Ladies short program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies short program

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Looks like I could be wrong about an American lady running away with this one. Anyway, congrats Elene you deserve it :rock:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't know, Ant. I doubt Robin Wagner could have done much in two weeks to change/improve Elene's skating, but she could have helped her quite a bit with mental preparation, which Elene clearly needed after that SP mess in Helsinki. What the long-term effects of Wagner's coaching will be remains to be seen, I guess.

Perhaps. We all know EG is talented but we also all know she has been skating poorly. Perhaps in these last few weeks Wagner has been able to make her believe in herself again.

That is very true, conversely Elene is a seasoned senior competitor (she has what 3 or 4 years on the senior circuit under her belt) and she could take a lot of comfort in knowing that good or bad she has a wealth of experience that no other skater in this field has, with or without Robin's help in this regard she must feel pretty confident in this field.

If her mental game has been improved by Robin then the proof will be in the LP.

Ant

lmarie086

Medalist
Elene!! :clap: I'm so happy for her, I hope it continues through the LP, and helps to build her confidence. Can't wait to see this as soon as my icenetwork situation is resolved.

And good for Ashley! Her SP is one of my top favorites of the entire ladies field this season, so glad she had a good performance (from what I read).

Surprising that Caroline didn't do well. She's been becoming so consistent. Hope she comes back strong in the LP.

Does anyone have the overall standings?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Here's the link to the results.

Nobody from the morning session made it, except for the Bulgarian skater who's through automatically. Though Mari Suzuki came within half a point.

Ant - you're right about the proof being in the LP. We'll see tomorrow. Well, I won't, because Eurosport won't be showing it. But I'll see the score :).

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ant - you're right about the proof being in the LP. We'll see tomorrow. Well, I won't, because Eurosport won't be showing it. But I'll see the score :).

:rofl: too true about Eurosport.

fingers crossed that they've had good ratings for their coverage this year and that we might get more next year including junior worlds.

Ant

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Looks like I could be wrong about an American lady running away with this one. Anyway, congrats Elene you deserve it :rock:

Ashley will outskate Elene in the LP and take the gold, that is my prediction.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Exactly because she has done very well in the past with SP, but always seems to falter in the LP.

She does seem to freak herself out when she's within striking distance after the SP. Though has she ever been in first after an SP? There are those skaters who are better going into the LP in second or third (Kwan) and those that do better when they're in first (Slutskaya).

And another question - where was Jenni Vahamma? I thought i heard she would be healed in time for Junior Worlds?

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
And another question - where was Jenni Vahamma? I thought i heard she would be healed in time for Junior Worlds?
This came up when Jenni didn't go to Nordics. Someone wrote at the time (about three-four weeks ago) that she still wasn't practicing. Maybe there was too little time for Jenni to prepare and she preferred not to risk her ankle.

ETA: re Eurosport ratings, I wonder if the addition of Junior Worlds to the schedule is on account of good ratings for the GPs/Euros? I don't recall this event being broadcast the last few years.

Trewyn

Medalist
About Jenni; it's kind of odd, because she *is* scheduled to skate at next week's Aegon Cup in the Netherlands.

gold12345

Medalist
And what can we expect of Caroline? Is the podium now completely out of reach for her?

I don't know if Caroline's having any issues, or if today was just a bad day, but if she skates a decent long program, I think she'll have a pretty good chance to get on the podium. Several of the skaters ahead of her only have personal bests in the 70s or 80s, so her 10th place placement isn't much of a concern. 8 points out of 3rd is not that bad, and skaters like Elene and Leonova haven't exactly been known for their great long program efforts. If Caroline goes out there and posts a 110+ in the long, which she is capable of doing, I think only Wagner can beat her.

But why did she look so off today? A shame.

oleada

Record Breaker
About Jenni; it's kind of odd, because she *is* scheduled to skate at next week's Aegon Cup in the Netherlands.

IIRC, she's withdrawn from that event.

Actually, Leonova is a pretty good long program skater. She actually tends to do much better in the long than in the short.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Robin's been her coach for what - two weeks. There is very little a coach can do to help a skater in two weeks. Whatever Elene did today she had in her regardless of who put her on the ice.
Something I've heard on Werner's forum was that Serov wasn't really that into coaching Elene. She won this year in Dortmund without Serov at all, and according to Werner (he gossips a lot, but he also often has much insight) in Helsinki she was with both Serov and Murvanidze both of whom were often less then sober. While I agree that Wagner hasn't had time to teach Elene anything, I think this young skater just needed someone inspiring next to her who would really believe in her. While I have some doubt about Wagner's coaching, I think believing in her skaters is something she is indeed very good at.

Medusa

Record Breaker
She won this year in Dortmund without Serov at all, and according to Werner (he gossips a lot, but he also often has much insight) in Helsinki she was with both Serov and Murvanidze both of whom were often less then sober.
If that's true - how awful and irresponsible! Must have been horrific for her.

figuristka

Medalist
Great to hear that Elene has skated so well. Maybe she's not been a consistant skater lately but there is talent there. Sounds like the coaching change or just being somewhere different to train has helped. Pitty i cannot watch.

feraina

Record Breaker
Good for Elene! And Ashley too.

But Caroline! :cry: :cry: :cry: What happened? What a bummer to skate so poorly at JW after skating so well at 4CC!