Practice reports? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

MasterB

Final Flight
I am off to see the men practice. Will give you a full report in 3 hours.

Someone asked if the judges were there yesterday morning and the answer is yes and they seemed to be taking notes.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She's probably planning a 3 flip 3 loop combo, but didn't check out properly this time and ended up doing a double three between the jumps in order to still get the 3 loop in.

That's likely correct. You still get credit as a combo if this happens under IJS now, you are supposed to have a minus GOE associated with it.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
According to the schedule, the senior ladies should be in their SP warm-up over in the practice arena. Is this open to the public?

MasterB

Final Flight
My own report for Thursday (Men only)

In no particular order, just what I remember:

Roger-LP-first up so he didn't do any of the jumps. Afterward he did all of his jumps beautifully.

Smith-SP- not a good skate at all. Missed his axel and combo..

Evan-SP- weak axel, rest of program was okay. no quad. Later in the session he hit a perfect quad-triple combo.

Weir-LP- did not do a full run-through. He did some of the jumps and they looked labored. No quad attempts at all.

Cassar-SP- really nice music and presentation but, weak technically. Best spread eagles ever.

Eliot- SP- no triple axel, missed the combo.

Abbot-LP- stepped out of the first jump and popped the first axel. The rest of the program was solid.

Oi - SP- The only man to do a clean program. Lets see if can do that tomorrow night.

Carriere-SP- stepped out of the axel and two footed the triple flip. No emotion whatsoever.

Adam-LP- left out the two triple axels (he had not warmed the up) but, the rest was spot on. Later in the session he hit the axels perfectly.

Ryan-LP-fell on quad and missed the first axel. He looked really slow throughout the program.

Mroz-LP- popped the quad and missed the first axel but skated the rest of the program okay plus landed the second axel. Program was lifeless.

The rest of the men were not that impressive so I will spare you the details.

Oh dear, is Johnny sick or is he saving it?

GO, Johnny! You can do it! :bow:

ETA: PS - Thanks, Master B!

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
I'm really glad to hear Caroline's doing well. Looks like she's the only one with really consistent 3-3. Hopefully that'll be an advantage... Do the ladies have another practice before the short tonight?

Ahhh Johnny, I hope he's recovered from that illness. Poor boy has had such a rough season so far. :frown:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
MasterB, thank you for the practice report.
Abbot-LP- stepped out of the first jump and popped the first axel. The rest of the program was solid.
This sounds good. I think Jeremy doesn't need a quad, if he skates like he did at GPF, does he?

taylorfax

On the Ice
Ahhh Johnny, I hope he's recovered from that illness. Poor boy has had such a rough season so far. :frown:
Yeah I really hope he's healthy now.
He hardly ever does full run-throughs in practices, though, they're always pretty sporadic. lol

annlfs

Rinkside
i hope johnny is okay, and not still feeling ill, i'm soooooooooooooooo hoping this is his year again to reclaim that GOLD medal that he so deserves.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i hope johnny is okay, and not still feeling ill, i'm soooooooooooooooo hoping this is his year again to reclaim that GOLD medal that he so deserves.

This will get VERY interesting if he is not in top form. This is one stubborn illness. I am getting the feeling that Evan, if he wins, will win without the quad, certainly not the quad in the SP. Johnny has proven that he can pull out a decent performance dispite being ill, so you can't write him off at all. Jeremy's chances are looking better by the minuite.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Didn't Evan come right out and announce no more quad attempts for him? Or has he amended that statement, especially since I remember in past years he said repeatedly anyone who didn't attempt a quad was "wussing out" (direct quote, he said so articulately, "wussing out").

Regardless, I don't think he needs it at this comp.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Didn't Evan come right out and announce no more quad attempts for him? Or has he amended that statement, especially since I remember in past years he said repeatedly anyone who didn't attempt a quad was "wussing out" (direct quote, he said so articulately, "wussing out").

Regardless, I don't think he needs it at this comp.

Evan might need the quad if he is to beat Jeremy. If Jeremy skates a clean quad less program I think he might win, we have seen what Jeremy can do. Evan skates third in the final group so he will have to make a decision whether to put the quad in or not without knowing what Jeremy will do. It may be a risky move for Evan but I think he will attempt it. Can't wait for the LP.