[Russian] "Athletes sent to the barracks" | Golden Skate

[Russian] "Athletes sent to the barracks"

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/41498.html

Here is an issue that has gripped Russian sports fans for the past few days. Since some of the article is not is not related to Figure Skating, I will be giving synopsis of some paragraphs rather than full translations. To clarify – CSKA is a club in Moscow that’s affiliated (and sponsored by) the army; many of the best Soviet and Russian skaters have represented it, from Rodnina and Ulanov/ Zaitsev, to Gordeeva and Grinkov, to today’s Khokhlova and Novitski.

March 2, 2009
The largest and most successful athletic club of Russia, CSKA, has yesterday confirmed receiving an order from the Defense Ministry of Russia yesterday. According to this document, all athletes of draft age representing the club must be dispatched to the military bases for immediate service, while the rest are to be cut and transferred to the civilian ranks. This news about the radical reformation of CSKA has already caused consternation among Russia’s athletic leaders who believe that this can become a heavy blow to national sport.

Head of the club Sergei Kushenko yesterday abstained from commenting on the order that is directed towards cutting non-essential expenses of the ministry (it provides about half of the annual budget of its athletic division, making it 300,000,000 rubles, or $10M, for 2007). Clearly, though, it is a serious blow to Russia’s most successful club, whose athletes won 16 out 18 gold medals that Russia got at the Beijing Olympics. Essentially, the order bars those who’ve reached the draft age of the right from practicing their sport by, at least at CSKA, forcing them to seek ways to avoid immediate service by, for example, moving to other clubs; after all, they can still move to “Dinamo”. Those athletes and coaches who are not of draft age lose their officers’ salaries and other benefits. We’re talking here about turning CSKA into an ordinary civilian sports club without any benefits compared to others.

The order became an unwelcome surprise to sports leadership even though it technically fits into the framework of the military reforms initiated by Russia’s defense minister Anatoly Serduk. On October 14, 2008, he announced its beginning. Besides [changes in the military hierarchy], he planned cutting more than 160 thousand officers over three years. This entailed going aggressively after non-essential personnel, meaning doctors, economists, journalists, and interpreters; it also means athletes.

[Our] source at the CSKA told us yesterday that the order is already being actively implemented. According to him, about thirty athletes have been sent to the barracks in Teply Stan. Among them, there are several famous ones, such as Olympic champion of Greco-Roman wrestling Islambek Albiev, one of the most promising Russian skaters Artem Borodulin, and a basketball player from one of the strongest Europeans basketball clubs Andrei Voroncevich.

[…]

Figure Skating federation president Valentin Piseev, on learning that he team could perhaps not have Artem Borodulin available for the Los Angeles World Championships, did not hide his disbelief, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more stupid order. I don’t know what kind of a fighter they can make of Borodulin, but they can sure destroy him as a skater.”

As we found out, last night there were urgent consultations those interested in keeping CSKA’s high profile. They have asked sports minister Vitaly Mutko for help, and he should be letting his position known today.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/41859.html March 2, 2009

The minister of sport, tourism, and youth politics of Russia Vitaly Mutko has told the journalists that he’ll do anything in his power to insure that the athletes preparing for the Vancouver Olympics are not recalled to the military bases. Commenting on the news announcements about CSKA athletes being sent to the barracks for immediate service, the minister said, “It’s the reform of the Military. Too bad that it’s starting with the army sport.”

According to him, the ministry has its own suggestions for preserving the army sport. “Army sport is a huge base that include, among other things, 30 sports schools. We plan to discuss the situation with the Defense Ministry soon”, said V. Mutko.

[…]

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/41984.html
All athletes of the army club CSKA who were sent to military bases on March 1st following an order from the Defence ministry will be temporarily relieved. According to “Soviet Sport”, the compromise has been reached on Monday following talks between the sports […] minister Vitaly Mutko and defense minister Anatoly Serdukov.

Draft-eligible athletes will be allowed to train with their teams under regular condition until the end of the year, specifies “Sport” TV station. Accordingly, ministries are continuing negotiations to regulate military service for the CSKA athletes.
[…]

I'm happy that Borodulin is a favorite with the Russian Government. He can be can be, imo, a gold olympic contender.

lcd

Match Penalty
Thank you Ptichka again for your unique access and insights. To sporting "world" is indeed filled with so many different levels which the normal fan never hears about.

I'm happy that Borodulin is a favorite with the Russian Government.

Yeah, so much so that they want to send him off to a military base to tote a rifle instead of allowing him to train in his sport.

Well, maybe the compromise will extend at least until the Olympics.

This is quite an interesting development. Back in the good old days, when the cold war was hot and the Olympics were "amateur," the Western world constantly complained that the Russians were cheating by sending professional athletes to the Olympics under the thinly disguised lie that they were not really professional athletes, they were "soldiers" who happened to dabble in amateur athletics in their spare time.

I guess the worldwide budget crunch has caught up with the remnants of the old Soviet sports system, as with everyone else.

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
... under the thinly disguised lie that they were not really professional athletes, they were "soldiers" who happened to dabble in amateur athletics in their spare time...

:sheesh:

This applied and applies not only to former Eastern block states; I know at least from all three of the German speaking countries (Switzerland, Austria, Germany) that there were/are "sport soldiers" who in fact are full time professional athletes. IMO the problem in Russia at the moment is not a "back to the good old times", but that the respective system does not work any more.

I guess I read that wrong.

However military conscription is a part of most countries of the world. Until it was repealed in the US, many skaters and entertainers were drafted until released by the military services.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
In another article I read, it mentioned that Borodulin got off with just a light scare - he was just told to pack up, but he didn't actually make it to the base. The basketball player Vorontsevich was actually sent there, only to be returned two days later. Also worth nothing that nobody touched soccer players - they were always allowed to just go on training as normal...

Medusa

Record Breaker
This applied and applies not only to former Eastern block states; I know at least from all three of the German speaking countries (Switzerland, Austria, Germany) that there were/are "sport soldiers" who in fact are full time professional athletes.

Were? The Bundeswehr is like our biggest supporter of elite sports. The skaters in the Bundeswehr are: Anette Dytrt, William and Christina Beier, Alexander Gazsi, Carolina Hermann, Florian Just, Peter Liebers, Stefan Lindemann, Philipp Tischendorf, Marie Vartmann and Daniel Wende.

The entire list is like really really long, loads of biathletes, track and field athletes etc. At least every second medal winner at World / European Championships or Olympics is a soldier.

viv

On the Ice
Were? The Bundeswehr is like our biggest supporter of elite sports. The skaters in the Bundeswehr are: Anette Dytrt, William and Christina Beier, Alexander Gazsi, Carolina Hermann, Florian Just, Peter Liebers, Stefan Lindemann, Philipp Tischendorf, Marie Vartmann and Daniel Wende.

The entire list is like really really long, loads of biathletes, track and field athletes etc. At least every second medal winner at World / European Championships or Olympics is a soldier.

Of course they are. "Were" refered to the term "Eatsren block states". Maybe my English has let me down there...