Entries | Golden Skate

Entries

Alicja

On the Ice
I think it's a wise choice from Mirai to give her ankle time to heal! and now I'm thrilled to see Katrina Hacker again!

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm also thrilled that Hacker got this competition! I hope she medals! She deserves a medal for all her lovely skating the past two seasons! And I hope Ashley wins :).

LeCygne

Final Flight
Hmm, I'm glad Mirai made the right choice as well. Best of luck to Caroline and Ashley! But how will Elene factor into this?

oleada

Record Breaker
Elene hasn't been skating well for a while now.

Sorry, but Zhang, Hacker, Wagner, Leonova & Gedevanishvili are not junior skaters. They really shouldn't be competing here; this entry list is ridiculous. And if Hacker's retiring, then her alternate spot would have been better used by Gilles, Maxwell, or any other of the JGP skaters - Bereswill, Musademba, etc. I like her skating, but that's just my opinion. It would have given them the chance to get a GP event next season.

luvsasha

Final Flight
Huh? Mirai WAS assigned Jr. Worlds, but i guess she decided not to compete. Which is actually better for her health.

lcd

Match Penalty
I think that is quite a snub. At least put her in as an alternate.

Mirai WAS given the assignment but chose to withdraw. Katrina was originally assigned as first alternate, and as such, is now the 3rd US lady.

ChrisH

On the Ice
Yes, Mirai must have withdrawn. At the moment, her name is still listed for Junior Worlds at the USFS site. http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216 (Note that Alissa has withdrawn from the University Games and has been replaced by Amy Nunn. Congratulations to Ellie for getting an assignment. I'd like to see Agnes Zawadzki get one too.)

It's going to be interesting to see who gets the World Team Trophy assignments.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Why is Leonova going to JW? Is she not coming to LA? I was thinking she would be a spoiler for the top 10.
I'm glad Mirai is resting, but IMO it's a waste to give the slot to Katrina. Why not give it to Alexe, Angela, or Kristine who need ranking points to get gp assignment? If any one of them peaks and outskates every other American and go on to Olympics or worlds, she will get crap pcs just because of lack of accomplishments.

ChrisH

On the Ice
I don´t think that it is ok, to skate Junior Worlds after years of senior.

Junior Worlds with the 4th of Europeans and the 4th of 4CC :scratch:
Right, Caroline should be the USA's 3rd entry at Senior Worlds. ;)

Alena Leonova was 4th at Europeans? That is a surprise. Oh why not, she should be the 2nd Russian lady at Senior Worlds (even though she was beat by novice skaters at nationals :biggrin:).

Last edited:

MagicFairy

On the Ice
Hallo

wow... Elene Gedevanishvili will skate at junior worlds?:eek:
and no skater from brazil, ireland (Clara Peters) and monaco (Merovee Ephrem):frown2: Does anyone know why Merovee Ephrem has retired?

Magicfairy

Top Junior Men for 2009 Junior Worlds

Can you say anything about the following, and can you add some others to the Top Jr. Men List?

Canada - Eladji Baldi

Czech Rep - Michal Brezina

France - Florent Amodio

Kazakstan - Denis Ten

Russia - Ivan Bariev or Artur Gachinski

USA - Ross Minor, Curran Oi, Adam Rippon

oleada

Record Breaker
Right, Caroline should be the USA's 3rd entry at Senior Worlds. ;)

Alena Leonova was 4th at Europeans? That is a surprise. Oh why not, she should be the 2nd Russian lady at Senior Worlds (even though she was beat by novice skaters at nationals :biggrin:).

Leonova is doing both JW and Worlds. The top two skaters at Russian Nationals + Junior Nationals (Sotnikova & Tuktamysheva) are not age-eligible for JW.

Since you asked, Joe:

Ellaj Balde (CAN): Kind of rough around the edges and heavy on the ice, but does have a nice 3A. He's one that needs others to falter if he wants to medal.
Michal Brezina (CZE): He's definitely the whole package. Lots of musicality + a 3A. He's coming back from a big injury, though. He reminds me of Jeff Buttle.
Florent Amodio (FRA): Another guy who's the whole package. If you haven't seen his winning FS from the JGPF, WATCH IT! It's absolutely fantastic. He also has the 3A as well as good spins and great connection with the audience.
Denis Ten (KAZ): Probably one of the youngest men in the field. Very nice skater, great basics, fantastic 3A and nice step sequences. Bit inconsistent, though.
Bariev & Gachinski: Not quite in the same level as these two, IMO. Bariev is fairly consistent and landed a 3A for the first time at Russian Junior Nationals. Gachinski is quite inconsistent and his choreo is nothing special.
Miner, Rippon, Oi: Haven't seen much of Miner, but his Nationals SP was really nice. Oi has wonderful artistry and flow but he's really inconsistent and hasn't quite shown all he can do on the international level. And well, everyone's seen Rippon at this point.

I think Artem Grigoriev, Yuzuru Hanyu and Chao Yang could be potential dark horses.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Can you say anything about the following, and can you add some others to the Top Jr. Men List?

Alexander Majorov, Sweden. Last season he was injured and not participating in JW. In Europeans 2009 he was nr 22 in spite of four falls in LP. He is an attacker with good skating skills and strong spins. He struggles with 3-axel and has not made it in competion(yet). I think he will do PB in Junior Worlds and be top ten.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Junior worlds is becoming a joke. They should both lower the age limit for he junior worlds and tighten the rules on Junior/ Senior world mixing. I mean, someone who was in top 10 at the previous Olympics sure shouldn't be doing Juniors... I mean, I can sort of understand sending someone to JW if there is just no more openings on the senior team, but this... ridiculous.:disapp:

In principle I agree but with the regression Gedevanishvili has experienced, this could be the only hope she has of getting her career back on track. Not that something like this should be based on one skater's plight, but I feel so bad for her. She had the vital spark and then lost it. I remember that after Torino Johnny predicted she'd be the next OGM, and I thought so too.

So, go Elene... and Ashley and Caroline! :rock:

ChrisH

On the Ice
I'm glad Mirai is resting, but IMO it's a waste to give the slot to Katrina. Why not give it to Alexe, Angela, or Kristine who need ranking points to get gp assignment? If any one of them peaks and outskates every other American and go on to Olympics or worlds, she will get crap pcs just because of lack of accomplishments.
Mirai is danger of forcing the USFS to dip into the Skate America wildcard slots to get her 2 GP assignments.

Is it certain that Katrina won't skating next year? I don't recall if she personally said that she was retiring.

Alexe will very likely be guaranteed a GP assignment due to getting the bronze medal at the JGPF.

Angela will likely be guaranteed a GP assignment due to her seasonal best ranking. She is currently 18th on that ranking and the cutoff has been 24 these past few years.

Kristine is at the seasonal best cutoff and despite of her 2 recent JGP wins, is well below the world standings ranking cutoff (also at 24). Of the 3 ladies mentioned, she needs the assignment the most although she could very well get an invitation without it.

Tough call.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Katrina's going to Princeton, and it was announced that she will retire from competitive skating IIRC. Haven't thought about SA inviting Mirai just to secure 2 GPs, but it sounds realistic. She will most likely get SA and NHK again. So, SA invites Alissa, Mirai, and whom?