Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Classical music you love and would like someone to skate to...

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Let's see....

The overture to Rienzi by Wagner. Very heroic, lots of tempo changes and a terrific ending. Perfect for a big male skater - like Joubert.

As someone mentioned earlier, a suite from the ballet score to Romeo and Juliette by Prokofiev. Perfect for ice dancers. Davis and White come to mind.

Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. Big, rhythmic, great climax, would need editing. I think this is perfect for pairs: heroic and very strong national character. The German pair team would do this justice.

For the ladies single skaters, there is so much out there..... I can't think of just one piece I'd recommend. I think Daphnis et Chloe by Ravel is just about perfect. Subtle, distinctive also with a great climax.

liketotally

On the Ice
Let's see....

The overture to Rienzi by Wagner. Very heroic, lots of tempo changes and a terrific ending. Perfect for a big male skater - like Joubert.

As someone mentioned earlier, a suite from the ballet score to Romeo and Juliette by Prokofiev. Perfect for ice dancers. Davis and White come to mind.

Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. Big, rhythmic, great climax, would need editing. I think this is perfect for pairs: heroic and very strong national character. The German pair team would do this justice.

For the ladies single skaters, there is so much out there..... I can't think of just one piece I'd recommend. I think Daphnis et Chloe by Ravel is just about perfect. Subtle, distinctive also with a great climax.
YES. The second suite of Daphnis et Chloe especially (Lever du Jour, Pantomime, Danse Generale). I think Lever du Jour would be wonderful for the most expressive skaters.

Andalusia

Final Flight
The Adagio movement from Beethoven's 5th piano concerto (Emperor). It was used in the movie "Picnic at Hanging Rock". Beautiful, enchanting piece - very dreamy. And it probably doesn't fall under classical, but the slow, main theme from "Pan's Labyrinth" is also very haunting.

I'd kill to have Alissa, Laura or Caroline tackle any of the above. :love:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Anything that does not have tosca, swan lake, romeo and juliet, bolero or carmen in the name...and why not throw the mission in there are well!!!

I love Hayden...why don't more people skate to him?

How about some John Williams movie soundtracks...there has to be someone out there that can skate to the theme from Star Wars!!!

kioewen

Spectator
I love Haydn...why don't more people skate to him?

Yes, what an interesting choice. Something from symphonies 101 "The Clock" or 104 "London," perhaps, which I think are his best. The slow movement of the 94th has the eponymous "Surprise," but the rest of the movement might be too slow for a good program.

How about some John Williams movie soundtracks...there has to be someone out there that can skate to the theme from Star Wars!!!
The "Duel of the Fates" (the Darth Maul theme from Ep 1) is a choral piece, but I could see someone doing a really thrilling exhibition routine to that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

many skaters have used the theme from Phantom Menace (which was repeated in Revenge of the Sith) titled Duel of Fates... and the Anchorage Figure Skating Club did a group number to the Star Wars Theme...

Schindler's List is out there this season with S/S... and it's been used many times over (Katarina Witt, Irina Slutskaya, Paul Wylie)...

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Mahler. I know Katja Gordeeva skated to Adagietto (it was beyond any word). There's also the Adagio from 4th Symphony, and much much more. A good choreographer/music-editor could create a great program. I think Yu-Na is a "mahlerian" skater, and this is the greatest compliment I can do her. I'd like Jeremy to skate Bach (for example the Partitas in minor) because he's dramatic and sophisticated. Wagner... I think the interpretation of this outstanding composer is really complex, especially the most "extreme" work, like Die Walkure or Tristan, and it requires a lot of maturity and depth. Wagner's music was born tightly connected to poetry and drama, like soul and body, it's a magic union that can only live in everyone's psyche. The movements of a skater are too little for it, in my opinion.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Berlioz. I have no idea how things like his Romeo et Juliette or Beatrice et Benedict or Le Troyens or Spectre de la Rose or Aeolian Harp or Francs-Juges overture would translate to skating but he wrote some of the most beautiful music on earth and I'd love to see a wonderful skater take it on.

