Whom do you think will have a Meltdown? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Whom do you think will have a Meltdown?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Am I the only person who thinks Brian isn't going to have a melt down. When he does, I usually feel it weeks in advance, but not now. I don't think he'll perform his best, but I don't think we'll be seeing something like 05 worlds or 06 Olys.
I don't think he will either. He is such a fighter, let's make that F-I-G-H-T-E-R. I think he just loves coming back after people wrote him off. Last year at Worlds, despite the fact that he didn't win, must have been a huge confidence builder in terms of keeping it together at big competitions. Everyone before him broke apart, and he, despite the illness that made him look overly thin and sick all season, despite the stupid fall on the Lutz - just got out there and produced a clean, albeit not fully maxed-out, performance.

This season everything is about the younger ones, the ones that are "fully adapted to COP", lots of people are saying that Brian is a skater of the past, then there is the whole Quad thing, plus people outside of Europe just love to trash him -- I think it will make Brian even stronger. He will come to L.A. ready for battle: against the younger ones, against the constant stream of neat little well-behaved uncontroversial boys with their neat little COPish lyrical programs in their neat little respectable costumes, against the Quad-haters... I don't know if he will win the battle, but he will give it his best shot and I for one am very happy to know that he will be there.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I don't think he will either. He is such a fighter, let's make that F-I-G-H-T-E-R. I think he just loves coming back after people wrote him off. Last year at Worlds, despite the fact that he didn't win, must have been a huge confidence builder in terms of keeping it together at big competitions. Everyone before him broke apart, and he, despite the illness that made him look overly thin and sick all season, despite the stupid fall on the Lutz - just got out there and produced a clean, albeit not fully maxed-out, performance.

This season everything is about the younger ones, the ones that are "fully adapted to COP", lots of people are saying that Brian is a skater of the past, then there is the whole Quad thing, plus people outside of Europe just love to trash him -- I think it will make Brian even stronger. He will come to L.A. ready for battle: against the younger ones, against the constant stream of neat little well-behaved uncontroversial boys with their neat little COPish lyrical programs in their neat little respectable costumes, against the Quad-haters... I don't know if he will win the battle, but he will give it his best shot and I for one am very happy to know that he will be there.

I like the fighting spirit of your post, but... come on! don't overact the difference between Jumbo and the youngers. And how many are these neat little boys, and who are they? Patrick, and...? Maybe Andreev? The new kids do extremely difficult things, are hugely talented and may are not Gladiators (is it a crime?), but this doesn't mean they are frivolous. I do prefer the new generation, not because I hate the quad, but because I love how they put the jumps in the choreography, and not the choreography between the jumps. I almost cried when Jeffrey "left the building", but now I see him in Fedor and Patrick and Jeremy, and my tears become tears of joy :yes: :p

justaskatingfan

Rinkside
Alissa will be the least likely skater to meltdown. She will likely give a performance of her life and will be very competitive.

This 09 WC could be her career ending skate (competitively)if she does not skate well. Her dreams of the Olympics will fade very quickly.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alissa will be the least likely skater to meltdown. She will likely give a performance of her life and will be very competitive.

from your lips (keyboard) to the Skate Gods' ears

This 09 WC could be her career ending skate (competitively)if she does not skate well. Her dreams of the Olympics will fade very quickly.

I would have agreed in the past, but look where she placed last year at Nationals- 9th. would ANYONE have even DREAMED she'd be the champ this year?! Thought so.

ETA: Of course, "skat[ing] well" needs to be defined. Does it mean going clean? Making only 1-2 mistakes? By Alyssa standards, the latter would also qualify. Stay on your feet, or fall not more than once.

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
Though I don't think it will be a huge meltdown per se, but maybe enough to keep off the podium, Patrick Chan. It definitely pains me to say it as I want him to do so well, but there is so much pressure building on him after such a short period. Results-wise he was the front-runner going into the GPF and came last and he has the same kind of pressure now, in addition to the expectations that he will medal and potentially win. I still think he'll do well enough to deservedly make top 5, but he'll have mistakes.

Please let me be wrong!

(And note the 'deservedly' in my comments about top 5, nothing about marks holding him up...)

justaskatingfan

Rinkside
from your lips (keyboard) to the Skate Gods' ears

I would have agreed in the past, but look where she placed last year at Nationals- 9th. would ANYONE have even DREAMED she'd be the champ this year?! Thought so.

ETA: Of course, "skat[ing] well" needs to be defined. Does it mean going clean? Making only 1-2 mistakes? By Alyssa standards, the latter would also qualify. Stay on your feet, or fall not more than once.

How "well" she skated will be based on her placement relative to her fellow American lady skaters and stays in contention for selection to the U.S.A. Olympic Team.

fairly4

Medalist
sorry,i find this thread a bit rough/rude.
why,no skater goes in expecting to skate their (worst)implode as it is put.

They want to skate their best. People are human,they make mistakes.

screech

Final Flight
It's just for fun, it's not wishing for meltdowns! We predict winners, why not predict the opposite?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree, if the thread read "whom do you WANT to have a meltdown" then I'd take issue. But this is only a prediction thread

sorry,i find this thread a bit rough/rude.
why,no skater goes in expecting to skate their (worst)implode as it is put.

They want to skate their best. People are human,they make mistakes.
Yes. I agree. I think a thread on the color of YuNa's dress is the important factor in deciding the PC scores at Worlds. I think there is one already.

champs

Final Flight
It's just for fun, it's not wishing for meltdowns! We predict winners, why not predict the opposite?

You predict someone's meltdown "for fun", is that what I'm hearing?
I guess I've never learned to have fun out of predicting someone's misfortune.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think you're taking this too seriously, champs... while I don't see the need to predict others do.

champs

Final Flight
Tonichelle, you're probably right, I'm sorry I'm such a killjoy for everyone. I just didn't understand what people do this kind of prediction for, but I won't be vocal on this type of thing from now on (at least I will try).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I expect Rachael and Alissa to do better at Worlds than at 4CC. They certainly can not feel good about being outskated by the bench in Vancouver. So I think they will take the 6 weeks and work their butts off to improve their weaknesses. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tonichelle, you're probably right, I'm sorry I'm such a killjoy for everyone. I just didn't understand what people do this kind of prediction for, but I won't be vocal on this type of thing from now on (at least I will try).

look at it this way, chances are those that are predicting or secretly hoping certain skaters have a melt down are probably just jinxing their favorites to win. The skate gods seem to enjoy messing with predictions that way.:laugh:

fairly4

Medalist
fine,
than just for fun, i hope all you who want a meltdown has a meltdown in finance, school, school test and in life generally.
i have found out through the years wishing someone Deliberate bad luck in Fun Or Not/ has in a round about way put bad things on you personally, through-finance, health, school test, friendship. Because if you wish it for some one your hardly know-you wish it in real life for an enemy and or friend who best you.
Also what is said cannot be undone.
As the old saying goes "What goes around , comes around."

have fun being mean spirited.

skatingbc

Final Flight
fine,
than just for fun, i hope all you who want a meltdown has a meltdown in finance, school, school test and in life generally.
i have found out through the years wishing someone Deliberate bad luck in Fun Or Not/ has in a round about way put bad things on you personally, through-finance, health, school test, friendship. Because if you wish it for some one your hardly know-you wish it in real life for an enemy and or friend who best you.
Also what is said cannot be undone.
As the old saying goes "What goes around , comes around."

have fun being mean spirited.

Most posters aren't wishing that someone will have a meltdown, but predicting who will. Two different things, no?