Cohen considers Olympic comeback | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Cohen considers Olympic comeback

I guess my problem is that I am just not as enamored of the Olympics as many seem to be.

If you want to prove that you are the best skater in the world, there is a world championship competition exactly for that purpose. Go, skate, win, and you wear the mantle as the best in your sport.

I would rather that Sasha or Michelle would say, "I believe that I could be the best skater in America again. I am going to start training now for 2011 U.S. Nationals and prove that I am the best, if I can." Or...

"I believe I could become a serious candidate for the title of best skater in the world. I am going to start training now for 2011 Worlds."

But instead, the vibe that I am getting is more like, "Gee, the Olympics were a lot of fun, I want to go again. Maybe they will let me carry the flag in the opening ceremonies. Maybe my friends will see me on TV."

Last edited:
But instead, the vibe that I am getting is more like, "Gee, the Olympics were a lot of fun, I want to go again. Maybe they will let me carry the flag in the opening ceremonies. Maybe my friends will see me on TV."

Gosh, that's not the vibe I'm getting at all. I'm getting:
"I know I'm the best of the best and dangnabit I want everybody else to know it too,"
and
"There is absolutely nothing that fulfills me like pushing myself beyond my own limits to be the best in the world,"
and
"I thought I could stop but I found out I can't because my Olympic failure is still eating away at me and I have to prove I can really do it," and
"I know I still have more to give as a skater."

Some people look forward to retirement, others hate the very idea.

R.D.

Record Breaker

Wow, I get that same vibe...at least from Cohen, anyway. As for MK, she has had enough Olympic experience already and I think she truly wants that imaginary last shot at the OGM, which , realistically, is just not going to show up. She has been surpassed by the new NJS system.

My point is, if these skaters truly wanted it, they would have showed it already. I could understand MK backing off because of the injury she had, and Cohen wanting to take a year off from the Olympic stress, but waiting this long to commit, and the timing of everything just smacks of, I dunno, wanting the spotlight again. If either skater truly wanted to challenge herself (like Cohen was saying) then they could choose ANY season to come back. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that she wants to consider the Olympic season for a return. Why not this past year? Worlds is in her home town of LA. etcetera, etcetera.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am a great dreamer and I always have lots of hope.

This may be a very small would of but..............would of this could be the Olympics that Michelle could win.

Dee

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I guess my problem is that I am just not as enamored of the Olympics as many seem to be.

If you want to prove that you are the best skater in the world, there is a world championship competition exactly for that purpose. Go, skate, win, and you wear the mantle as the best in your sport.

I would rather that Sasha or Michelle would say, "I believe that I could be the best skater in America again. I am going to start training now for 2011 U.S. Nationals and prove that I am the best, if I can." Or...

"I believe I could become a serious candidate for the title of best skater in the world. I am going to start training now for 2011 Worlds."

Agree 110%. For me, World Champion is every bit as prestigious, important, and meaningful as Olympic Champion. The Olys have gotten so commercialized they're just a ridiculous dog and pony show. They're also a bit artificial as a measure of sport in that they're only every 4 years -- because how could we mount an Olys every year or even every 2 years? They're so big and expensive and require so many venues and arenas and music themes and mascots and so on and on -- which only goes to proving my contention it's more a show than a sporting event. Yes, I know Olys mean more to the general public, so they are more meaningful as far as publicity or popularity or whatever, but as a measure of sporting prowess, give me a World Champion and he/she has my respect every bit as much as any Oly Champion.

As far as Michelle, she was World and National champ many times over and I don't think anyone questions her greatness. I'm sure the lack of Oly Gold at times is very piercing for her, but for me as a fan it bothers me less and less as time goes on. It's not like anyone questions she was one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, to ever lace up a pair of skates. I thought I'd always mourn Michelle's lack of Oly gold, nah, not at all anymore.

Not sure about Sasha. She does seem to like to come out at regularly-spaced intervals with her plans to return. And I never thought she seemed to enjoy competing, anyway -- in fact just the opposite, competition seemed to really unnerve her. But maybe she has a different perspective on it now, having been away a few years.