The head of MASSOLIT?!

I kid, I kid. I know he's a composer. But I wil always associate him with the Master and Margarita.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
it's not classical, it's opera, but I would love Sasha to skate on Aida's Ouverture from Verdi.
I would also love to watch Carolina skating on Čajkovskij's "Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy" from the Nutcracker, I think it'd just fit perfectly.

Alicja

On the Ice
Since I started this thread I thought I'll let you know about my own wishes as well:

1. Humperdinck - Hansel and Gretel: I mentioned that one in another thread and I just love the ouverture(but the entire opera as well)! It's really, really pretty.
2. de Falla: Nights in the Gardens of Spain
3. Shostakovich: Piano Concerto No. 2 and Concerto in C minor for Piano, Trumpet and Strings
4. Britten: Simple Symphony
5. Litolff: Concerto Symphonique
6. Bartok: Concerto for Strings, Percussion and Celesta; Divertimento
7. Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf
8. My biggest dream: I'd really love to see some Fantasia on Polish Airs. It's so absolutely beautiful...If you don't know it take some time and listen to it! It's more than worth it. My dad used to play Chopin for me and my brother as a lullaby when we were young and our love for it hasn't gone away since...

viv

On the Ice
I am not sure if it would work to skate to a music with little rythmical structure, as is Clair de lune by Debussy or one of the piano pieces by Satie, but I would love to see somebody trying it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I am not sure if it would work to skate to a music with little rythmical structure, as is Clair de lune by Debussy or one of the piano pieces by Satie, but I would love to see somebody trying it.
Viv, what did you think of Mao's Claire de Lune program? Is that the kind of thing you had in mind for choreo?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Viv, what did you think of Mao's Claire de Lune program? Is that the kind of thing you had in mind for choreo?

Castille and Olkoski also skated to Claire de Lune this year and Cynthia Pfanuef didi last year.

lcd

Match Penalty
I agree that it would be nice to see some non-rhythmic music like the Debussy, and the skaters that would do wonderful jobs would include dancers. Unfortunately the rules require a "beat" so we are left without the chance to see many beautiful interpretations, unless in exhibitions of course.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I've literally always, always wanted Oksana Baiul to skate to Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata". Lol, I remember I even suggested it to her several times when I was a member of her fanclub back in 1999 (*embarrassed*, yes, that's the first & last time I've ever been a fan club member for anyone, especially at my age!:p )

EDITED TO ADD: oops, I goofed, moreso than Moonlight Sonata the "Ode To Joy" is what I wished for her to skate to, either one, but the "ode to joy" would honestly be pure heaven, especially this part from the movie Immortal Beloved ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJGESRc3XfY

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Joesitz opened the door, so I'm going to toss in "Temptation" by Artie Shaw and "Them There Eyes" by Billie Holiday (Decca version).

Ooh, great suggestion with "Them There Eyes." Would be a refreshing change of mood. Love Diane Schuur's cover of it.

Wow, what a great thread -- 'dja notice how many lurkers came out to post? Always great to hear from more folks! :clap:

Since there aren't a lot of highs and lows, it might make a better exhibition piece, but I love Respighi's (sp?) Ancient Airs and Dances.

ETA: Oh, boy, now it's going through my head: "They sparkle, they bubble, they're gonna get you in a whole lotta trouble! You're overworkin' 'em, there's danger lurkin' in THEM THERE EYES!"

Last edited:

meem

On the Ice
I'd love to see Navarro and Bommentre skate to Artie Shaw's Begin the Beguine...now that's a classical piece of music from the big band genre and they always shine when they skate to big dance-y music.

Remember John Zimmerman and one of his earlier partners skating their LP to The Sorcerer's Appentrice? I think there's also some good music in the Peer Gynt Suite.