And if Stephane Lambiel came back? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

And if Stephane Lambiel came back?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
.. I will be very happy. Lambiel is the quintessential skater - an athlete and an artist on the ice.

MasterB

Final Flight
He gets my vote and support.

He should definitely leave out the triple axel. Working on a jump that is not consistent puts too much stress on an already bad knee.

madibe

On the Ice
According to the article, the Swiss Federation would like him to skate at the World Championships in March in order for Switzerland to obtain two spots for Vancouver. Stephane must decide by March 2 if he is to compete.

Stephane is one of my all time favorites and it would be a dream to see him skate again, but like others I don't see it happening. I'm not sure he has a desire to compete, and rightfully so, he had a great career with two world championships and an olympic silver medal. However, if he did decide to come back, his programs are ready, and he has been performing his fantastic long all year.

Last edited:
.. I will be very happy. Lambiel is the quintessential skater - an athlete and an artist on the ice.
Hear! hear!

I had the same knee problems after surgery, Walking was fine, but dancing because of it's twists and turns irritated the knee to the point where i had to stop most athletics. Difficult to skate or ski two days in a row. That's no way to do a competition.

If there is no pain, I would suggest he go to Rafael A. to work on all the jumps and get Lori to work up a nice routine. He doesn't have to win, just be there for the ovation.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
It would be wonderful. I don't think many people have got over his retirement yet.
He's a unique and amazing skater, one of the rare skaters that is truly artistic.

However I doubt that he'll return. He can easyly win gold without a quad, but he's always injured.

amateur

Final Flight
Wouldn't it be a distinct disadvantage in the SP to not attempt a triple axel, where one of the few required jump elements is an axel?

merrybari

Final Flight
Wouldn't it be a distinct disadvantage in the SP to not attempt a triple axel, where one of the few required jump elements is an axel?

I would think so, but IIUC, the requirement is for a 2A OR 3A so maybe that wouldn't make the "hit" quite so bad.

I'll add this - I'd like to see him back - he's a skaters' skater, a gentleman and a crowd pleaser. I was sorry to miss him live at this season's Skate Canada.

That said, I think it wouldn't be in his best interest for his long-term/health issues for him to do so. IF the Federation is pressuring him to do so in order to get more places for their skaters at the Olympics, I think the powers that be have their priorities mixed up.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I would think so, but IIUC, the requirement is for a 2A OR 3A so maybe that wouldn't make the "hit" quite so bad.
It would be pretty bad - base value for a 2A is 3.5, base value for a 3A is 8.2. Regardless Stephane shouldn't be doing either unless he really wants to come back; if it's just pressure from the Swiss Fed, I agree with you that he probably shouldn't do it.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I would love to see him return. But not Plushy. He's a great athlete but I want the dancy stuff.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I would love to see him return. But not Plushy. He's a great athlete but I want the dancy stuff.

I'm with you, Grgranny. Stéphane, yes. Plush, no. It's not all jumps and arm-flailing does not equal artistry no matter how much charisma you have.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I must say I'm a bit tired of the past which keeps to come back. Right know the field is deep enough, and it's exciting. If an "old" skater wants to return, he or she returns, does the competition, get the marks and goes home. Enough with all these announcements every months and every year. :indiff:

Eurofan

On the Ice
Giulia, if you're tired of reading about Comeback Kids, why are you reading a thread called "And If Stéphane Came Back?" :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I would not categorize Lambiel as one of the "old" skaters I think he is 24 and I don't know if I would call his break from skating retirement either, I think he just has missed one competitive season. I would love to see my favorite skater back on the ice. I miss him as I am sure his many, many fans do too..

merrybari

Final Flight
his programs are ready, and he has been performing his fantastic long all year.

For those of us who have not seen him doing it - has he been performing the competitive version complete with all the elements or a simplified, exhibition style program?

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
For those of us who have not seen him doing it - has he been performing the competitive version complete with all the elements or a simplified, exhibition style program?

He performed the Piazzolla program during "Art on ice" and did two triples and a double axel, if I remember well. I'm checking in a moment though. And of course, a lot of transitions, steps... at the end of the programm he did a kind of straight line step sequence. Right in the middle of the rink there was a podium with a spanish dancer above, so he didn't skate in the whole area.

figuristka

Medalist
Would love to see him return. I recently looked up some of his programs as i hadnt seen him skate for ages and he is really wonderful. I miss watching him. Of course i would love to see Chan get a medal of any colour at Olympics but if Lambiel competed again it would be great.