Sasha Cohen's big gamble | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's big gamble

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hello all,

This upcoming season is going to be very interesting!

Check out this articlefrom the Philadelphia Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090227_Bob_Ford__Sasha_Cohen_s_big_gamble.html

Also, has anyone heard who choreographed Sasha's Moonlight Sonata program?
Like so many have mentioned in other posts, I miss looking forward to hearing her music selections, and seeing the new programs. Maybe I'll have one more year to enjoy Sasha's beautiful skating.

Is it spring yet?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Great Article! Thanks for posting. Seems like she will be returning to Mr. Nicks, which I am happy to hear. I was surprised about the statement about evrything falling apart after nationals 2006. I don't think anybody knew she was having boot problems, and athough we noted that she wore a wrap on her leg for her olympic LP, i think that nobody really thought she was injured. "Being in tears every day" is not the way you want to go into an olympics where you are the favorite.

As for Moonlight Sonata, she probably choreographed it herself. She has co-choreographed or did it solo on most of her programs, Carmen she did all by herself.

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha

I wish her well. It would be nice to see her have a successful comeback. I think she has grown up alot.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
"These past two years, it's been nice, but it's a little too nice every day," Cohen says, picking through a salad and sampling the miso soup. "You know what? I want to be ecstatic or I want to be miserable. I want to really feel alive, to have that performance out there, that heightened sensation of being alive."

I really like what she said here. If she does make a comeback, it would be great if she went back to Nicks. I think they make a wonderful team.:yes:

saltypig

Rinkside
A Sasha comeback would be great for the 2010 Olympics (assuming she qualifies) and figure skating regardless of whether she medals or not. Good luck Sasha!

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I'm sorry, I love Sasha dearly, she's been a beautiful pro skater to watch, but I'm not in favor of her returning to eligible skating. I'm very weary of this "old pro trying a comeback" business. Let it go, Sasha!

R.D.

Record Breaker
...i'm very weary of this "old pro trying a comeback" business. Let it go, sasha!

+ 1

ETA: that said, let her try if she wants to. In the end, hopefully the two skaters that have actually worked hard, showed what they've got and deserve to go to Vancouver actually end up going. Seriously, everyone just needs to stay healthy.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I love Sasha dearly, she's been a beautiful pro skater to watch, but I'm not in favor of her returning to eligible skating. I'm very weary of this "old pro trying a comeback" business. Let it go, Sasha!

Actually she never retired from competitive skating so she never turned pro.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
But she never competed after 2006 Worlds.

She competed at Campbell's Cup in late 2006. Cheesefest but still a competition, and I'm sure they got money for it.

I wonder if Sasha will be less likely to come back if we only get 2 spots for the Olympics, hmmm...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if Sasha will be less likely to come back if we only get 2 spots for the Olympics, hmmm...

With her mileage in skating, the main thing is STAYING HEALTHY. If she can't do that, then we could have 10 spots and that wouldn't cut it.

She competed at Campbell's Cup in late 2006. Cheesefest but still a competition, and I'm sure they got money for it.

Meh, doesn't count. She said HERSELF that her last competition was 2006 Worlds. :p

(just had to, sorry :laugh: )

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Well, it probably sounds more glamorous to say that your last comp was Worlds rather than a Cheesefest later that year. I attended that Campbell's Cup though and walked past Sasha on the street so I care about it even if she doesn't. :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, it probably sounds more glamorous to say that your last comp was Worlds rather than a Cheesefest later that year. I attended that Campbell's Cup though and walked past Sasha on the street so I care about it even if she doesn't. :laugh:

I now see why you would. :laugh:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Are you sure there was a Cheesefest competition in the spring of 2006? All I recall is a made for TV exhibition type thing, Marshall's FS Showcase, where Michelle debuted "A Song for You." I seem to think the last Cheesefest competition was in 2005 (unless you count that Dec. Skate Idol, which I don't.)-Marshall's hosted it for spring of 2005, Campbell's Cup was in the fall of Oct. 2005, and then that was it.

Last edited:
^ It was in October of 2006, a team competition featuring Japan, U.S.A. and Canada.

Sasha did a short program against Miki Ando (Ando won.)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...ri=content/events/200607/campbell/results.htm

By the way, the 2003 fall Campbell's event was the first time that Sasha beat Michelle in competion.

Particle man said:
(I) walked past Sasha on the street so I care about it even if she doesn't. :laugh:

At last -- a skating fan who likes cheesefests as much as I do! I met Belbin and Agosto at the last one I went to.

Worlds, schmerls, I can't wait for the Team Challenge thing in April!

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I'm not one for "comebacks" as I think they generally do not work however, given the state of the US ladies now, I'm not all that "against" this idea. IF Cohen is really committed to skating for herself and not for others, that change in mindset and theoretically, the maturity that comes with it, just may be what she needs to finally achieve all that she wanted too.

I really like Alyssa and frankly, I thinks her skating is worthy of a world/olympic medal provided she can stand up but, part of winning those events is consistency and she just doesn't have it. I wish she did.

I like Ashley like I liked Sarah. She's the girl next door and that's appealing. I also like that she has a figure (i.e she's not a baby ballerina) and looks more like a women - esp. since this is "ladies" figure skating. But she too has been somewhat inconsistent. However, that comeback at nationals was something.

Of the other baby ballerina's Rachel is the only one who shows much consistency but she has so much to improve upon. I do however, like her costumes for whatever that's worth.

Can Cohen do it, who knows. It's an uphill battle but it has always seemed to me that her issues were psychological. If she has indeed matured, found a joy in skating and skates for herself and not for others, she might make it. We'll see though.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I really like Alyssa and frankly, I thinks her skating is worthy of a world/olympic medal provided she can stand up but, part of winning those events is consistency and she just doesn't have it. I wish she did.

I don't think it's consistency so much as it's being able to handle the nerves and pressure of a major event. Even an inconsistent skater who peaks at the right time reaps the rewards (think Arakawa at 04 Worlds, '06 Olys).

mskater93

Record Breaker
I like Ashley like I liked Sarah. She's the girl next door and that's appealing. I also like that she has a figure (i.e she's not a baby ballerina) and looks more like a women - esp. since this is "ladies" figure skating. But she too has been somewhat inconsistent. However, that comeback at nationals was something.

Oh, man, you must have never seen Ashley in person! She's TINY in person - not exothermic skeletal make up at all like Sarah was...

antmanb

Record Breaker
Really? Huh. Well, she doesn't look like a baby ballerina on the ice. Interesting...

It begs the question what does everyone mean when they say "baby ballerina". To me it's more of a style of skating than anything to do with specific body types. I would use "baby ballerina" interchangeably with "pwetty ice pwincess".

In that respect i wouldn't classify Wagner as a "baby ballerina".

Ant