Senior Pairs SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs SP

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
What happened with Brooke Castile and Benjamin Okolski? I saw on the results page that they had a deduction-was that a fall?

Michelle'sFan

~tapdancer

On the Ice
She fell on the sbs jump (salchow?) and she also stepped out of the throw jump. Not a good skate for Brooke.

Anyone knows, who sits near me at at competition, that I kibbitz constantly. Well, just before Denny/Barrett took the ice, I mentioned to all in hearing distance, that I watched their Sectional on icenetwork before I got to Cleveland. So I said: This team will be special in the future. I didn't realize the future was so soon. They have fabulous technical skills and above average performance. And they are not trained by Sappenfeld.

I do not think it will keep McL/Bru from LA but they could be the 'other'team.

Keep a watch on the LP for them.

At the comp, I/B were better than ever, and maybe should have beaten mcl/Bru. A big surprise was Yankowskas/Coughlin. So the choices for LA are not set in stone.

fanofskate

Rinkside
Well, based on the SP performance, the speed, control, difficulty and those wonderful, well-synchronized spins...I like the pairs future that Denny/Barrett are projecting. Wow, what a performance.

waxel

Final Flight
I/B slop out another SP top 3 (and probably berth to Worlds). M/B have not improved at all this season, and with their age and potential this is sad to see. Kinda fun to see Denney and Barrett on top, even though there was nothing special about their program other than no glaring errors.

Several teams seem to have been harshed- but too late to go into it- I watched Pairs SP on-demand after the Splatfest ... er ... Ladies SP.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Caydee's birthday's June 22, 1993, so she'll be 16 before July, which AFAIR is just barely old enough.

I was surprised to see I&B try a triple twist. I don't think I've ever seen them complete a fully clean one ever, which is why when twists were lower valued, they always did a Level 4 double. The twist was close to a quarter short, so I wonder whether it was down levelled, and they surely took a GOE hit for the chest crash.

Other than that (and the dreadful costumes), that was a good program from them. Nice 2A's and a very good throw triple loop. The star lift went up neatly with good position in the air by Rena and good ice coverage and they had good speed and synchronization in the spins, as always. I want to see the protocols to see whether they got the level3 on the death spiral. The rules changed last year and they've had problems getting above level 2 since the change. And the double axel is worth less than the 3t or 3s, of course.

M&B had a number of problems. Rockne stepped out on the triple salchow, but I think he was less than a quarter turn short, but it was close and might have been downgraded. The triple twist was not as awesome now that she's taller and a bit heavier, and they had a chest crash (but fully rotated) but she didn't get that full lateral positions she used to get, or the heighth. Finally, she the throw triple loop (simple entry) was large, but she had a bad landing and stumbled out of it. Plus the synchronization on the spin wasn't great. The lift went up nicely, although I've always found it puzzling that she aggressively points her heel in the air position rather than her toe. She has very nice extension and body position other than the foot. In fact, it would be defensible to have I&B a bit ahead of them, rather than virtually tied.

Denney and Barrett had a triple twist without a chest crash, very nice triple toes, a decent throw triple flip. The star lift had really weak air position and not great ice coverage. The SBS spins were very well synchronized. It close as to whether he put his foot down in the pair spin. If so, it would be downgraded. They also had a bad case of airplane arms, and her carriage while skating is not top notch. The half point base advantage over M&B they gain from the throw triple flip, they lose because the triple toe is worth a half point less than the salchow.

As a result, the 3 teams are virtually tied.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
I/B slop out another SP top 3 (and probably berth to Worlds). M/B have not improved at all this season, and with their age and potential this is sad to see. Kinda fun to see Denney and Barrett on top, even though there was nothing special about their program other than no glaring errors.

Several teams seem to have been harshed- but too late to go into it- I watched Pairs SP on-demand after the Splatfest ... er ... Ladies SP.

I disagree about M/B. Keauna's consistency on her 3S is much improved this season. She's landed them cleanly in every single program, except the one she popped in the long at SC. Last year, it was basically the complete opposite, as she had just learned the jump. Rockne's not jumping as consistently as last year, but I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. They just added in 3T's this season that aren't consistent. But it's a new element for them and it may take time to get used to. Their throws are definitely getting better and more consistent now. Less than two years ago, they were still doing a throw double loop in their free, so they've come a long way in a short period of time.

Also, their programs are better. I mean, they obviously still have a ways to go with consistency (who IS consistent in pairs nowadays?), but we forget how young they are. A top pair that's 16 and 22 is rare, and they aren't going to become perfect overnight. For now, I think they are doing pretty darn well.

And these skaters are human. Keauna had a high fever this week, and they are coming into this with the pressure of having to defend their title (and make their first world team). They've never competed in the same competition twice before, never mind know what it's like to have to defend a title. So this is all new to them. It's a lot different when you are coming into a competition with zero expectations, no pressure, and nobody knows who you are.

Last edited:
Don't forget Denny was a champion Roller Skater before switching, so she is not new to competitions. The switch is easy once you get those heavy skates off but the edges are tough.

Unlike Skate Dance, this had some greatness in it. The obvious choices were beaten and with I&B saying 'we're not dead yet', it was quite a night.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well, based on the SP performance, the speed, control, difficulty and those wonderful, well-synchronized spins...I like the pairs future that Denny/Barrett are projecting. Wow, what a performance.

I love her face when the score went up. Great performance. I hope they can keep up the good work in the free. McLaughlin and Brubaker looked a littler nervous, i felt like they were rushing through that program. They barely even held the ending pose. What I liked is that most of the american pairs have a lot of speed compared to some of the others. Somtimes i felt some os them were skating too fast for the music, but then again watching pair spirals that inch across the ice is painful on the eyes.

sillylionlove

Medalist

I had never heard of this pair until last night. But they really impressed me. While they aren't polished....they do give me some hope for pairs skating in the US.

As for I/B.....they are like the enegizer bunny....they keep going and going and going.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Grouch warning! Read on at your own risk ..:p

I'm glad that Denny/Barrett did well and that we have another nice young team to watch, but last year posts were over the moon about M/B, who were supposed to storm all international comps in their wake right from the get-go and never look back. ;) Also in the ladies last year, Wagner after one good comp was supposed to be our best hope for getting 3 spots for Worlds and be right up there in medal contention at her first international event, and beyond.

Sorry to be a Scrooge, but, like the ever-wise Doris, let's look at these new competitors with realistically critical eyes. She found several nice things about D/B, but also noted airplane arms, bad posture, weak lift, and other things. Although most posters did note they need polish, if their lifts need work and maybe their spins also, perhaps there are more issues than lack of polish. ??? Will be interesting to see the LP.

Ok, wet blanket removed, no more negativity from me ... at least for a day or two:laugh:.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I will be rooting for I/B for gold. Say what you will about them but at least they look like they are pair skating and not acrobatic skating. JMO.

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
I will be rooting for I/B for gold. Say what you will about them but at least they look like they are pair skating and not acrobatic skating. JMO.

Me too. :clap: I certainly hope they make the world team. Does the US just get to send two or is it three?

Michelle'sFan

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States

Me too. :clap: I certainly hope they make the world team. Does the US just get to send two or is it three?

Michelle'sFan

Me three! Rena and John continue to improve in their polish and work as a pair. They've also seemed to have really learned what music works well for them. When I get to see their new programs for the last few seasons, I'm always struck by that. Music that lends a little energy and excitement but still matches their maturity.

I think McL/Bru are the best team and this contest gave them a wake-up call. They will be more careful. Hope West Side Story works. I believe the international judges do not like it.

However, the Roller Champ and her partner are goooood.