Redoubt huffs and puffs, with big blow still possible | Golden Skate

Redoubt huffs and puffs, with big blow still possible

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/kenai/story/668618.html

A marked increase in seismic activity led scientists to upgrade the aviation color code for Redoubt from yellow to orange Sunday, indicating an eruption may be imminent.

Really hoping it quiets down. I'm allergic to Volcanic Ash (no joke) and I break out in rashes and hives and all that fun stuff... not really looking foward to being quarantined should this thing go off.

skamper23

Medalist
Oh my! I hope it settles down! Would you have to evacuate? Makes me feel kinda foolish worrying about another foot of snow coming tonight!! I'll take snow storms over Volcano eruptions!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no, there's no real evacuation needed. Anchorage is over 100 miles away, it's quite possible that the only thing we'll see is Ash (granted if it's something like Mt. St. Helens we might, but there's nothing to suggest the erruption will be that bad). I lived in Anchorage when Redoubt began errupting in 89, and we had moved to Kenai (about 50 miles away) as she continued to rain ash down in 90...

we'll just have to hunker down for a bit... I'll have to stay indoors and be pretty much covered up so that I don't end up with an allergic reaction.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Redoubt seems set to blow - http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/kenai/story/669692.html

If history is a guide, Redoubt should erupt in style, geologists say. Unlike volcanoes in Hawaii, which tend to ooze out slow-rolling lava, volcanoes in Alaska -- Redoubt included -- usually erupt explosively, shooting ash nearly eight miles high.

That's because the gas that's trying to escape the volcano gets blocked, either by a lava dome or thick, syrupy magma -- characteristic of the highly viscous material in Alaska volcanoes -- which increases the power below, AVO geologist Jennifer Adleman said.

"Its pressure keeps building and building. ..."

Then it blows.

the article seems so doom and gloom... though I'm worried about Kenai... though if it blows by 9am, according to the paper, Kenai wouldn't get it as bad.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I remember when Mt. St. Helen's errupted. We were all worried here in the lower mainland, however we were fine. I thought about you up there in Alaska when I heard the news. Take care.