Last edited:
We are talking about 4 very different skaters: Sasha, Kwan, Nagasu, Zhang. For all the balletomanes, that conjures up Pas de Quatre where the 4 greatest balerinas in the world were brought together to dance in a quartette. There was lots of over politeness among them. hmmm.

Now in figure skating, two of the four, could return to eligibility. Many of their fans want to see that spirit of competion resume the way it was. Memories like the corners of my mind, etc. It's really up to the skaters to decide whether to return or not. Sasha hints at it, and Michelle seems to be a coy as usual.

Mirai and Caroline should not be ruled out. They are both talented young ladies. By Oly time, Mirai's growth spurt should be over and Caroline will have eliminated the mule kick (but she still needs something besides legato music)

Unfortunately neither will be at Worlds for a closer look. Lets check out that 4CC.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Not quite sure I understand your post or logic but maybe Plushenko & Sasha are someones favorites and they are hopeful about them as you are hopeful.

Dee

What's not to understand? Sure, Cohen and Plushenko fans can be hopeful. I'm just saying that I'll be rooting for Michelle to come back because she's my favorite skater. Personally, it wouldn't really matter at all to me if Cohen or Plushenko came back. If Michelle comes back though, I'd be thrilled!:clap:

fairly4

Medalist
Mirai UR all her jumps at nationals--she skated okay--maybe better.
But as far as sasha comeback.
well-i amnot saying anything

ANW

On the Ice
Zhang have a "long-standing UR habit"? This is just plain ridiculous! Yes her 3-3 sometimes got DGed this season, but so was everyone else. Her other jumps are just fine. Zhang needs to correct her mule kick and People need to correct their prejudice.

Caroline needs to lose that donkey kick into her pick jumps, correct her long-standing UR habit, and skate with much more speed to even make it onto the Olympic team, never mind win an Olympic medal.

At 2009 Nationals, she placed 3rd and won't be going to Worlds 2009. If the US has only two spots for the Olympics, Caroline will still face the same competitors she did this season, with a resurgent Mirai Nagasu.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just got through watching Sasha Cohen's "Moonlight Sonata" program over on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfqb8vh9Chs ) for the first time ever & it is my sincere honest opinion that she should return to competition in the Fall and participate in the 2010 US Nationals. I think she's good enough to make the US Olympic Team next year, barring unforeseen injury, et al, which goes for ALL the ladies.

She already has an Olympic Silver Medal, she's got nothing to lose, only regret if she *doesn't* do it, then looks back in 20 yrs. and says "darn I should've went for it"....

JMHO, as always.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I just got through watching Sasha Cohen's "Moonlight Sonata" program over on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfqb8vh9Chs ) for the first time ever & it is my sincere honest opinion that she should return to competition in the Fall and participate in the 2010 US Nationals. I think she's good enough to make the US Olympic Team next year, barring unforeseen injury, et al, which goes for ALL the ladies.

She already has an Olympic Silver Medal, she's got nothing to lose, only regret if she *doesn't* do it, then looks back in 20 yrs. and says "darn I should've went for it"....

JMHO, as always.

I agree that she's got nothing to lose by going for it (unless she wants to make sure she's remembered on a high note). However, in this program she only does a triple toeloop and triple salchow. WIthout the flip and lutz, she might not even make the final group at U.S. Nationals.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree that she's got nothing to lose by going for it (unless she wants to make sure she's remembered on a high note). However, in this program she only does a triple toeloop and triple salchow. WIthout the flip and lutz, she might not even make the final group at U.S. Nationals.

Sasha would not try and compete if she is unable to get all her jumps back. She said herself that she is "working towards getting into Olympic shape again." That means landing flip, lutzes and loops consistently and cleanly. If she is unable to get them back, she won't attempt a comeback. She is not stupid.

Nadine

Record Breaker

My original reply was purely organic/intuitive....just pure intuition & sixth sense....yet, I believe in it. :)