Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to...

Ituriel

On the Ice
My fav classics :love: Beautiful pieces for skating

Mozart - The Magic Flute (Overture)

Beethoven - 9th Symphony (IV andante maestoso, prestissimo...)

Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture

Smetana - My country (The Moldau)

De Falla - Love, The Magician (Ritual Fire Dance)

Liszt - Hungarian Rapsody Nº 2

Brahms - Hungarian Dances 5, 6...

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I love this music but hasn't every Romeo and Juliet piece been done a lot.

Romeo and Juliet has indeed been used quite a lot, but that's mostly the Tchaikovsky and Rota versions. I don't think Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet is quite so commonly used, though. Has anyone used it recently?

beep_beep

Medalist
Ippolitov-Ivanov - Caucasian Sketches

Ponchielli - Dance of the Hours (bring on the dancing ostriches, hippos and alligators!)

This is not classical music (it is a classic though)

Santana - Samba pa Ti

Last edited:

stella8h8chang

Rinkside
I get really excited whenever people use music performed by Vanessa-Mae. Has anyone used her take on Classical Gas? Whenever I listen to it I imagine someone skating. I also like Nigel Kennedy's renditions of violin pieces but I'm not sure if they'd make particularly great skating music.

As for piano stuff...is it me or do people just not like Brahms? I love my Russians (Tchai! Rachy!) and I have a dream to learn to play all of Chopin's nocturnes...but...Brahms piano concertos!! And Debussey...but NOT his "Claire De Lune" (the piece makes me want to implode...)

When it comes to contemporary piano (sorry to drag this into a "classical" music thread), I love all things Nyman (The Piano = <3) and because I grew up learning piano in Australia, Christopher Norton (Latin Preludes...)!

Seriously, there is SO much awesome classical music out there, I'm surprised that people are still turning to Rach II and III. Or Carmen...or Bolero...or maybe I just have personal vendettas against the last two...

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Romeo and Juliet has indeed been used quite a lot, but that's mostly the Tchaikovsky and Rota versions. I don't think Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet is quite so commonly used, though. Has anyone used it recently?

McLaughlin Brukbaker used it in the 2007-2008 season. Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov used it in their FD during the Olympic season. But I don't remember any ladies singer using it recently. It is a great piece of music for skating though. And is very very different from the overused R&J by Rota.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sergei Prokofiev's 'Dance of the Knights' from his Romeo and Juliet.
McLaughlin Brukbaker used it in the 2007-2008 season. Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov used it in their FD during the Olympic season. But I don't remember any ladies singer using it recently. It is a great piece of music for skating though. And is very very different from the overused R&J by Rota.
Frederic Dambier also used it in 2005-6, in his LP. Like you, I can't remember any of the ladies skating to it in recent years. It's certainly less commonly heard than the Rota R&J (which is pretty, but really - enough already).

If we can get away from the warhorses of European classics, then I would suggest a piece by Chris Bodi. if his trumpet doesn't get to you, I question your love of music as just the sugary/dramatic kind.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I don't mind classical warhorses if it's done in an unusual way. I skated to Habenera for the last two seasons (Carmen) but it was done by Wolf Hoffman and had a rock treatment to it.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin
Etude Op.8 No.12 - there is actually only one skater who I think could do this piece justice, that would be Chan. Lambiel too of course, if he would still be skating. But the intensity of this piece is so extreme, the music so driven by powerful emotions. The skater needs to be able to move instinctively, very quickly and with perfect edges to the music - right now there is only one.

Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninov
Prelude Op.32 No.12 - this is for Johnny Weir and Takahiko Kozuka, I think the pace of the piece, the combination of light cadences with the relative solemn overtone of the music and the linear construction (talking about music in English is so hard :frown:) would compliment their fluid and precise style.

Robert Schumann
Träumerei - in the history of figure skating, this has only been used once? It's such a pretty princess song! And I think I mentioned it last year too, in my classical music list. I mean, so many people can skate to that. Would be great for Weir, Mukhortova & Trankov, all these girls out there...

Franz Liszt / Niccolò Paganini
La Campanella - this screams Kozuka, Rippon or Sawyer. Denis Ten would also be good. And it's such a brilliant piece of music. Plus it already has the perfect long program length.

Claude Debussy
"Jardins sous la pluie", Estampes No.3 - that's Chan again, I think. Too complex for others.

tgmsd

Spectator
Franz Liszt / Niccolò Paganini
La Campanella - this screams Kozuka, Rippon or Sawyer. Denis Ten would also be good. And it's such a brilliant piece of music. Plus it already has the perfect long program length.
ITA with you on that one. I love it to death and would also love to see Alexander Majorov skate to it.