Ladies SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canadian judges seem to be favoring Cynthia over Mira, but would Cynthia get the same love from international judges?

Cynthia's international record (an 8th place and a 7th place) this season has already proven to be better than Mira's (a 7th place and an 11th place) when you look at their results. Skate Canada is clearly giving Mira an over-due wake up call. The LP could prove very interesting. If Lacoste and Szmiett build on their performances from today, who knows what may happen with regards to Phaneuf's and Leung's placement if they both struggle.

1 Cynthia Phaneuf 55.16
2 Joannie Rochette 53.58
3 Amélie Lacoste 53.55
4 Diane Szmiett 51.99
5 Adriana DeSanctis 49.88
6 Mira Leung 48.76

We've already seen the bizarre happenings at the ladies' Japanese Nationals. The usually solid Yukari winning the SP, but only finishing 5th overall. Mao winning the title, but placing 2nd in the LP to Fumie.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
It is amazing how the judges hold up the "big names" the the PCS scores. Sure, i like Joannie, but 2nd place with a pop and a fall? come on.

Did you watch the competition? Joannie was not held up. Even though she made two errors the rest of her skating is miles ahead of the competition and she deserved second place. Overall, this was one of the best final six at Canadians I have seen in a long time. I think Szmiett is immensely talented, Kathryn Kang showed some great promise (and what height on her lutz) Mira was also greatly improved. Looking forward to the rest of the competition! :)

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I wasn't surprised to see Joannie in 2nd after that skate. She screwed up on the jumps and she paid for it, which I think shows how fair the judging really is, since the program itself is much better than the rest of the field's. I love Joannie, and my guess is that she'll win tomorrow, probably bu a good margin. And even if she doesn;t, it won't be a tragedy. She'll still go to worlds, and Phaneuf would have a positive result for the first time this season. For me, I;m happy as long as it's those two that end up in LA.

I was actually very impressed by Diane Szmiett. This is the first time I've watched her skate, and she seems to have the whole package. She needs refinement, but that will come with more international experience.

I also want to comment on Mira. I was pleased that she (finally) god downgraded on the jumps that she underrotated. Another exmple of fair judging. I found it ironic that she is so far down in the standings, yet this was the first program I've ever seen her skate that showed of some real artistry and was pleasing to watch. I guess Lori Nichol worked her magic once again.

I thought Mira looked very nice. Good costume, good music, good choreography.

I didn't see Lacoste's skate (they showed only the final group on the main CBC channel.)

I don't see any way Joannie can possibly lose the LP.

Interesting that Kurt Browning didn't know that there is a penalty for singling the second jump of the combination in the SP. (Back to the CoP textbook, Kurt. :) )

rain

Record Breaker
I was pretty impressed with a number of the ladies in the short program. I really liked Lacoste, Szmiett, and Katherine Kang (fix the awful spiral though, please). For once the top six or so didn't look like they'd be an embarrassment in an international junior ladies field, let alone a senior field.

nadster

Final Flight
I was pretty impressed with a number of the ladies in the short program. I really liked Lacoste, Szmiett, and Katherine Kang (fix the awful spiral though, please). For once the top six or so didn't look like they'd be an embarrassment in an international junior ladies field, let alone a senior field.

It is funny how both Szmiett and Kang are finding consistency this season after struggling through 2 years of routinely imploding in programs. Szmiett struggled in the JGP and nationals until this year and Kang always completely imploded at nationals and JGP until the challenge this year.

It is nice to see Lacoste finally fully healthy again. Injuries have dogged her consistently over the last 2-3 years.

rain

Record Breaker
It is nice to see Lacoste finally fully healthy again. Injuries have dogged her consistently over the last 2-3 years.

Yes, I remember a number of years ago at the national championship they were talking about her as this great up and comer, then she just sort of fell off the map. So many ladies never come back from those kinds of things. Hope she has a good LP as well.

Eurofan

On the Ice
Well, the Ladies' LP will be interesting, that's for sure. I wouldn't call Leung "buried" yet - she's climbed up from 6th in the short before. I don't think she can afford more than one UR call, though.

herios

Medalist
Aside from Cynthia having a very good chance to make the worlds team, I don't like the results. I was hoping Joannie would at least pull off a decent program..
Canadian judges seem to be favoring Cynthia over Mira, but would Cynthia get the same love from international judges?.

No, they don't Cynthia's program (excluding her fall) was breathtaking. Every single move was of a superb quality. if she would include 2 difficult successful jumps, she is world class hands down.

Mira shows some improvement in her non jumping elements too. She was committed to the choreography, much better than before. However, that bad jumping technique cannot be corrected by night. That neds tons of work.
The judges just applied exactly what the international judges did all season long, punishing all the bad technique (UR and edges), across the board. They got their act together, so they can send those skaters to the worlds with the best chances to earn high scores at worlds, to maximize Canada's chances to earn as many possible spots for Oly's. I cannot be more in agreement.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I finally got to see the Ladies' SP's this morning and I have to agree with Wilson and Browning. Mira's short program was a mixture of good and bad. The lower level spins, footwork, and spiral sequence did not help her point-wise. Nor did the downgraded 2A. On the positive side, she did seem to enjoy it a lot more than La Bayadère and paid more attention to the music and choreography. And she came out looking like an elite skater, not like she was held together with hair-clips, duct tape, and safety pins. Baby steps, perhaps, but at least in the right direction.