Male Skaters and their coaches | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Male Skaters and their coaches

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushenko fell on his quad in sp and was crystal clean on the rest, and in Lp he doubled his salchow and stepped a bit out of 4-3-3, he tried that combo and did the 3axel -1/2-3flip which was rare, goebel had much lower marks in LP from all judges except the usa one in presentation and technical , i think carmen was better program overall than goebel's but this is subjective of course.
Yagoudin was in a league on his own there :)

lcd

Match Penalty
B/K falling in the FD... I was disappointed...

Me too. Ugh... and there was that split second when you hoped they might be able to "con" some of the judges into thinking that it was their closing pose. Heart breaking too after their win in the Grand Prix final that year... seemed like there was a real chance for them if they put it out there.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
B/K falling in the FD... I was disappointed...

Me too. Ugh... and there was that split second when you hoped they might be able to "con" some of the judges into thinking that it was their closing pose.
I was disappointed too. I could have chewed on some nails. :clap: :clap:

Now, someone refresh my memory but didn't Jamie & David do the same thing in their final pose in the SP??? What was the difference???

Now, someone refresh my memory but didn't Jamie & David do the same thing in their final pose in the SP??? What was the difference???

I think Sale and Pelletier were dinged a little by that error on the closing pose. They finished behind Berezhnaya and Sikharidlize, but still ahead of Shen and Zhao, because their program was otherwise excellent.

Actually, S&P could almost have pulled it off. As I recall the theme of the Jalousie prgram was, Jamie was trying to teach David how to do the tango. So he falls at the end -- that would sort of go with the program! :laugh:

The coolest end of program miscue was Sasha at one of those phone-in-the-vote cheesefests. Somehow she slipped on her closing pose and fell over flat on her back. Then she gave a little wave, like, it's all part of the act, folks -- Juliet just poisoned herself. :laugh:

Peggy Fleming remarked, oh, what an interesting artistic concept! (something like that. :laugh: )

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The coolest end of program miscue was Sasha at one of those phone-in-the-vote cheesefests. Somehow she slipped on her closing pose and fell over flat on her back. Then she gave a little wave, like, it's all part of the act, folks -- Juliet just poisoned herself. :laugh:

Peggy Fleming remarked, oh, what an interesting artistic concept! (something like that. :laugh: )
Thanks Math for the explanation about Jamie & David. For some reason I was under the impression that they weren't dinged at all or at least not as badly as B&K.

Yes, I remember Sasha's fall. It was quite good and quick thinking on her part.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
According to Sandra Besic they weren't supposed to be dinged because he fell AFTER the program was over. They held the pose for a split second, but there's no real rule on how long you have to hold the ending pose.

However David believed that they were going to get docked for the fall. it's up in the air as to whether or not the judges really did. (Yes B/S were ahead of them, but let's face it they were supposed to win anyway)

antmanb

Record Breaker
On a similar themes of falls at or near the end of the programs, I always remember Beres&Sikh in their Nagano LP going up for the last overhead lift at the end of the program and him tripping backwards and sitting down,her sitting down on him (both seemingly unhurt) and scrabbling round to get into a final pose.

At the worlds a few weeks later, they cut the lift from the program!

Ant

elanna

Rinkside
Why tim should have gotten the silver?he was 3rd in Sp in front of plushenko, he skated after plushenko in Lp so they could have marked him higher, their marks in Lp were not even close.

Because Plushenko should have been placed way lower than forth in the SP (fall on that quad combination, 3A,3Lz, ugly hip movements), at any case behind Lee, Abt, Stojko,Dambier, who did much better:cool:.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m trying to remember the "much better" you say and plush being like 12th?Plush got technical fair and got high marks on presentation, which got always high since his first year in seniors. and i cant think why not then. He got deduction for his fall, came back immediately and did a crystal skate afterwards, great circular and presence, energy until the end -i cant comment on ugly hip movements, it is subjective-the thing is he supported the rest of program in best way. The only one that i can think close to plushenko was Abt but I think his jumbs were not so strong, he used to underrotate, and his circular was on two feet.But that maybe was close though.
The rest, Lee had done 2axel as a third element, Stoiko was stepped out of his quad, he had got 4.9 to 5.4, it was not like he was close to plush and sorry but I dont think these men reached presentation of plushenko with exception to Abt. I dont remember Dambier at all.
Probably also the judges were thinking of having someone to fight for the gold medal in case Yagoudin had a total meltdown (no way but just in case) and in the fear of having to place Gold Champion who?Honda or Goebel?Wasnt it often happenning in 6.0 system?To keep the skaters that might get back with winning Lp?And after the Lp of others maybe they were right, Plushenko risked a lot in his Lp, Abt fell, Honda had quad probs, didnt do his salcow and did 3-2 at the end, stoiko did the quad combos and the rest double, i cant remember anything else, but who of the rest came in Lp to justify their should have been 4th in sp placement?Maybe Goebel should have gotten higher marks in Lp technical score but the final medal placement looked fair to me. He and Honda had their chance in Lp to win over Plushenko and they didnt.

Last edited:
One has to remember, imo, that a Fall in a tight race was detrimental to the faller in any division, but only in a tight race. The judges had to pick out a winner, and a Fall can be the deciding factor. That was 6.0. Now with CoP, there is an automatic deduction for a Fall, which is not a deciding factor for placement.