Skating and helmets | Golden Skate

Skating and helmets

Jhar55

Medalist
Not sure but last time I was at a rink in Nashville there were few younger kids wearing what looked like their bike helments and knee and elbow pads.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well a hundred years ago when I took up figure skating one did not see any signs of helmets or knee pads, but I believe the little "ankle biters" - youngsters wear them now. It sort of makes sense....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they didn't have them for when my brother was learning, and he took a massive crack to the head (he was showing off for a pretty girl *facepalm* and mom was not exactly the most compassionate when he started flipping out/crying that it hurt lol)

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
At my club all skaters on the kinderskate and juvenile CanSkate sessions are required to wear helmets Skate Canda regulation helmets. I think it's the same policy across the country.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Wasn't wearing a helmet one of the reasons why Mira Leung had a such a weird technique on her jumps?

Once you start jumping and spinning I think a helmet is more of a hinderance, not least from a point of view of straps gettingin the way of your vision. Actually that could apply once you actually get moving and can skate backwards and forwards.

You don't want someone to become relient on a crutch that they can't do without when put on the spot.

Ant

lcd

Match Penalty
For kids starting, seems prudent.

I recall a segment involving the top Chinese Pairs, who wore helmets learning tough elements. Always comes up when one of the horrific pair/lift accidents happens.

antmanb

Record Breaker
For kids starting, seems prudent.

I recall a segment involving the top Chinese Pairs, who wore helmets learning tough elements. Always comes up when one of the horrific pair/lift accidents happens.

Actually i'm sure i've seen footage of chinese skaters trying to learn throw quad salchows wearing loads of body padding and helmets. Seems prudent, though again - with such technically difficult elements and lifts etc it seems that bulky padding would affect the balance point in lifts and throws. Eventually when the protective gear comes off there will be tweaks required to the elements and nasty accidents can still occur then. I guess it saves the skaters when they're just starting to learn an element.

Ant