Wagner Article | Golden Skate

Wagner Article

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the link - great attitude! I was so crushed when she messed up the SP - I really thought she might win gold this year. Fantastic come back in the LP, I so look forward to seeing what she does next year (and of course, best of luck at junior worlds!).

KayMil01

On the Ice
Isn't it weird that last year she went to senior worlds and now junior worlds? a step backward lol, but I understand that she didn't make the world team, and I guess is still age-eligible for juniors.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She seems to have a good attitude about it. I thought there was a rule saying that you could not go back to junior worlds after you had competed at the senior worlds. I guess they did away with that?
Frankly, I feel that Junior Worlds should be for Junior skaters. What are the girls who won at the Junior Level at Nationals supposed to do? Go to Novice worlds?

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree that Junior Worlds should be for Junior skaters. I think it's unfair to the skaters who did so well on the JGP series and had good showings at Nationals. It's also unfair for the international junior field who will have to compete with senior skaters. I wish Rizo/Maxwell/Gilles were the team instead. Seeing Ashley, Caroline & Mirai skate at Nationals right after these three really highlighted how they are NOT junior skaters.

They've had their chance to place at JW (twice!) and earn two GP events. I think the girls who competed on the JGP circuit should have that same chance.

fairly4

Medalist
whyj the change of heart. Last year you guys was all for it, why not this year.
Because maybe your skater didn't get in it.
Times change--Jw have been out seeing with the judges.
Yes because their is glut of skaters in the Us (some juniors )won't get in.
There has always been a glut (stalled) in seniors-now it passed to juniors.

why the change of heart. Last year you guys was all for it, why not this year.

Last year, Rachael Flatt, Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu were sent to junior worlds because they were not old enough to go to senior worlds.

This year, they, along with Ashley Wagner, are all old enough for senior worlds if they qualify.

Aside: Are there two different people posting under the same fairly4 login name?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I thought there was a rule saying that you could not go back to junior worlds after you had competed at the senior worlds. I guess they did away with that?
No. As far as I know, the only "rule" for competing at Junior Worlds is that the skaters are age-eligible. It doesn't matter if they've competed previously at Senior Worlds and/or the Senior Grand Prix. It's just the way it's always been (not saying that I agree with it, though).

No. As far as I know, the only "rule" for competing at Junior Worlds is that the skaters are age-eligible. It doesn't matter if they've competed previously at Senior Worlds and/or the Senior Grand Prix. It's just the way it's always been (not saying that I agree with it, though).
Is that a USFS rule? and does ISU have a different Rule?

gkelly

Record Breaker
There is no such rule.

Many many skaters have competed at Junior Worlds after having already competed at senior Worlds previously.

Some examples: Surya Bonaly, Lu Chen, Laetitia Hubert, Krisztina Czako, Zuzanna Szwed, Tanja Szewczenko, Lucinda Ruh, Julia Lautowa, Julia Sebestyen

Jamie Sale went to 1994 Worlds and Olympics in pairs and then to 1995 Junior Worlds in singles. Shelby Lyons went to 1996 Worlds in pairs and then back to 1997 and 1998 Junior Worlds in singles. Sale was between partners at the time, whereas Lyons was doing both disciplines simultaneously.

How about some men? Again, just a sampling, not an exhaustive list:
Phillippe Candeloro, Patrick Meier, Ivan Dinev, Zhengxin Guo, Neil Wilson, Kyu-Hyun Lee, Kevin Van Der Perrin

I haven't looked up pair and dance examples. Zhang/Zhang, Belbin/Agosto, and Hoffmann/Elek come to mind.

I thought I had heard there was a rule that prohibited skaters from returning to juniors after having medaled at senior Worlds even if still age eligible, but I can't find it in writing. I don't know of any counterexamples to that one.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I believe the only rule regarding Juniors/ Seniors besides age is about Grand Prix - a skater can't take part in both Junior and Senior on any given year.

Of course, national definitions of "junior" and "senior" have nothing to do with the international ones.

fairly4

Medalist
mathan -
as far as I know , i am the only person still signing in.
why seems like to different people. I like to try to get both sides in
I don't let you know anymore what i really think because -basically only want to hear the side everyone agrees on and only the good.
if a skater skates great i like to give them props whether i like that skater or not, skater i like doesn't skate well i would like to let you know. but everyone blows it out of proporation. they only want to hear /see one side .
sorry it is out of sync.

MKFSfan

Medalist
The only reason I think it's important to send Ashley, Caroline and Mirai to Jr. Worlds is because they are in the hunt for the 2010 team. They need all the mileage and exposure they can get. Sure, same could be said for Rizo/Maxwell/Gilles if given the opportunity. I do think Mirai would benefit skipping Jr. Worlds, giving her ankle ample time to heal before heading towards next season.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
The only reason I think it's important to send Ashley, Caroline and Mirai to Jr. Worlds is because they are in the hunt for the 2010 team. They need all the mileage and exposure they can get. Sure, same could be said for Rizo/Maxwell/Gilles if given the opportunity. I do think Mirai would benefit skipping Jr. Worlds, giving her ankle ample time to heal before heading towards next season.

I think it has something to do with collecting points to get Grand Prix assignments for next year.