Hersh on Michelle | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hersh on Michelle

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I have to laugh at this one,:

Trivia: when did Michelle last time landed 7 triples in a LP ?? :rofl:

You are dreaming ...big time!

If you promise not to spoil Michelle's party I will answer your trivia question:)

2001 Worlds qualifying round and 2001 Worlds LP.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Michelle won't be the Mchelle in 2005 or even in 2006. To use her records before 2006 to compare with the current field, yes, she can. But if she comes back, she will be a new Michelle. I am not optimistic about it. Don't do that, Michelle. Sasha Cohen might have better chance, but still it's not an optimistic choice for Sasha either.

Kathy

On the Ice
Michelle won't be the Mchelle in 2005 or even in 2006. To use her records before 2006 to compare with the current field, yes, she can. But if she comes back, she will be a new Michelle. I am not optimistic about it. Don't do that, Michelle. Sasha Cohen might have better chance, but still it's not an optimistic choice for Sasha either.

Yeah - a new Michelle with a new hip - she might be a much better skater than than 2005/2006 since she'll actually have a hip to land on - one that was seriously damaged since 2003. Not to worry MK won't come back if she doesn't have a hip to stand on of performing well.

Last edited:

kittyjake5

On the Ice

Good point but I don't think anyone is trying to compare her past record to what she could possibly do in the future and that goes for Sasha too. That is why Michelle and Sasha are "taking it one day at a time".

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, it's hard to know who would have a harder time, Michelle or Sasha. The current rules are tough on underrotations and bad edges into jumps, and Sasha has from time to time had problems there. Plus spirals and steps are graded more on depth of edge these days, and Sasha was not always one for the deep edge. Michelle's jumps were more textbook, but her spins weren't complex enough for the higher levels. So it's a crap shoot which would manage the highest base mark.

If Michelle got back her 3t3t (which was very nice back in the day when she could do it), Michelle might have a shot. She could rotate a camel spin both ways, which is a plus these days. OTOH She had a rather inflexible back and I doubt could ever do a Biellmann, which seems to be required everywhere now.

herios

Medalist
OTOH She had a rather inflexible back and I doubt could ever do a Biellmann said:
Nope it's not anymore. Joannie Rochette doesn't have one, she doesn't even perform a layback in her LP (where is not a requirement) and she is in the top 3 in the world in Lp scores

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Kimmie Meissner does not do the Biellmann either.

Does anyone know what exact surgery Michelle had on her hip? Was it a complete hip replacement, or just a repair? (I hope the latter.) It's great to know she's not in pain any more.

dorispulaski said:
The 3/3's are so penalized for UR that a Michelle clean 6 or 7 triple skate could win!

herios said:
I have to laugh at this one,:

Trivia: when did Michelle last time landed 7 triples in a LP ??

You are dreaming ...big time!

kittyjakes said:
If you promise not to spoil Michelle's party I will answer your trivia question

2001 Worlds qualifying round and 2001 Worlds LP.

The last few times that Michelle delivered a 6 triple performance:

2002 GP final
2002 Worlds qualifying
2002 Worlds LP
2003 U.S. nationals
2003 Wprlds qualifying
2003 Worlds LP
2004 U.S. Nationals
(Also 2004 Campbell's. OK, a cheesefest, but still...)

After 2004 Nationals her injury became too severe to keep up the pace. But she was regularly doing 6+ triple programs throughout her entire 10 year career.

According to Heather's Jump Statistics, Michelle did a total of 42 six or seveb triple performances in major competititon.

So...can she get back to that level? That is what the discussion is about. One day at a time. :)

Last edited:

Kathy

On the Ice
Kimmie Meissner does not do the Biellmann either.

Does anyone know what exact surgery Michelle had on her hip? Was it a complete hip replacement, or just a repair? (I hope the latter.) It's great to know she's not in pain any more.

It was not a hip replacement. It was a repair. Word has been that while not "training" she was off the ice for almost a year, but was involved in othe physical activity to help the hip heal. She has skated regularly since at UD doing doubles including the axel and other stuff. Just a month ago we began to hear about "training." MK says she feels no pain while skating for the first time since 2003/2004. The surgeon she went to reportedly specializes in trying to return athletes to their competitive potential. I'm just hoping......

antmanb

Record Breaker
Although...Michelle Kwan is the one skater that Hersh has a little soft spot for.

A classic case of crusty old varmint meets irresisible charmer. :)

Yes he has but after she parted ways with Frank there was the whole season where he spat his dummy out and cried and wrote a load of crap about her too.

No-one is safe from his mean spirited "reporting" not even HRH :bow: La Kwan :bow:

:p

Ant

Sic transit. Hersh on Kwan has only 31 posts and 1149 views. Hersh on Johnny Weir -- 128 posts and 5649 views. ;)

soogar

Record Breaker
:chorus:Funny how a last year everyone touted the juniors at nationals and how they were unbeatable and this year everyone gets excited about the possible comebacks of Michelle and Sasha. The past few years in skating have been mercurial. Those same juniors who have been written off may come roaring back in time for the Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, how times change. That's why I'm not quite giving up hope yet. Rachel in particular might be getting ready to peak at the right time. Everyone is going through their ups and downs, though...this could be the toughest Olys to predict yet. It seems Asada and Kim could go 1-2 (in either order), but after the past two Games, you just never know who could sneak in there. Asada showed at TEB that she's vulnerable as well. I have to hope that NO ONE is unbeatable at this point.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:chorus:Funny how a last year everyone touted the juniors at nationals and how they were unbeatable and this year everyone gets excited about the possible comebacks of Michelle and Sasha. The past few years in skating have been mercurial. Those same juniors who have been written off may come roaring back in time for the Olympics.

Oh my!!! Soogar's back!!! Now you know Michelle & Sasha are gonna come back year!

(or has my delorian simply kicked me back five years??? anything's possible!)

As for the juniors, I hope you're right... because while Kimmie & Emily have struggled with changing bodies, school, and simply growing up - they did have their Olympic time to shine and I'd like to see this generation of US skaters have good experiences as well...

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for the juniors, I hope you're right... because while Kimmie & Emily have struggled with changing bodies, school, and simply growing up - they did have their Olympic time to shine and I'd like to see this generation of US skaters have good experiences as well...

Meissner may not be done quite yet.

An aside...funny how so many old-timers come out of the woodwork whenever Kwan is mentioned. :rofl:

soogar

Record Breaker
Meissner may not be done quite yet.

An aside...funny how so many old-timers come out of the woodwork whenever Kwan is mentioned. :rofl:

That's purely coincidental. I always lurk- don't have time for the protracted arguments anymore. Though I don't help my cause by posting on a Michelle thread :p.. I should've done it on Cohen's comeback thread.