Sasha Cohen update | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen update

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I can not wait for Sasha to come back to compete!! I used to look forward to Sasha and MK's new program to come out every year. I could not wait to hear their new music and see their new costumes. Nowadays, I do not find any skaters that make me feel the same way. I kind of wait for Mao and Yuna's, though. Sadly, there is not any skaters like Sasha with such strong presence on the ice.:love: She tells me the story on the ice. She reminds me how beautiful this sport is every time she skates.
Sasha, please DO come back!!!!!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure she could have beaten Slutskaya in 2005 regardless of how well she skated. Other than that, possibly. But really, so few skaters manage to get through their LPs with no mistakes and all the planned content that I just don't see the point of focusing on Sasha in this respect.
Buttercup, I agree with you about Slutskaya...that was a power house. Anyhow, you make an excellent point about skaters getting through their LP with no mistakes. It has always befuddled me why Sasha brings out the "mean" in everyone??? Or at the very least post mean things about her. What is it about her persona that makes people want to knash their teeth into the side of brick wall???

I had the great opportunity of watching her practice and compete live and it was WONDERFUL!!!

MKFSfan

Medalist
Excuse me, I love Sasha and all, but I wouldn't call her Oly SP her best short programme she has done; there were very minor things going on there, so I actually think she can do better than that. She has always done great in the short program, so I don't think it is a strech to think that she could put everything into it to, theoretically, accumulate enough points to keep a great lead from other skaters. That is if the Michael Weiss' reports of her doing 3-3 are true... she cold put one in the short; I think that is the area were she would need to work, on the short program

For me, that SP was the best she could've put out there that night-minus the small glitch on the 2ax which kept her from doing the catch foot position on landing (as she did at Nationals) and that may have enhanced the GOE on the axle (if done well of course.) That said, aside from raising her FSSpin from Level 3 to 4, which she then did at 2006 Worlds (it was a level 3 not only at the Olympics, but also at Nationals and TEB)-and that still left her with a score practically identical to Olympics-a 66.62. Yes, to garner more points, she could've added footwork or a spread eagle or something in front of the axle, doing a 3/3 would've garnered more points, etc, but at that time, she was not doing those things. Maybe it would be different next year.

I really loved Mal, especially at Worlds 2004, thought performance wise that was her best, but I think DE's was technically better.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Excuse me, I love Sasha and all, but I wouldn't call her Oly SP her best short programme she has done; there were very minor things going on there, so I actually think she can do better than that. She has always done great in the short program, so I don't think it is a strech to think that she could put everything into it to, theoretically, accumulate enough points to keep a great lead from other skaters. That is if the Michael Weiss' reports of her doing 3-3 are true... she cold put one in the short; I think that is the area were she would need to work, on the short program

Sasha usually has flawless short programs but sucky long programs.

AdamFan

Rinkside
Although they weren't judged under the IJS, Sasha's SPs at 2004 Nationals and 2004 Worlds were by far her best. Those programs had been prepared for the IJS (which was different, I know)---but those were definitely her best execution and performance wise. She was also stronger physically and not as beat up.

Very cool... in true KW form, I have to laugh at myself and all my years of Cohen related whining & snarking because I'm really excited to see Sasha return to competitive ice...

I know. Isn't it amazing how much more likable Sasha is now, compared to back in the day when she was stealing medals that rightfully belonged to Michelle? :rofl:

MKFSfan

Medalist
^^^I thought it was MICHELLE stealing medals that "rightfully" belonged to Sasha...especially at Nationals!:rofl:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I know. Isn't it amazing how much more likable Sasha is now, compared to back in the day when she was stealing medals that rightfully belonged to Michelle? :rofl:

Pish posh - Cohen? Steal a medal that belonged to Michelle?!? As if... And for the record, it wasn't that I didn't like Sasha - she just drove me insane!!! I do not have the emotional fortitude to watch a skater not hit their potential - it brings out my snark. grrr...

