Katrina Hacker's Last Hurrah! | Golden Skate

Katrina Hacker's Last Hurrah!

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Well, pending nothing crazy happens to our ladies line-up for Worlds, this is Hacker's last competition. This is actually going to interesting for her, as I'm curious to see if she can walk away with a medal (or even the whole title!)

But I do wanna point out, congrats on her and her coaching team, to concentrate on skating skills and quality skating. Her international placements have been very commendable considering her limitation on the jumping department, similar to Lepisto of Finland.

She is such a "Solid", package skater, and I think she can go out with a bang, especially if the favorites falter. I'm glad she gets to compete at one last major international competition, especially since she graciously relinquish her World Team Spot last year.

shopgirl543

Rinkside
I have to wonder if she does well at Junior Worlds, if she would consider deferring Princeton another year.

I do think that she definitely has a shot for a medal. She is usually a very consistent and steady skater.

Here's the leading contenders, imo:

Diane Smiett (Can)

Svetlana Issakova (Estonia)

Elena Gedevanishvali (Georgia)

Sara Hecken (Germany)

Stefania Berton (Italy)

Alena Leonova (Russia)

Sonia LaFuente (Spain)

Joshi Helgesson (Sweden)

Hacker
Wagner
Zhang

Please list names if you think they will have a chance on the Podium
I did not list ladis from Finland and Japan because I do not know them.

Question: What are Hacker's chances for a medal?

Tammi

On the Ice
I have to wonder if she does well at Junior Worlds, if she would consider deferring Princeton another year.
She's already deferred for one year, so I don't believe that's an option. She's a great young lady, I wish her a lot of luck and really do hope we get to see her at collegiates.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I suppose she'd be eligible for the later years' Winter University Games if she keeps competing in the University system.

Trewyn

Medalist

Diane Smiett (Can)

Sara Hecken (Germany)

Stefania Berton (Italy)

Alena Leonova (Russia)

Sonia LaFuente (Spain)

Joshi Helgesson (Sweden)

Hacker
Wagner
Zhang

Please list names if you think they will have a chance on the Podium
I did not list ladis from Finland and Japan because I do not know them.

Question: What are Hacker's chances for a medal?

I think she has a pretty good shot. Leonova is I think going to be her biggest competitor. But Katrina is scored pretty well by the international judges... I keep remembering 4CC last year; she did surprisingly well there.
Elene hasn't been skating well all season, yes that could change by the time of Jr Worlds, but at Europeans she didn't even make the Free Skate! And as to the other girls; Katrina's NHK score is above all their personal bests! Not to mention her 4CC score would shatter all their scores to pieces (even Leonova's). She has a shot; if she skates well, I'm pretty sure a medal will be hers!

Other 'possible' medal contenders, iff the American ladies falter;
Ivana REITMAYEROVA: sneaked into the final flight of skaters at Europeans; then faltered and finished out of the top ten, but still. (completely random; her LP dress is horrid!)
Oksana GOZEVA: got a silver medal at the JGP circuit, her PB score is respectable (still not even close to Katrina's).

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Other 'possible' medal contenders, iff the American ladies falter;
Ivana REITMAYEROVA: sneaked into the final flight of skaters at Europeans; then faltered and finished out of the top ten, but still. (completely random; her LP dress is horrid!)
Oksana GOZEVA: got a silver medal at the JGP circuit, her PB score is respectable (still not even close to Katrina's).

Imai Haruka (JPN) - Gold Medal at JGP Golden Lynx with 145 Points

Miriam Ziegler (AUT) - Gold Medal at EYOF with 141 Points - she landed 6 Triples in her Long Programm! She normally get high levels and have fantastic spins

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A U.S. sweep of the Ladies at Jr. Worlds, is possible, though unlikely.

If it happens, I make it:

1. Zhang
2. Wagner
3. Hacker

Trewyn

Medalist

Really? The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to be.
I hope for:

1. Ashley Wagner (I want her to have the crowning moment of the season)
2. Caroline Zhang
3. Katrina Hacker

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Diane Smiett (Can)

Stefania Berton (Italy)

Joe, Stefania BERTON will not be at JW---Italy's representative is Francesca RIO.

Diane Szmiett is a top 10 candidate, but I don't see her on the podium.

Gedevanishvili has been skating pretty poorly this season. She didn't even make the cut for the FS at Euros.

Issakova was disappointing in her two JGP events. 16th and 13th.

LeCygne

Final Flight

If it happens, I make it:

1. Zhang
2. Wagner
3. Hacker

I don't think it's unlikely at all. Actually, the top 3 you predicted is exactly what I'm expecting.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Well, if she some how pulls off a win, especially over Zhang and Wanger, she should def. reconsider, especially with Olympic Year looming. IF of course!

Granted, the international judges actually don't mind Hacker! She tends to receive pleasant scores, and did pull off that upset at 4CC over the other Americans.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Granted, the international judges actually don't mind Hacker! She tends to receive pleasant scores, and did pull off that upset at 4CC over the other Americans.

Katrina and Caroline can form a "Top American Lady at 4CC Club". :biggrin:

Kypma

Final Flight
Good luck to Katrina in her last (and also second after the 2008 4 Continents Championship) ISU Championship! However, part of me feels sorry for her that the required jumps out of steps this year is the Lutz -- she doesn't have a triple, which will put her at a distinct disadvantage after the short, won't it? :(

-Kypma

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ You're right! I hadn't thought of that yet! I'm not sure..Maybe she *will* attempt a triple... She's taken it out of her programs all season, but she attempted it at Nationals last year, if I remember it correctly she landed it but wanted to do it in combination and then messed up the second jump.

flying camel

Medalist
Good luck to Katrina in her last (and maybe also first?) ISU Championship! However, part of me feels sorry for her that the required jumps out of steps this year is the Lutz -- she doesn't have a triple, which will put her at a distinct disadvantage after the short, won't it? :(

-Kypma

So, could she do a double lutz?