Sasha Cohen update | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen update

tarotx

On the Ice
From what I've read Sasha is doing full practicing when at home. She's getting what she can when on the road. She's mostly doing off ice training, then there's the guaranteed 45 minute ice practice that she's taking full out and also the show. She also has went to some open ice time at local rinks depending on her schedule. She worked all summer trying to get back to her 2006 level and now on tour she's working to keep what she worked on and also not get injured. In June she will have to start an Olympic year practice schedule. That's when she used to start training for the new year when she used to compete. I don't know if it's enough but Sasha isn't lying-she's doing the best she can while touring with SOI. On tour Sasha is studying COP and results.

ERAs in Figure Skating have changed. Eras: Henie, Button, Flemming, Witt, Plushenko. It seems to me that each of these eras had something that showed a greater change in technical power.

Can Sasha skate in the new era: the Asian Ladies?

Can anyone think of a major competitor who left skating for 2 or more years, and then came back to be a top contender again?

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I think "Would you consider making a comeback?" is a standard question for a journalist who knows little or nothing about skating, and some skaters actually do entertain the idea of making a comeback, so they give a "Never say never" type of response. I doubt that it really means much, though. And if you're the headliner in an ice show, it's probably not good PR to answer with a definitive "No" since that might imply that you're past it and "potential contenders" have more box-office drawing power.

You said diplomatically what I meant :agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Make it two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouNL5ux17c4

And as far as I'm concerned, hasn't Yuna Kim only skated one clean LP in her entire senior career? Why is everybody so fixated on Cohen not skating cleanly?

so true. it seems like everybody was on sasha's back to be clean all the time from the very begining, perhaps this was a consequence of the Kwan era when Michelle skated clean very often, i don't know. But the top ladies out there today RARELY skate both programs clean. Caroline and Rachel are the tow that come to mind who skate clean (to the naked eye) the most (no falls, hands down, turnouts etc). But Mao and Yu-na make AT LEAST one rather major mistake a competition apiece and Carolina is usually laden with small mistakes and one larger one.

Medusa

Record Breaker
But the top ladies out there today RARELY skate both programs clean.
But clean back then and clean now is something different.

Under 6.0 Asada's NHK long program would have been clean - we just don't remember it as clean because of the downgraded 3A. Miki Ando had a "clean" skate with just a minor wobble at the GPF, that included a Quad and 5 Triples - but she got downgraded 5 times. Nakano had a "clean" freeskate at Worlds...

Yeah, this is what I worry about with Sasha. And agree w/those (incl Particle Man) who wish she had competed this season in order to get a feel for how the current judging will treat her.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
^ The strange thing was that Sasha's wonderful performance in the qualifying round was only good enough for third place in qualifying group A, behind Michelle and Elena Sokolova.

Fumie Suguri was first in qualifying group B, which was the easier group (Jennifer Robinson was second)

This cost Sasha the bronze medal. She complained in her journal afterwards that it wasn't fair, because Suguri got to skate in the easier qualifying group. This unfortunately came off as sounding a little bit ungracious. It made it seem as though Sasha was saying that Fumie didn't deserve her medal.

Suguri didn't deserve her medal. Sasha had the better LP in 2003. *shrug*

herios

Medalist
He had two years off? Didn't they squeeze him into the Olys? Oh well, Wow. One many was able to make a comeback.

Todd won a bronze at Worlds in 2001 in Vancouver, basically preventing Goebel to win his first medal, which I was glad to see...
Goebel was not anywhere close to be as complete skater as Todd was.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Sasha is a two-time Olympian. I don't think she needs advice from skating fans about how much practice it takes to get to Carnegie Hall.

As my niece would say, "Ohhh SNAP!!" :rock:

But that won't prevent the armchair quarterbacks from doling out their usual condemnations.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
:love::love: if only we were soooo lucky:bow::love:

I doubt they will, but they certainly could. I am very certain I saw a video of them doing a show this past winter where she landed a huge triple throw, just like the old days. They are so well trained, they will probably be doing triple twists and triple throws in the 70's! :rofl:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He had two years off? Didn't they squeeze him into the Olys? Oh well, Wow. One many was able to make a comeback.

I'm a little puzzled by your comment "squeezed him into the Olympics". Todd did take two seasons off from competing at US Nationals (although he did do a GP event in one of those seasons). He did keep up his technical skills (and continued to build his artistic ones) during that "break" as he competed in a number of pro/ams (Masters of Figure Skating, Canadian Open, Japan Open) back then, as well as doing shows (two seasons of the winter COI as well as the spring tour). He announced by early 2000 that he wanted to train for one more Olympics (according to BOI), so it was his decision. I don't think he was pressured at all to do it. He wanted to do it, and IMHO, he more than earned his way back to the Olympics. Now, if there hadn't been so much emphasis on the quad back in the pre Cop days ...

Now, I realize this is a discussion about Sasha, so back to that ...

Last edited:
I'm a little puzzled by your comment "squeezed him into the Olympics". Todd did take two seasons off from competing at US Nationals (although he did do a GP event in one of those seasons). He did keep up his technical skills (and continued to build his artistic ones) during that "break" as he competed in a number of pro/ams (Masters of Figure Skating, Canadian Open, Japan Open) back then, as well as doing shows (two seasons of the winter COI as well as the spring tour). He announced by early 2000 that he wanted to train for one more Olympics (according to BOI), so it was his decision. I don't think he was pressured at all to do it. He wanted to do it, and IMHO, he more than earned his way back to the Olympics. Now, if there hadn't been so much emphasis on the quad back in the pre Cop days ...

Now, I realize this is a discussion about Sasha, so back to that ...
It would seem then my question of Who has left figure skating and made a comeback? One poster wrote Todd, and apparently he did not really leave competitive skating as you say. So my question remains: Who if anyone left skating for 2 or more years, made a comeback and was successful? It seems no one did. So Sasha if she were to do that would be the first if and only if she is successful. I'm not against her returning, but it will be rough going.