New Czisny article: Cashing in a Challenge | Golden Skate

New Czisny article: Cashing in a Challenge

Here is an article by Jo-ann Barnas of the Detroit Free Press on how economic times have changed for U.S. skaters since the days when Lipinski, Kwan and Bobek were riding high.

"Advertisers aren't putting money behind Olympic athletes the way they used to," [Rocky] Marval [Alissa's agent] said. "It won't be as easy as the Michelle and Sasha days."

"In figure skating, it seems we can't build champions then keep them in the sport," [said Evan Morganstein, agent for gymnast Nastia Liukin.]

http://www.freep.com/article/200902...1048/SPORTS/Cashing+in+a+challenge+for+Czisny

ANW

On the Ice
I guess this translates she won't be albe to appear in any talk shows at all.
Twelve days ago in Cleveland, Alissa Czisny of the Detroit SC won her first U.S. women's title.

In the days that followed, her representative, Rocky Marval of Michael Collins Enterprises, hit the phone, reaching out to various TV talk shows such as Jay Leno, "The View" and "Ellen," trying to land Czisny a guest appearance.

Result: No takers -- at least for now.

"They're saying, 'Let's see how she does at worlds,' " Marval said, referring to next month's world championships in Los Angeles.

krenseby

Final Flight
I guess this translates she won't be albe to appear in any talk shows at all.

I think the real issue is that there's no one skater that has dominated in ladies because there are so many in the running: Ashley, Rachael, Mirai, Caroline, and others. These talk shows want to make sure that they interview the skater at the top of her field. And can you blame them if they can't figure out who that is? Heck no! I don't think the members of this forum can either collectively or individually anoint the top ladies skater in the U.S. The consensus seemed to first coalesce around Mirai and then around Rachael. Now that Ashley Wagner wiped the floor with Rachael in the Nationals LP, perhaps she should be declared as the U.S. skater with most potential. Potential that has not yet been reached cause she is so inconsistent.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IMG skaters seem to fair better when it comes to getting the interest of talk shows and sponsors...

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
I think it reflects less on the agency, and more on the broader macro environment, as well as the meaningful absence of skating from the public eye (network television). What the article did not mention, and one thought it might come up given the Detroit connection, is that it is ?15 years since the 'whack heard 'round the world'

antmanb

Record Breaker
Is it not simply as easy in the "Michelle and Sasha years" because, oh, let me think, none of the current skaters are even as good as them? It's not so much about boo-hooing that world or the US isn't as interested any more but just that it is lacking consistent stars that might land on a podium?

Michelle was in the sport for a large number of years and racked up a string of consecutive (and not!) national titles and FIVE world titles...of course she's going to have sponsorship deals going into the Olympics - it's a no brainer! She competed in Nagano and got the silver and then was still around four years later as one of the favourites and then stayed in and was still a favourite (all be it sentimental going into Torino).

Similarly Sasha was near the top of the game for a number of years - just missing out on a medal in SLC and dominant at the top for a four year cycle - absolutely one of the favourites in Torino.

That's the difference. If Emily or Kimmie had actually managed to push up the world rankings (or remain at the top for Kimmie) or even remain in the top 5 nationally since their first attempt at the Olympics then there might be something to back in terms of sponsorship. As it is, unless Kimmie turns it all around by next nationals - the ladies that are sent to the Olympics might be ones that (like Sasha in SLC) have never even been to senior worlds.

Ant