SOI DC reception summary (long) + brief show report - 3/6/09 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

SOI DC reception summary (long) + brief show report - 3/6/09

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Kristi - she's still incredibly giving... she practically begged people to not worry about giving her family space on an elevator in 2006 and told others to jump on lol I think she's not as shy as she used to be ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
*first part of post deleted*

I think this experience wound up being better than the M&G SOI was offering on their site (in that we met multiple skaters, not just one), and better than the Aftershow pass (in that the skaters weren't being rushed anywhere). Just fantastic.

Last edited:

OnTheEdge

Rinkside
Nice Red Dog - thanks for your review and pics. This was the last thing I thought to see on the site, but have to say well done. I was there too, and you gave an excellent recap of the reception and show.

The skaters who were able to get to the reception from practice was great, considering we didn't know who was coming. Surprised Sasha made it with Todd, and John was quite friendly too, S&Z seemed quite nice but true didn't speak too much...a real treat for everyone. Of course, we did anticipate Michael Weiss being the home town skater, and all that he does for the skaters and community, pretty down to earth. They all were very gracious and kind to all at the reception, with the exception of Sasha who was somewhat stand off-ish and didn't smile in any photos we saw, nor too chatty. Maybe she was the most difficult for ordinary folk to approach?? so that was the reason for the aloof appearance…? Everyone was very friendly and made it rather easy to approach and chat with them. Definitely made the performance more 'personal' having the reception just before in that format - yes, fan appreciation upped by that!

Sasha fell on a 3 salchow. Couple of the skaters had some jumps changed to doubles - the ice remake was well over an hour and 15 min. into the show and may have contributed to some of it. Sasha's unfortunate fall was after the ice make, and the program was beautifully skated as she delivered her exquisite artistry and style...I wasn't disappointed at all, quite the contrary - really amazed by the feeling and mastery of the performance.

Todd did do the only triple axel of the evening (that I recall - Jeffrey was a triple jump machine along with Michael, but don't remember more than a double axel from them), as usual impressive and solid performances with captivating command.

It seems Michael’s children's hockey and soccer teams were there too (I think it was those sports, each child had their "team" with them). It was a lot of fun to watch all of them in the stands 'rocking the house' while Michael was skating. The crowd response for everyone was well deserved, and yes Michael’s was the loudest.

Watching the interactions of skaters in group numbers, they appeared to be having quite a good time out there with each other and performing. Lots of smiles and giggles. It showed in their skating they were enjoying the show.

Yuka is always delightful, and Red Dog had pics of a trio done with Yuka, John and Michael. That was well done with those three, very, very nice and enjoyable to watch.

S&Z’s pair throws are something else in person - even if you’d been sitting in the nose bleed section!!

One mention I didn't see posted was Marie France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon, they were exceptional. They've always been on my favorite list. Not a disappointment all evening!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nice Red Dog - thanks for your review and pics. This was the last thing I thought to see on the site, but have to say well done. I was there too, and you gave an excellent recap of the reception and show.

ah, I was starting to wonder whether I was the only GS member there...

The skaters who were able to get to the reception from practice was great, considering we didn't know who was coming. Surprised Sasha made it with Todd...

Completely agree.

They all were very gracious and kind to all at the reception, with the exception of Sasha who was somewhat stand off-ish and didn't smile in any photos we saw, nor too chatty. Maybe she was the most difficult for ordinary folk to approach?? so that was the reason for the aloof appearance…?

I was wondering the same thing, but I think it was actually the other way around: her stand-offish appearance MADE it difficult for folks to approach her.

Everyone was very friendly and made it rather easy to approach and chat with them. Definitely made the performance more 'personal' having the reception just before in that format - yes, fan appreciation upped by that!

:)

Sasha fell on a 3 salchow. Couple of the skaters had some jumps changed to doubles - the ice remake was well over an hour and 15 min. into the show and may have contributed to some of it. Sasha's unfortunate fall was after the ice make, and the program was beautifully skated as she delivered her exquisite artistry and style...I wasn't disappointed at all, quite the contrary - really amazed by the feeling and mastery of the performance.

Other than the fall, it was well-skated.

*sections of the post modified*

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the photos you got some good shots at the reception. Sasha was looking very French in her beret.

OnTheEdge - thank you for your review too.

Thanks for your review, OnTheEdge. :clap: :yes:

I wouldn't put much significance on the perception that Sasha seemed cooler than the others. Some people are naturally extroversted, some aren't.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Alas, they weren't there. The only guest we got was Jeff Buttle, and it looks like he will be the only guest in Philly as well.

Well a Jeff skate is always a treat. He would be welcome here in Vancouver...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Some people are naturally extroversted, some aren't.

Yeah, not to get into mushing mode (again) but we see that a lot in mushing. Rick Swenson is a bear of a man, and while he's a great guy within the mushing community he isn't "personable" with the fans. No idea why... it doesn't help that he was Susan Butcher's original rival and most still can't seem to cheer for him because of it (ie my mother).

Mitch Seavey is a great person and has a sense of humor and is personable... with people he knows. He's a shy guy who doesn't get all of the attention he gets because he's "just a dog musher." He gives just enough to keep the press happy in interviews but when he can he avoids them. Not because he's a jerk, but because he isn't into the whole press thing. He's a kick in the pants when he's not being sought after... and he hides when tourists are around because he hates the fuss :rofl:

then you have mushers like Lance Mackey and Jeff King who thrive on the attention... Jeff King is like the Kurt Browning or Scott Hamilton of the mushing world... even when he's not winning he's still memorable because he's playing to the fans... today he rode infront of his sled on a pair of SKIS! He's never dull. And Lance pretty much demands the crowd attention.

And then Martin Buser's just a nice guy who will talk and is Mr. Congeniality... :laugh:

so I wouldn't fault Sasha for being herself... or label her something negative (not saying anyone on here was...)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Red Dog: Thanks so much for the great review and I'm glad you had a great time! :)

OnTheEdge: I'm glad you had an enjoyable time too and thanks for also sharing your thoughts about the show and reception. :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Red Dog and OnTheEdge, thanks so much for the reviews! Just one question: Did Ilia Kulik not attend the reception or the show? I´m curious to hear, please....

R.D.

Record Breaker
Red Dog and OnTheEdge, thanks so much for the reviews! Just one question: Did Ilia Kulik not attend the reception or the show? I´m curious to hear, please....

He was in the show, but not at the reception.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog, thanks for sharing your pics and additional thoughts. :clap:

OnThe Edge, thanks so much for your review. :clap:

Glad to know that you both had a great time! :party: :biggrin:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
RED DOG and On The Edge,
Thank you very much for the great report. I was curious to know how it was. It helps a lot for the people who live far away and could no attend. I am glad to know that both of you had fun!!!:clap:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Folks, I had a change of heart...well, sort of. I will upload the pics I took with the skaters, taking great care to crop myself out of them ;) look for them in just a few seconds. (I'll leave out the one with S&Z since each of them stood on one side of me- i.e. I was in the middle and it would be difficult to crop that).

EDIT: Check the last 4 photos in the DC album. :)

Last edited: