelle Kwan and others. However, I have never seen Irina or Alexei live, so I'll be disappointed for them. :(

RG#1,
Hey, twinnie. I didn't have a problem with the promoters waiting to announce that Alexei had withdrawn. Promoters do that all the time. What bothered me is that when Paula got the information from a legitimate source that Yags had withdrawn and posted it on the GS site and forum, the USFSA came down on Paula like a jackhammer and practically threatened to run her off the Internet. THAT ticked me off. Paula is a journalist. She reported something that she got from a reliable source. IMO, the USFSA has absolutely NO BUSINESS threatening her or anybody for releasing information that is accurate and was available to anyone who knew where to look.

Also, OTOH, after Yags withdrew, who knows when the USFSA would have announced it? If you were a ticket buyer who lived in Pennsylvania and waited until close to the competition to buy your ticket and bought it specifically because you wanted to see Yagudin and you had arranged to take time off from work, drive into New York, etc. etc., wouldn't you be PO'd if you found out that the USFSA had known for weeks that Yags would not be skating? Last minute injuries can't be helped, but Yagudin withdrew a little over a week ago (not sure about the exact date).

I want skating events too and understand the promoters have to make money. But they need to understand that skaters getting injured is par for the course and make sure they have a well-balanced program with a range of strong well-known skaters so the whole event is not dependent on one marquee name. And as Dee said, the marketing and advertising departments have to do their jobs too and also not sell based on just one name. God forbid Michelle ever gets sick or injured right before a major event--and I don't mean to be facetious. I just mean that with her popularity, if she had to withdraw from say Nationals due to last minute injury or illness, well, let's just say I would not want to be working in the refund area of the ticket office, lol.

Anyway, in this case, like I said, it was the Luca Brazzi tactics the USFSA used on Paula that made me Rgrrrrrrrl.
RG#2

PS to Dee: When you have great material to work with... Glad you got a chuckle.

Last edited:

Panther2000

On the Ice
Here HERE

Dee4707 said:
Marjaana, I don't think you can blame Alexei for the low ticket sales last season. I think you need to look at SOI's marketing and advertising. Someone dropped the ball there and big time. In my city, there was little if any advertising prior to the show. Also, I think Alexei's presence in the US does have an impact, sorry you don't see that.

Dee
I agree with you Dee4707. Alexie has a MAJOR MAJOR fan base not only here in the US but just about everywhere( maybe with the exception of Russian, but still a big base there also.) He dose but butts in the seats. But with poor promotion & very high ticket prices. Those are contributing factors in low ticket sales. I for one with my husband & kids couldn't make it to any of the shows. With college, Car & Mortages to pay. Something has to give. Not to mention that this country is still in a very bad recession.

Needless to say that with his main competion also missing due to injury. The build up to these two guys bring to the ice is now missing. As, for the article I too think that he was doing too much too soon. Hopefully he will be able to compete sometime this season.

As for the DUI statement. I have to take him at his word, he is pretty straight forward & usually doesn't hold anything thing back( & some fans don't like him for speaking his mind) So, I will take him for his word. A Olympic champion shows up at a wedding. Of course he will be asked to stay & such( Though, he could have refused). But, passing a double yellow line with cops watching of course they will pull him over. & Lord knows that if he was weaving all over the place. The cops would have said so. When they catch stars doing something wrong they tend to give alot of details ( Unless it is a major crime like Rape or Murder of something. ) So, Until I hear different from the police( Which they probably won't bother with it ), cause, if he was all over the place they would have said so just to bring the point home.

Because, unlike Oksana. He DID NOT get into an accident where she injured not only herself but her passenger. Still I think he has learned from this.

On his coaching. I think that he would make a good coach. But, I think much later. I think that he is kind of young & wouldn't be taken seriously as a coach. Even with his Great career. I just hope that we will be able to see him in competion. He still has soo much to give to the sport.

euterpe

Medalist
I am not at all surprised at Alexei's withdrawal from Campbell's.
What surprised me was his agreeing to participate in the first place, so soon after his surgery.

As for Irina, if she has chronic bronchitis, early autumn with its crop of allergens can be hazardous. At this time of year I don't go anywhere without a box of Kleenex handy.

windspirit

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
What bothered me is that when Paula got the information from a legitimate source that Yags had withdrawn and posted it on the GS site and forum, the USFSA came down on Paula like a jackhammer and practically threatened to run her off the Internet. THAT ticked me off. Paula is a journalist. She reported something that she got from a reliable source. IMO, the USFSA has absolutely NO BUSINESS threatening her or anybody for releasing information that is accurate and was available to anyone who knew where to look.
I didn't know it came to this. :eek: I don't like it one bit, too.

As for false advertising, isn't that a big no-no? (well, I'm no longer sure, after I bought a TV set that was supposed to have a headphone jack, as advertised, and didn't). I mean, I'm aware of the usual practices (exaggeration, innuendoes, etc.), but this was a black-white situation. It's one thing that they can't and don't guarantee that a particular skater will be there, but I think that as soon as someone's out, we have the right to know that.

I still remember that after Yags won the gold medal at the Olympics and wasn't going to skate in every COI show, he was still very heavily advertised on the local tv where I live. "The Olympic champion, Alexei Yagudin, will be there, blah, blah..." I knew for 100% he wouldn't, and they did, too. For weeks, if not from the very beginning. Maybe that's why they haven't seen a penny from me yet. http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/yaz3.gif Even though it's the closest venue to me.