General Ladies Discussion (was original Ladies LP thread) | Page 10 | Golden Skate

General Ladies Discussion (was original Ladies LP thread)

mhu714

On the Ice
Of course she's no Carolina, but compared to her old self, she is gaining noticable speed, especially in this performance
As someone said, to each his own. Carolina may have speed but I find her dull and totally uninspiring. Caroline, IMHO is adorable and special. And unlike Kostner, she can actually land jumps without stumbling like a drunken sailor.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
As someone said, to each his own. Carolina may have speed but I find her dull and totally uninspiring. Caroline, IMHO is adorable and special. And unlike Kostner, she can actually land jumps without stumbling like a drunken sailor.

I fail to find anything "adorable" about Caroline. She is so void of any personality or emotion on the ice, and the only thing "special" is her flexibility, which IMHO is not such a big deal. She just bores the heck out of me. I find Carolina Kostner to be far more interesting, even if she is less consistent and totally unpredictable.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've met Caroline several times over the year's, she is not a brick with no feeling, emotion or personality. She's a sweet kid.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I've met Caroline several times over the year's, she is not a brick with no feeling, emotion or personality. She's a sweet kid.

But you don't see that on the ice, that's my problem with her (aside from the bad jump technique, the tortise like speed and the fact that every program she skates looks exactly the same...). She shows absolutely no feeling or personality in her programs, there is no sense that she has any connection to what she's skating to. You could turn on any piece of music and she would look exactly the same.

And my opinion of her off-ice is that she comes off as a know-it-all and kind of bratty, but maybe she has outgrown that by now.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
In that video of her short at 4CC, I like her reactions in the Kiss and Cry. First, she was kind of dejected, then was accepting, then she smiled for the camera and waved. Then she stood up, then sat right back down again, like somebody was taking pictures and wasn't finished yet.

She also showed some speed at TEB with her Sleeping Beauty program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfurCRASgck

Last edited:

mhu714

On the Ice
Originally posted by AwesomeIce

She shows absolutely no feeling or personality in her programs, there is no sense that she has any connection to what she's skating to. You could turn on any piece of music and she would look exactly the same.

I disagree, and think Caroline does emote well in the Ave Maria program. Further, I'll boldly predict she will win medals in big comps in the future--maybe post Vancouver, but it will happen. Of course I could be wrong but agreeing to disagree is what makes the world go 'round, right?

Andalusia

Final Flight
I don't think Caroline got gypped out of anything. IMO she was overscored at Nationals, if anything. She is so slow and her edges are dreadful and I can't even stand watching her jump, regardless of how consistent she is in staying on her feet. And she has zero personality on the ice. I've seen pebbles with more enthusiasm than her. Alissa and Rachel earned their spots over Caroline.

It'd be a lot easier to take your opinion seriously if you didn't gain pleasure out of seeing 15-year-old girls fall and do badly in competitions. Now, that's just twisted. Let me see, you detest both Mirai and Caroline...find Yu-Na overrated...and love Ashley, Kimmie, and probably Rachael...hmm, it's quite interesting you should bring up pebbles, because an analogy involving pebbles, or maybe even crayons, certainly comes to mind. :laugh:

I don't give a hoot whether Caroline was as slow as molasses at Nats - she landed 6 triples to Alissa's 3. I can even accept Rachael placing above Caroline, but not Alissa. The latter received astronomically high PCS scores and wasn't dinged for her lip, which the judges at 4CC made note of, btw. And then you have others like Ashley Wagner not being marked for her flutz at all in the LP. Meanwhile, little Caroline is receiving cautionary marks because it seems she both flutzes and lips. :rofl:

Hey, whaddya know, AwesomeIce...the Nats judges apparently share the same mindset as you do! :rock:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I might have seen that kid when I was getting my autograph from Caroline in Cleveland. :laugh: I got autographs from: Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, Alissa Czisny, Angela Maxwell, Katrina Hacker, Rachael Flatt, Laney Diggs, Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek. All of them were at a minimum polite, most were very nice. Caroline was probably one of the nicer ones, although I understand getting the "bratty" vibe, it doesn't mean she acts that way. Rachael was in a hurry but still stopped to sign. I talked to Alissa and she said absolutely NOTHING in response -- but I think it's just cause she had her headphones on and couldn't hear (after that I made sure to not bother any skater with headphones on.) Angela seemed thrilled that anyone wanted an autograph.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
It'd be a lot easier to take your opinion seriously if you didn't gain pleasure out of seeing 15-year-old girls fall and do badly in competitions. Now, that's just twisted. Let me see, you detest both Mirai and Caroline...find Yu-Na overrated...and love Ashley, Kimmie, and probably Rachael...hmm, it's quite interesting you should bring up pebbles, because an analogy involving pebbles, or maybe even crayons, certainly comes to mind. :laugh:

I don't give a hoot whether Caroline was as slow as molasses at Nats - she landed 6 triples to Alissa's 3. I can even accept Rachael placing above Caroline, but not Alissa. The latter received astronomically high PCS scores and wasn't dinged for her lip, which the judges at 4CC made note of, btw. And then you have others like Ashley Wagner not being marked for her flutz at all in the LP. Meanwhile, little Caroline is receiving cautionary marks because it seems she both flutzes and lips. :rofl:

Hey, whaddya know, AwesomeIce...the Nats judges apparently share the same mindset as you do! :rock:

Caroline is receivine "cautionary marks" on both the flip and lutz because she is incapable of holding a steady edge going into either one. Her "lutz" is the worst flutz I've ever seen. It barely even pretends to be a lutz. And on the flip, she flings the picking leg so high up in the air in that trademark mule kick of hers that she wobbles from inside to outside and then back to inside before she picks. The judges are right to ding her on both accounts. If she wants to get full credit for the jumps, then she can learn to do them correctly. And without that hideously ugly mule kick.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If she wants to get full credit for the jumps, then she can learn to do them correctly. And without that hideously ugly mule kick.

Is it a mule-kick, ........ or is it a donkey-kick ????

From Alissa's and Rachael's perspective, it must look like an ***-kick. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: