Pairs | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Pairs

Alex

On the Ice
and even the music choices are pretty good (Pink Floyd seems to be a hit this season).

For a sad reason of course...

So, I'm really happy for Mukhortova and Trankov!!! Absolutely clean program! But even with an again-clean LP, they still need a major deduction from the Germans to be 1st.. And unfortunately, V&M are a lot behind the 3rd place.. But overall, I think that the level of skating was really good tonight! Congrats to all pairs and good luck for the LP!:thumbsup:

Kasey

Medalist
I'm in the process up uploading the last two groups of pairs to Youtube. So far M/T and C/C are up. Username is kismac67.

enlight78

Medalist
Hi everyone,

First time poster, long time reader.

Great night of pairs skating. Delighted for M/T they were brilliant, should have been 70+. Fingers crossed they can hold it together for long, they seemed so happy in the K&C.

Would have K/S in second, followed by S/S. I am not a fan of their short programme, personally I think it was overmarked. Dissappointed for V/M, to far back to make the podium.

Was really impressed with I/M also liked both French couples, the two British couples, the second Germans and the Italians who skated to Bolero. The standard surprised me.

Looking forward to the free skate.

Welcome to the forum. .I hope you post more often.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Starting order for tomorrow is up - good draw for M/T, they skate first in the last group, should be less pressure.

On the one hand I would love to see M/T winning this, or K/S. But on the other hand I just have to admit that I dislike both long programs of those two pairs. I just think that the composition of the program, the idea behind, the choreography of Savchenko/Szolkowy's program looked superior so far this season. They need to seriously blow it, otherwise I can't really imagine the frantic K/S dance or the weird acting show of M/T to win over Savchenko/Szolkowy.

But then again, K/S' program looked already better at Russian Nationals, where is was reasonably clean and we have never seen a clean version of "The Lady and the Hooligan".

Funny tidbit: on Monday Szolkowy was asked which of the Russian couples had beaten them in the short early in the season - and he didn't know any more. He knows now... :laugh:

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
I just watched Mukhortova/Trankov, and wow that was breathtaking! Absolutely beautiful, I really hope they consider using this SP for the Olympics, it's such a classic.

Their reactions in the K&C were adorable, especially Maxim. I'm really, really starting to like this pair. Hope they can hold it together in the LP so I can finally get a clear idea of the program.

ETA: I watched a video of their LP from 2008 Euros and there is such a difference in how they relate to each other. Last year they were so cold to one another (her especially) and I like that they seem to be getting along better (on camera at least). IMO he always seems like he has a crush on her :lol:

Last edited:

casken

On the Ice
Smirnov did a great 3T, so much air... Hopefully his hair will grow back till Worlds.

I know! It looks like he cut his hair with a weed whacker. :unsure:

The PCS breakdown between M&T and K&S is interesting and I think pretty accurate. K&S got higher Transition and Choreography marks, but M&T got higher Skating Skills and Interpretation marks. They tied on Performance/Execution.

Final Flight
M/T's SP performance is why i live....don't care how bad the twist was....the program...is "perfection."

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It symbolizes a butterfly. The program is about a butterfly's guardian angel - he protects her throughout the program, but she still dies in his hands at the end. Here is an interview where they talk about their costumes - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/38482.html.
Thanks, Ptichka! I appreciate the thought that went to it and it was a gorgeous program, but I don't see how her outfit symbolized any of the things they were trying to express.

life684

Final Flight
I hate the people who decided scrap BUL pair from FS. I personally don't think adding an extra pair will alter time schedule for FS or the standard (i thought BUL pair was wonderful)

Medusa

Record Breaker
M/T's SP performance is why i live....don't care how bad the twist was....the program...is "perfection."
Their twist was quite good, wasn't it? There was a slight bobble in it and it looked like she landed a bit hard - but it was miles better then K/S (would K/S lose many points by doing a Level 4 double Twist? Because the element seems to be getting worse for them).

figuristka

Medalist
The top pair´s were exciting. Shame about the ukrainian pair not getting the bronze though, as their free was so strong.
Really enjoyed watching both Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Nodari MAISURADZE, and
new British team Erica RISSEEUW / Robert PAXTON. Who i think will get even better with time. Lubov reminds me of a young Gordeeva.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Absolutely lurved the K/K Linkin Park SP :clap:

Really? I have to disagree, I think the music sounded bad. I didn't think they skated to it particularly well it came across like background music. How they were so high with SBS double flips (which don't look anywhere near as effortless as such low difficulty jumps should) and a turn out on the throw triple loop i don't know.

Ant