Cohen considers Olympic comeback | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Cohen considers Olympic comeback

No, Mirai! :yes: She shot up 5 inches, broke her foot, suffered her requisite teenaged angst, had to be pushed out onto the ice in tears for the LP at nationals -- and still kicked some serious booty.

Next year, with all that behind her -- look out! :)
Well, I can't argue with that. Little miss Mirai beats everyone in the adorable department and her drive is champion material. That is, if it doesn't wipe her out. (Listen to your coaches, Mirai!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't recall *WE* said anything, maybe you...

I sure didn't. I meant it as a collective term. Alyssa was beginning to pick up some of that Olympic hype off of her unexpectedly strong debut at SA and SC. Then, at GPF, things started crashing down. Didn't get better at nationals and she was short of the Olympic team by several spots.

being national champion means something different than Skate Canada champ.

Yes, one is a major championship and the other is a GP win.

Johar

Medalist
Eh, maybe she will do a Katarina Witt and skate at the Olympics just for the fun and spirit of it.

If she's not serious about it, she won't get there at all. It's not like there aren't other hungry talents in US figure skating.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I know there are a few exceptions to this, but I don't think most of us, or the skating fans in the US in general have become really attached to any of the "new crop" any more than the international judges have. Few of us live to see Raechel, Caroline or Ashley win a olympic medal they way we did for michelle or sasha.
Point? If these women want to go through the training and pressure to do it again, we should all support the 100%.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she's not serious about it, she won't get there at all. It's not like there aren't other hungry talents in US figure skating.

BINGO

she has to want it. and she has to hold up physically. Otherwise...better get a nice big screen TV to enjoy the Games ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not fair to the other Olympic hopefuls, esp. if there are only 2 spots

It is if she wins a spot. They have just as much a chance on the ice as she does.

Just like Mroz had against Weir and Lysacek... and he whooped up on both of them.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Not fair to the other Olympic hopefuls, esp. if there are only 2 spots

And again i say - how's that not fair. If you are an Olympic hopeful then beat everyone there is to beat in order to win your ticket.

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I know there are a few exceptions to this, but I don't think most of us, or the skating fans in the US in general have become really attached to any of the "new crop" any more than the international judges have. Few of us live to see Raechel, Caroline or Ashley win a olympic medal they way we did for michelle or sasha.
Point? If these women want to go through the training and pressure to do it again, we should all support the 100%.

You are so right... I remember feeling "oh, how nice that Alyssa won" at the end of Nationals this year... so drama, no passion. The only time I was moved was watching Mirai cry before her skate. And even that was more material instinct than really cheering for her... The others were just on the ice.

Its like the year of the baseball had minor leaguers during the players strike. Just not the same.

antman said:
And again i say - how's that not fair. If you are an Olympic hopeful then beat everyone there is to beat in order to win your ticket.

Yes...but...there is still a little part of me that wonders if there isn't a certain amount of self-indulgence at play.

If you think about it, these Olympic athletes spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of their parents' money in training so that they can say, I paddled my kayak faster than you did, I jumped farther than the other guy on a pair of skis.

Once you've done that, isn't it time to look around for new worlds to conquer, and let the next paddler paddle for glory?

I still think Caroline has the best chance to win a medal, if not gold, at the Olympics. however, she needs to stop being a one-note ballerina and get more aggresssive music. She can save Shubert for the Gala.

Flutzes are not heavily on the minus rating table, but URs are very much so, so I wouldn't worry about Sasha's flutzes, but does she underrotate?

If you think about it, these Olympic athletes spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of their parents' money in training so that they can say, I paddled my kayak faster than you did, I jumped farther than the other guy on a pair of skis.

Once you've done that, isn't it time to look around for new worlds to conquer, and let the next paddler paddle for glory?
Not all athletes depend on their parents. Some squeeze practice time in before and after work. It's the thrill of competing - not the how can I make a million?
Many of the elite athletes in sports have sponsors for the less endowed athlete.
Figure Skating little girls need exercise so why not skate? They also get sponsors if they are good at it and can't afford it. Those that don't do well, will not get sponsores. They will not compete but still have fun as children should.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think Caroline has the best chance to win a medal, if not gold, at the Olympics. however, she needs to stop being a one-note ballerina and get more aggresssive music. She can save Shubert for the Gala.

Caroline needs to lose that donkey kick into her pick jumps, correct her long-standing UR habit, and skate with much more speed to even make it onto the Olympic team, never mind win an Olympic medal.

At 2009 Nationals, she placed 3rd and won't be going to Worlds 2009. If the US has only two spots for the Olympics, Caroline will still face the same competitors she did this season, with a resurgent Mirai Nagasu.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yes...but...there is still a little part of me that wonders if there isn't a certain amount of self-indulgence at play.

Not really - that's like telling someone they should change careers because they've gotten to the top, and should find something else to do, heaven forbid they continue doing what they are good at, even if they don't necessarily perform at quite the same level they did when they were younger.

Even more so if the next paddler won't paddle as well as you! As we've said - wouldn't you as a skater prefer to say - yeah I won nationals ahead of Granny Kwan and Granny Cohen when they thought they might be able to get a trip to the Olympics - i showed them by beating them.

Ant

Caroline needs to lose that donkey kick into her pick jumps, correct her long-standing UR habit, and skate with much more speed to even make it onto the Olympic team, never mind win an Olympic medal.

At 2009 Nationals, she placed 3rd and won't be going to Worlds 2009. If the US has only two spots for the Olympics, Caroline will still face the same competitors she did this season, with a resurgent Mirai Nagasu.

Isn't that just wishful thinking - the same as Joe's wishful thinking about Zhang? At this point in time assuming either skater will be any better off next year than they were this year is pure speculation on either part.

Ant

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nagasu had a huge growth spurt over the summer and she was coping with an injured ankle as well. But her Nationals FS turned out to be a lot better than many people thought. She is adjusting to her new body, and she will probably be improved by next season. If that does happen, and meanwhile Caroline is still mule-kicking, underrotating and skating at a snail's pace, I could see Mirai passing Caroline in 2010.

Caroline has yet to beat Rachael Flatt, and she may also have an improved Ashley Wagner to contend with next season.

How would you formulate this in a rule?
"No one over the age of 22/23/24/25 is allowed to compete at Nationals"?
"No one with an Olympic medal is allowed to compete at another Olympics"?
Sorry, but it's ridiculous. If the world has a 30-year-old athlete who can beat the young Turks, people want to see it and marvel! It's about who's best, not who deserves a treat.
Maybe you are hankering for the old pro/amateur distinction, but the problem with that is that there's hardly any pro world left. It's easy to say Sasha or Michelle should make buckets in SOI, but after the death of COI and the cancellations of SOI in various cities, I really don't believe those buckets exist, or can be counted on to exist in the future.
As for the idea that they "should" do something else ... well, who are we to tell them that? Some people have just one big gift or passion, and the world is richer for it. They're allowed to devote their lives to it... or aren't they?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're not saying that they can't return to the Olympic stage, it's that maybe they shouldn't.

It isn't a case where both skaters (Cohen and Kwan) were busy training and competing over the past few years and keeping up their skills while they weren't trying for the Nationals team and Worlds, like Todd Eldredge before the 2002 Olympics.

Eldredge was doing pro-Ams (no longer available) and working hard during his absence from National/World competition. But he did return in the 2000-2001 season, competed at Nationals and Worlds, and even won a 2001 World medal.

Cohen has been pursuing an acting career while headlining in SOI since 2006 Worlds. She has recently begun a limited training regimen while still putting off a decision until June of 2009 on returning to competition and full-time training.

Kwan had hip surgery in 2006 and during her recuperation has devoted her time to finishing college and completing good-will ambassadorial assignments for the US government. She has recently resumed training but has not said whether she will return to competition.

With the Olympics just a year away, neither skater can honestly say at this point that they are anywhere near at a competitive level in their skating. Considering that they are 24 and 28, it just looks to me as if they have waited too long to make a commitment and it is now too late.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wasn't there an female olympic swimmer that came back after so many years to another olympics (aka out of retirement) this year? I remember a story like that - human interest stories are far better for the sport than I think even the Michael Phelps stories. Who identifies with Michael? Who can identify with a mom who did something great in her field, took time off to be a mom (another great field) and then came back 'against all odds' and defeated "kids" who were supposed to be "better" than the past generation.