Any updates on Alissa? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Any updates on Alissa?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
In previous years Alissa did 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T, 3Lz and 3F -- using the +2T to allow her to do two Lutzes and two flips.

Her 3T+2T this year does not gain her any such advantage because the only jump she repeats is the Lutz.

Yeah but you have to consider that the Flip is her most inconsistent jump (aside from the Salchow, I guess, since she never even tries that jump). It's better for her to not attempt it twice.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah but you have to consider that the Flip is her most inconsistent jump (aside from the Salchow, I guess, since she never even tries that jump). It's better for her to not attempt it twice.

Agreed, and knowing that the 3flip is one of her more inconsistent jumps, it's so crazy to me that she attempts it as her solo triple in the SP. Seems like her coach and choreographer would be smarter than that. She needs to take a note from Cynthia Phaneuf, who also was having problems with the 3flip in the SP and replaced it with the much more stable 3toe. Why isn't Czisny attempting the 3loop or the 3toe in the SP instead?

For the LP, Alissa should try:
3Lutz+2toe
3flip
3loop
x2Axel
x3loop+2toe
x3toe+2toe+2loop
x3toe

Granted, she would need to have her choreographer re-choreograph her LP, but the essence is I think the last thing Alissa needs to do is attempt a 2nd 3Lutz or 3flip in her program. The fact is she's just not a strong enough jumper.

flying camel

Medalist
Agreed, and knowing that the 3flip is one of her more inconsistent jumps, it's so crazy to me that she attempts it as her solo triple in the SP. Seems like her coach and choreographer would be smarter than that. She needs to take a note from Cynthia Phaneuf, who also was having problems with the 3flip in the SP and replaced it with the much more stable 3toe. Why isn't Czisny attempting the 3loop or the 3toe in the SP instead?

For the LP, Alissa should try:
3Lutz+2toe
3flip
3loop
x2Axel
x3loop+2toe
x3toe+2toe+2loop
x3toe

Granted, she would need to have her choreographer re-choreograph her LP, but the essence is I think the last thing Alissa needs to do is attempt a 2nd 3Lutz or 3flip in her program. The fact is she's just not a strong enough jumper.

I really feel that is a very possible jump layout for Alissa. She could also throw in the double axel if she doesn't feel like the last triple is going to happen. I agree she doesn't need to repeat the Llutz or flip. She doesn't seem physically strong enough to repeat those jumps toward the end of the program.

She should make her foot work more difficult.

We want so much for her and from her.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really feel that is a very possible jump layout for Alissa. She could also throw in the double axel if she doesn't feel like the last triple is going to happen. She should make her foot work more difficult.

I agree. Increase the difficulty of the footwork and add some more transitions into and out of her jumps and spins in order to increase the GOE potential. She should try to exit her 2Axel and hold the landing edge in a spiral position similar to what Michelle Kwan or Irina Slutskaya used to do and what Joannie Rochette does now in her SP. She could maybe do an ina bauer, some 1-foot footwork, a split falling leaf, a spread eagle, a mohawk, a walley jump, some traveling stars, or a forward or backward spiral into some of her spins and jumps. She already does a 3-turn into her 3loop jump. Just some suggestions.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
just a note- the thread title has now become "any suggestions for alyssa" :cool:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It may be safer, but when was the last time Alissa even attempted a 3S?

Never noticed that before that Alissa does not do the salchow. Seems like so many women skaters are leaving it out. I understand why caroline and mao would want to leave it out, it is not worth it for them when they could use a 7th triple as a more difficult one that is worth more points. But for Alissa....i guess her technique is bad on that jump.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never noticed that before that Alissa does not do the salchow. Seems like so many women skaters are leaving it out. I understand why caroline and mao would want to leave it out, it is not worth it for them when they could use a 7th triple as a more difficult one that is worth more points.

Since when does Caroline have a 3Axel? :confused:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sounds to me as if she was actually referring to the Salchow jump

Zhang's LP layout at 4CC was:
3flip+3toe
3Lutz+2toe
2Axel
x3flip
x3loop
x3Salchow
x3loop+2toe+2loop

She has 7 triples, the most that is permitted by the ISU rules for a lady skater. A skater is only permitted by the rules to repeat 2 triples and Zhang repeats the 3flip and the 3loop. If she didn't do the 3Salchow, then she would have to do a 3Axel to have 7 triples in her LP, a jump that is not in her arsenal.

Last edited:

KayMil01

On the Ice
I agree. Increase the difficulty of the footwork and add some more transitions into and out of her jumps and spins in order to increase the GOE potential. She should try to exit her 2Axel and hold the landing edge in a spiral position similar to what Michelle Kwan or Irina Slutskaya used to do and what Joannie Rochette does now in her SP. She could maybe do an ina bauer, some 1-foot footwork, a split falling leaf, a spread eagle, a mohawk, a walley jump, some traveling stars, or a forward or backward spiral into some of her spins and jumps. She already does a 3-turn into her 3loop jump. Just some suggestions.

I think this would be good. BTW, what are traveling stars?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Well I think she just gets worse on the difficult jumps late into programs. Stamina/confidence issues. Her 3Flip, with the reworked technique, is actually very pretty now when she hits it. I'd keep it in the SP.

Well I think she just gets worse on the difficult jumps late into programs. Stamina/confidence issues.

I think it is more psychological than fatigue-related.

It seems to me that in the first half of her programs Alissa is successful in skating down into the ice, letting each element come to her. She's got her groove on.

Then, after she hits the first four jumps and starts to see the light at the end of the tunnel -- "I'm doing it! I'm doing it! Just three more jumps!" she stars to rush her jumps. her upper body gets ahead of her legs, she can't make the rotations, and there she goes.

roundboypete

Rinkside
U.S. ladies in the mix!
Rachael solidly in 6th!
‘Lissa, 'Lissa, breath of heaven,
Bring it in at number seven!

Last edited: