Looking for a pairs partner in the Seattle Area | Golden Skate

Looking for a pairs partner in the Seattle Area

kodiaknative

Spectator
My daughter is looking for a pairs partner in the Seattle Area. She is 9 years old and has been skating for 3 years.

Clarice

Rinkside
And what level is she, and what jumps does she do? Potential partners are going to want to know that, and maybe also her projected height. Probably the best thing is for her coach to scope out potential partners at competitions and talk to the boys' coaches about possible tryouts.

kodiaknative

Spectator
Thank you so much

Dear Clarice and Flying Nun:

Thank you for your advice. I sure appreciate this. I will definitely take your advice.

Kodiaknative

Clarice

Rinkside
Okay, I see a bio up on icepartnersearch that I assume is yours - that's a good start. But it indicates that she doesn't yet have a single axel (and that's fine - it's important to be upfront about skill levels). However, you should know that the team that won Juvenile Pairs this year had side-by-side double axels. So your skater really has a long way to go. Her best bet right now is to really work hard on her singles skills so she has something to bring to the table when forming a pair team. If you can find a partner for her to begin learning basic partnering skills - how to time spins, stroking, etc. - that would be great, but it sounds like she really isn't advanced enough yet to be a competitive pair skater, even at the Juvenile level. We have a young pair team at our rink (the girl is also 9), but she has all her doubles through lutz, and the team was not formed until she did. Not trying to discourage you, but the extra pair lessons will cost you in time and money, and maybe that would be better spent right now in developing singles skills. If you can do it all at once, more power to you!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Clairce is right. Most pairs do not start until each partner is juv or above. Wait until she gets most of her doubles, make sure she works on skating skills and basic spin poistions. Having a great layback or donut spin will not help much in pairs. If you and your daughter are set on skating pairs, then you might want to have her take a break from competing for a while. Right now she should just be improving her skills.