Flatt wants medal finish | Golden Skate

Flatt wants medal finish

When one thinks of it, these Junior starlets: Nagasu, Zhang and Flatt, were much too inexperienced to face the Senior Level. It's been a learning experience for them. Let's see how the learning comes through next year. No need for harsh judgements this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't think it was THAT bad. I think she's being a little hard on herself, given that this is only her first major senior international comp, but that said, we need our world team to put its best foot forward in LA, and if this will make her hungrier it might be better in the long run. Let's just hope nerves don't get the best of her.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I hop Rachel does not take this trip to world THAT serioulsy. Nobody is expecting her to medal, just to skate clen enough. She should not be that upset about 4CC. She was not that bad. She made a mistake or two, sure, but so did Yu-na. At least Raechel stayed on her feet. She should relax a little...she has been very consistant the whole year. She is intitled to a mistake.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael shouldn't put pressure on herself for a medal finish. It's her first Worlds, and even Kwan, Lipinski, and Hughes didn't manage a medal on their first trips. If she somehow manages a 6th place finish, it will be miraculous at this stage in her career. She should take this as a learning experience, enjoy herself, and just focus on doing her very best, which I have no doubt she will. GO RACHAEL! :love:

Last edited:

kittyjake5

On the Ice
The pressure will be on both Alissa and Rachael at Worlds not as medal contenders but for that magic number 13. Realistically they and their teams must know that a medal is a bit far-fetched for either of them, but securing 3 spots for the U.S. is not and that = pressure. I sure will be rooting for both
of them to deliver under pressure.

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
I fear this added pressure will just cause her to self-destruct... In a Rachael Flatt way of course.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The pressure will be on both Alissa and Rachael at Worlds not as medal contenders but for that magic number 13. Realistically they and their teams must know that a medal is a bit far-fetched for either of them, but securing 3 spots for the U.S. is not and that = pressure. I sure will be rooting for both
of them to deliver under pressure.

I'll be much more nervous for Alyssa than for Rachel.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Both Alissa and Rachel should just focus on skating two good programs, whether or not they wind up in a placement that totals 13 or less. The more they worry about delivering, the worse they will do.

It is not going to be the end of the skating world for the U.S. if we do not qualify 3 ladies at Olympics. Qualifying three would be great... but the big bad ole US of A Figure Skating will not melt down if it doesn't happen. Officials should contact both skaters and tell them.... just do your best, we will support you 100 percent regardless of the outcome.

Binthere

On the Ice
Hopefully both ladies will be inspired by the support of "home" ice. Rachael is a great competitor and I don't worry about her showing what she can do.

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
Real, true champions thrive under pressure, no matter the age.

I hope these ladies makes us go "Whoa!" at the worlds.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
This... is... AWESOME.

I'm totally psyched that she has this attitude - THIS is the attitude of a champion. Screw her detractors and people who say she doesn't have "it." Yun-a Kim's artistry was practically nonexistent a couple years ago, now it is greatly improved and she is front-runner for OGM. I doubt 1 year is enough time for Rachael to raise her artistry to the highest level, but what matters is that she is focused on that as a goal. Rachael isn't going to lay down, she's going to fight. I think this also could be great for our chances at 13 standing at Worlds. Any skater Rachael can climb over in the standings is one point closer to that goal.

And more importantly, if Rachael can really improve her artistry, the US MIGHT actually have a shot at the Olympic podium a year from now, instead of sending either 2 or 3 girls who have no chance.

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
Yun-a Kim's artistry was practically nonexistent a couple years ago, now it is greatly improved and she is front-runner for OGM.

Yu-Na Kim had no artistry a couple of years ago? :rofl: Did you see her 'Tango de Roxanne' program from Worlds 2007? It was the highest scoring short program since the introduction of the IJS, and remained so until she beat it at 4CC this year.

Good luck to Rachael. I should think she'll make the top eight at Worlds.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Both Alissa and Rachel should just focus on skating two good programs, whether or not they wind up in a placement that totals 13 or less. The more they worry about delivering, the worse they will do.

I totally agree that that's the right attitude that they *should* have.

Rachael might have some advantage over Alissa in this. It seems the older you get, the harder it is to forget how important an event is. Maybe when you get older, you just become generally more aware, and especially of the fact that life is precious and your skating career is finite. When you are young, you think the good times will never end, or at least it's so far away that you don't have to worry about it. :laugh::laugh:

ks777

Record Breaker
I really hope they skate their best at worlds and get that 3 spot for the Olympics. It would be nice to see Sasha, Caroline and Mirai make the Olympic team!

mjames

Rinkside
I think that these girls have earned their place on the world stage. I am hopeful that both of them will skate clean and build on their success from Nationals. I must say we are sending the best dressed ladies to Worlds. Their costumes are first rate! The details, stones and fabric are $$$ hats off to them for skating with style! :rock:

Nigel

On the Ice
This... is... AWESOME.

I'm totally psyched that she has this attitude - THIS is the attitude of a champion. Screw her detractors and people who say she doesn't have "it." Yun-a Kim's artistry was practically nonexistent a couple years ago, now it is greatly improved and she is front-runner for OGM. I doubt 1 year is enough time for Rachael to raise her artistry to the highest level, but what matters is that she is focused on that as a goal. Rachael isn't going to lay down, she's going to fight. I think this also could be great for our chances at 13 standing at Worlds. Any skater Rachael can climb over in the standings is one point closer to that goal.

And more importantly, if Rachael can really improve her artistry, the US MIGHT actually have a shot at the Olympic podium a year from now, instead of sending either 2 or 3 girls who have no chance.

A friend from the CSWA told us that Flatt was back at the rink this morning, and she was working on her "Romantic Rhapsody" LP from this past season. Good move! :rock: