What happened to Johnny Weir? | Golden Skate

What happened to Johnny Weir?

krenseby

Final Flight
What happened to Johnny Weir? It seemed like he had a good season, had prepared himself to execute his jumps pretty decently, and yet had a total breakdown at Nationals. That's kinda shocking given that he hasn't been a slacker and he and coach Galina really focused on jump training. Was it nerves? Did he regress to an earlier inferior jump technique that brought about all these mistakes? More importantly, does this forecast a long term jumping issue that could really set him back in his future international competitions like the Grand Prix final events?

taylorfax

On the Ice
None of the above. I just don't think he's in shape. Too many illnesses in a row between competitions and travel and too little time to recover.

figsk8r2

Rinkside
Yeah, I think he probably lost some training time and is still somewhat weak from his illnesses. The mistake in the short program was a fluke for him, and I think being placed so low probably threw him off for the long. Really unfortunate to see, but I hope he somehow still ends up on the world team. I think one of the commentators mentioned that had he decided he wasn't prepared enough and withdrawn, then petitioned for a spot on the team, he probably would've gotten it. Kind of made me angry to think of that!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
None of the above. I just don't think he's in shape. Too many illnesses in a row between competitions and travel and too little time to recover.
That's what he said in an interview and also that he lost 8 lbs.

Dee

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Watching him skate this season and listening to his interview last week, I'd already started to wonder if possibly the "sacred fire" has gone out. I'm wondering that even more now.

flying camel

Medalist
It has been a long season. Johnny & Evan both appear burnt out and tired. They look like they need a long vacation to have a shot at next year. The young guns are starting to pass them by. I don't see them both making it to the Olympics next year.

Last edited:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Even though Johnny stayed focused and trained hard this year, I just can't help but think that he is a delicate soul. These side trips that he takes to foreign countries during the competitive season don't seem to help matters. Perhaps he would have been wise to skip the Korea show and thus perhaps avoid the last bug he contracted. He seems to be very affected and taken down by illnesses much more than other skaters.

Dizzy

elinmand

Rinkside
What happened to Johnny? The "new" judging system that makes skaters focus on racking up points rather than doing what they're good at and doing it brilliantly.

Beyond that--

I'm a Johnny fan and always want to see him do well. I keep waiting for him to come through when it counts, and it hasn't been happening lately. There always seems to be some kind of physical problem that crops up right around major competitions--foot problems, back problems, a bad cold, a virus--and it makes me wonder if he's taking as good care of himself as he should.

I don't question his decisions to travel and perform in Europe and Asia, because those trips are in part responsible for his large international fan base. I never questioned his decisions to appear in fashion shows or award shows, because he can't be on the ice 24/7, and even if he were, it would make him less interesting.

What I think he needs is strength training and a better diet. From what he says, he's been living for years on several coffee drinks plus one modest meal a day, and worries that eating more would make him sluggish and "fat" (as if!). Those coffee drinks are loaded with mostly-empty calories, and can interfere with sleep patterns and energy levels. And a bit more muscle would not only help his rotations and improve his self-image, but could also increase his metabolic rate so he could eat more real food.

I want Johnny to keep being Johnny. I love both his artistry and his personality. But I want him to take good enough care of himself so he's around for a long time.

Very nice post, Elinmand, ITA.

Not that it's very relevant, but Johnny's skin color in the Truth Booth was bizarre. Did he cook himself in order to look healthy for TV? Didn't work.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Thanks! Wow, the reigning Bronze medalist not going. Not surprising given the National result. But still shocking that he missed it. Hope he could make the Olympic team.

BTW, I wish he hadn't done the show in Korea. I feel that it affected his showing here.

Last edited:

taylorfax

On the Ice
It has been a long season. Johnny & Evan both appear burnt out and tired. They look like they need a long vacation to have a shot at next year. The young guns are starting to pass them by. I don't see them both making it to the Olympics next year.
God I truly hope that won't be the case. Because.. well, I already said this elsewhere but it bears repeating, no wonder the US has no gold medals lately if the federation is that stupid. Those guys both have Olympic experience and know what it's like and can and want to do better in the one more Olys that they have in them. (The youngsters can afford to wait a bit, they have more time before their bodies give up on them as well.) And despite my never really liking Evan's skating that much, I absolutely hope he's on that team. Him and Johnny both.

What illnesses? I haven't heard about this, so please explain!
Bad cold during the last GP event, hooked up to an IV at Christmas.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
God I truly hope that won't be the case. Because.. well, I already said this elsewhere but it bears repeating, no wonder the US has no gold medals lately if the federation is that stupid. Those guys both have Olympic experience and know what it's like and can and want to do better in the one more Olys that they have in them. (The youngsters can afford to wait a bit, they have more time before their bodies give up on them as well.) And despite my never really liking Evan's skating that much, I absolutely hope he's on that team. Him and Johnny both..

Abbott is not a youngster, he is 23 same as Evan. He cannot wait and the way he's been prepared this year shows that he's a focused athlete, unlike Johhny. He is setting himself up well for his second Worlds and if he would medal, that would be a perfect set up for his Olympic quest. And because historically, when US hosted the Worlds, usually one man medals (hint, hint) I have some very good feelings for him. As far as Johnny, I would not bet right now on him, anyting.

Last edited:

taylorfax

On the Ice
Abbott is not a youngster, he is 23 same as Evan. He cannot wait and they way he's been prepared this year shows that he's a focused athlete, unlike Johhny. He is setting himself up well for his second Worlds and if he would medal, that would be a perfect set up for his Olympic quest. And because historically, when US hosted the Worlds, usually one man medals (hint, hint) I have some very good feelings for him. As far as Johnny, I would not bet right now on him, anyting.
I wasn't talking about Abbott. (Although he hasn't made the top ten at Worlds and has never been to the Olympics.)
I also think calling Johnny unfocused is crap, and his international achievements and ranking prove it, even though at the moment, I think he could use the rest.
But I think the decision was dumb still and I hope to god Evan and Jeremy will get those spots. So you could say I do not share the same good fuzzy feelings... I hope I'm wrong. Still, when was the last time the US National champion medalled at Worlds, the pressure is immense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
didn't Evan medal in 07? He has two world bronzes... doesn't he? *brain fart... give me a break I've been up since 2am!*

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that both Evan and Johnny need to stop thinking about the quad. They can bot do it beautifully in practice, but that is not helping them when it counts. Evan was 4th in Torino after a very bad short and no quad in the long. If he skates clean, and works on his 3 axles more to get them cleaner he would easily medal. Same goes for Johnny. All the quad stuff gets them injured and tired and WAY to stressed out.