TIME FOR A CHANGE! 44 ideas to improve the sports we love | Golden Skate

TIME FOR A CHANGE! 44 ideas to improve the sports we love

sillylionlove

Medalist
This was an article that I saw today on MSNBC.com. Here is a link to the article

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28703925/

Here are my favorite excerpts:

Revive perfect 6.0 and 10 scores
The 6.0 was a brand in figure skating. Everyone knew what it meant. Figure out another way to keep the judges honest. Like, by recruiting honest judges.

And while you're at it, bring back the perfect 10 in gymnastics. Anyone can tell you what Mary Lou got. Who, right now, can tell you Nastia Liukin or Shawn Johnson's scores?

Get rid of events with judges
It’s bad enough some sports have to use referees. But when judges – who are these people, anyway? – have to interpret rules and award points depending on their own perspective and views, the results are flawed and ultimately unfair.

No age limit
If you're an 11- or 12-year-old girl, or even younger, and you're good enough, you should be able to compete in the Olympics. Age requirements make little sense, particularly when arbitrary.
A 14-year-old diver can compete in the Summer Olympics. Why can't a 14-year-old gymnast?

1. Revive perfect 6.0 and 10 scores
The 6.0 was a brand in figure skating. Everyone knew what it meant. Figure out another way to keep the judges honest. Like, by recruiting honest judges.

2. And while you're at it, bring back the perfect 10 in gymnastics...

3. Get rid of events with judges

4. A 14-year-old diver can compete in the Summer Olympics. Why can't a 14-year-old gymnast?
#3 seems to contradict 1, 2 and 4.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I wont even get started with all of my suggestions again - at the same time I must mention some f them have come to fruition.:biggrin:

I will say I disagree with the no age limit, as many times as I have had this conversation I continually feel the same. There is a reason for it and a good one at that. I trust the "higher" powers there.

Also disagree with bringing back the 6.0. This I am torn on because I believe in tradition, history and sentimental at the same time I believe more in EVOLUTION.

Figures are a good test and I believe they would provide valid evaluation of skaters abilities. And if they came back I think you could drop the age requirements because this would really show the skaters maturity and putting a point value on said aspects would eliminate the skaters under 15 anyhow - JMO. But for goodness sake do not try to broadcast Figures in entirety. Highlights only which IMO could provide good explanation of the finite line between abilities / styles.

And I still feel a "challenge of skills" much like a track and field compulsories would be great, but also risky for injuries - although the idea of risk increasing sounds scary I think the viewers would expand with such a "skill compared to skill" rather than your average view trying to decipher the intricacies of a programme would help understanding and viewer interest. JMO as always!

Last I will mention again, a real time score in the corners of the monitor during telecasts and one at the rink. I am so dead set this is a good idea but fear if introduced at this point in FS most would see it a a "gimmick" and not appreciate it. - yes again.

Great I got started :cool::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: