Samuel Contesti/Brandon Mroz - Compare and Contrast | Golden Skate

Samuel Contesti/Brandon Mroz - Compare and Contrast

Here are our two spoilers this year and both heading to 2009 Worlds in LA. How do you think they will fit into the scheme of things?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I'm really looking forward to what these 2 skaters can produce at the World Championships! They both could be spoiler worthy if Contesti repeats his European skates and if Mroz can repeat his Nationals LP and add more speed and expression/interpretation to his skating. Brandon has to skate his SP better than he did at Nationals though in order to really breakthrough!

Mroz seems to have a firm grasp on 4toe technique and the technique on all of his other jumps works very well too. Can he be consistent though? How will an ISU panel judge him in PCS in contrast to an all American panel at Nationals? To my knowledge, he's never had a skate like this year's Nationals LP in a senior international event. His speed, choreography, transitions, and musical interpretation are not up to the advanced level of Abbott, Chan, or Oda. It'll be interesting to see what happens!

Contesti certainly has an entertaining showman quality to his skating that I find reminiscent of Philippe Candeloro, yet he also seems lighter on his feet to me than Candeloro ever did, thankfully. He may not have the quad jump in his programs, but he certainly proved that he can skate well under pressure at Europeans in the SP AND the LP and I'm really looking forward to him at Worlds. The technique on the jumps he does appears steady to my eyes. I hope he continues on this consistent streak of clean performances!

I wish both of these men the very best of luck as I'm a new fan to both of them this year. Realistically, I could see both of them finishing in the 5th-10th range if all the skaters skate up to their potential.

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
I was prepared for a really boring season in the men's field this fall. 2 big skaters retired, another had a serious injury and my more low ranked favourites also still limping of injuries.
But a new angel whirled in through my telly and jumped straight into my heart; Contesti. He's smart, a really good jumper, funny to watch and you can see he really enjoys skating. He's my new love of the season, he made this watchable again. I'm so thrilled to see what he will come up to at Worlds. He can be the sensation of the year, he has forewarned us already...

I watched Mroz's LP from US National, but had to stop before he was finished. He was so boring to watch... No expression, no feeling for the music and you can really tell he was a hockey player, he looks like a back, big and quadrangular. But I'm willing to give him a second chance. I'm looking forward to see what he can to in LA. It's fun with some new skaters (yes you see, I'm over that Johnny won't go ;) ), they are the future.

But to compare Contesti - Mroz? They're like apple and orange. Mroz has the technique (and a really good one I must say) but not the expression (at least not in my eyes, his PCS tells another story). Contesti may not have the quad, but he has the rest, he knows how to catch and give the feeling, and in such an easy way.

I'll cheer for Samuel, but I think Brandon will beat him, he's a better jumper (that LP quad made me feel soo good :bow: )

Edit: But on the other hand, Jeff showed us last year that you can win without a quad so... go Samuel!! :rock:

Last edited:
Very good posts ^^.

I agree about Mroz. Not the extrovert we expect in Figure Skating, but quite able to handle the CoP.

Am anxiously waiting for IN to put up the On Demands for Euros to see Contesti. I remember him from a few years ago and thought of him as better than average, but now I must see.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Contesti is okay. I wasn't overly impressed with anything he did. His presentation is showy but not really great, imo. Too cliche.

Mroz has a lot of potential.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Contesti was the most interesting "issue" in Helsinki.
He had a great choreo which showed all of his shiny sides and covered all of the problems. I find it too showy sometimes to compete, but was entertaining without a doubt. He can be a reason to watch the competition, but not the one, who can win something yet.
Also a nice, honest face, which he learned how to use. Matters it or not.