Rudy Galindo article | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo article

alhuncc

Rinkside
There was a nice article on Rudy in the Sunday Reno-Gazette Journal. His second hip surgery is today, September 30. (I'll report about it as soon as I know something.)

I've had trouble with the url--sometimes it works and sometimes it says forbidden, but here it is:

http://www.rgi.com/news/stories/html/2003/09/26/52688.php

If that doesn't work, you can access it through Newslink, a great source for newspapers if you've never used it.
Go to http://newslink.org/
Under US Newspapers, click on State
Click on Nevada
Click on Reno Gazette-Journal
Click on rgi.com
Under the yellow banner listing sections of the paper, locate 14-day article search and fill in rudy galindo. Click on Search
The article is titled Winning Spirit

Amanda

Forbidden is what I got.

Thanks for that newlink. It will be useful in future.

I was able to get to Reno Gazette but could not find what to click on to get Rudy. Since Rudy is a big favorite with GS members, could you give click directions once one gets into Reno Gazette (I could not find anything in Sports.)

or if you could paste the story onto thread in GS that would be a grateful alternative.

Thanks - Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I was able to get to Reno Gazette but could not find what to click on to get Rudy. Since Rudy is a big favorite with GS members, could you give click directions once one gets into Reno Gazette (I could not find anything in Sports.)
Joe, there's a little search box under the "Business" section (which is located on the yellow line at the top of the page). There's a little mushroom on the left, and the text says "14 day article search ". Click on the box (where it says "Search RGJ"), and you should be able to write there (write "rudy galindo"). Then click the "Search" button on the right.

It should be the second article (as of now). I've just found it myself, I haven't read it yet.

Thanks for the link, Amanda, and for keeping us updated. Best wishes to Rudy.

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
Thanks. I was able to find it by doing the search from the paper's home page. What a lovely article and what a nice person! I really admire how he is able to face so much adversity and still maintain a positive, life-embracing attitude.

alhuncc

Rinkside
I've emailed the Reno paper asking them if they can provide a stable url for the article. I can't copy and paste it as it's quite long and would violate copyright (I'm a librarian and that's a real no no!).

Anyhow, the article is in the Life section and is called Winning Spirit. If you go to that section and scroll down, you can access from there, too.

Amanda

ladybug

On the Ice
Anyone know how Rudy is doing since this second surgery? He seemed to do well after the first surgery but no information on this second one and it has been two days now. Seems like we should have heard something by now.

Ladybug

alhuncc

Rinkside
Sorry to be late with an update! Rudy had sort of a rough first night after surgery, but is fine now and home at Laura's.

The surgery itself again went very well, and Rudy's health is fine. He got a little dose of the pain he hadn't had after the first operation, and it set him back a bit psychologically.

He'll take a couple of days off, just getting around the house. Then he'll start back on the therapy regime he'd established before this surgery.

He will be pretty close to home for a long time now and always likes to hear from fans.

Rudy Galindo
4790 Caughlin Pkwy. - #319
Reno, NV 89509-0907

Amanda

ladybug

On the Ice
Thanks for the update Amanda. Wonder why the pain. I hope it was surgery pain and not anything else.

I just love Rudy's skating and he seems to be such a sweetheart. Besides all that, he could pass for my Son's twin.

Thanks again,
Ladybug

Mevrouw

Rinkside
Every surgery is different. I've had each hip replaced and the first one was different than the second. There is 'pain' for the first few days but most patients have a pump to administer their own medications for it (of course, with limits). I needed pain meds (tablets) for about a total of 14 days. Then I just forgot about it. He may have decided to use less of the pain pump which would hurt more, but allow him to recover faster. (That's what I did.)

If he's ready for physio, he's doing well. Hope all continues to go well for him.