^^^I thought it was MICHELLE stealing medals that "rightfully" belonged to Sasha...especially at Nationals!:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

Ah... the good ol' days when skating was skating... (Oh Lord, I sound like Dick Button)

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Although they weren't judged under the IJS, Sasha's SPs at 2004 Nationals and 2004 Worlds were by far her best. Those programs had been prepared for the IJS (which was different, I know)---but those were definitely her best execution and performance wise. She was also stronger physically and not as beat up.

Her 04 short was wonderful, footwork was great, jumps lovely, and a spiral sequence to die for!:clap:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Thanks for posting that skate, how beautiful!!! Too bad the people who make their snide comments have no idea of what they are talking about. The sad part is they do it time and time and time and time again. How very sad.

Saying she never skates clean is a snide comment because she's actually skated ONE clean LP in her entire career?

I liked this quote from Scott Hamilton from the original article:

We have a lot of depth, but I can't say there are skaters who could definitely prevent Sasha from breaking into the top three," said 1984 Sarajevo Olympic champion and NBC commentator Scott Hamilton.

Indeed. I can picture Sasha saying to herself, "I think have a real shot against Alissa, Rachael, Caroline, Ashley, Mirai..."

"I can beat Alissa, Rachael, Caroline, Ashley, Mirai...

...with one had tied behind my back and standing on one leg!"

:laugh:

^ The strange thing was that Sasha's wonderful performance in the qualifying round was only good enough for third place in qualifying group A, behind Michelle and Elena Sokolova.

Fumie Suguri was first in qualifying group B, which was the easier group (Jennifer Robinson was second)

This cost Sasha the bronze medal. She complained in her journal afterwards that it wasn't fair, because Suguri got to skate in the easier qualifying group. This unfortunately came off as sounding a little bit ungracious. It made it seem as though Sasha was saying that Fumie didn't deserve her medal.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
This cost Sasha the bronze medal. She complained in her journal afterwards that it wasn't fair, because Suguri got to skate in the easier qualifying group. This unfortunately came off as sounding a little bit ungracious. It made it seem as though Sasha was saying that Fumie didn't deserve her medal.

That is one major reason why I have never cared a whole lot for Sasha. There is always SOME reason why she didn't place higher/win. Always. One year it is because Michelle just wouldn't retire, then it's Fumie getting the easier qualifying round, then its some forgotten case of the shingles, or a snake bite, or the flu. She can never just give credit to the skaters who, well, outskated her.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Sounds good, but only practicing 45 minutes a day before performances? Is she aware of how much Michael Phelps (for instance) spends training? I can't imagine that is enough time to be a serious medal contender. And it's not worth coming back for her unless she can win, IMO.

I think that's all the ice time she can get until SOI is over for the season. Either that or she has some good reason for starting slow. Please try to remember that Sasha is a two-time Olympian. I don't think she needs advice from skating fans about how much practice it takes to get to Carnegie Hall. :sheesh: As for whether it's "worth coming back" for gold, silver, bronze, or just the excitement of a third Olympics - that's her call.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I don't think she needs advice from skating fans about how much practice it takes to get to Carnegie Hall. :sheesh: As for whether it's "worth coming back" for gold, silver, bronze, or just the excitement of a third Olympics - that's her call.
No, she doesn't really need any advice.
But, on the other hand, we don't *have to* believe her while she is just looking for some publicity. Consider Yagudin is still making similar statements every now and then.

Eurofan

On the Ice
No, she doesn't really need any advice.
But, on the other hand, we don't *have to* believe her while she is just looking for some publicity. Consider Yagudin is still making similar statements every now and then.

I think "Would you consider making a comeback?" is a standard question for a journalist who knows little or nothing about skating, and some skaters actually do entertain the idea of making a comeback, so they give a "Never say never" type of response. I doubt that it really means much, though. And if you're the headliner in an ice show, it's probably not good PR to answer with a definitive "No" since that might imply that you're past it and "potential contenders" have more box-office drawing power.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker

It's ok though cos Sasha would get her revenge on Suguri at the 2006 Olympics! :rofl:

Ant