SOI Philly 3-13-09 (shorter) | Golden Skate

SOI Philly 3-13-09 (shorter)

R.D.

Record Breaker
This time I got to sit in on the whole show. I was on the ice, on the opposite end. When I first got there I was worried that I wouldn't get a good view, but once the show was about 10 minutes in I quickly realized they were actually probably the best seats in the house. The skaters did a lot of their jumps and poses in our section of the ice. You'd think I'd have gotten good pics, and I did get a few but the camera wouldn't focus on most of them :banging:

Only two mishaps on jumps that I can remember...Yuka Sato put a hand down and Cohen two-footed a jump- ironically that was the same jump she fell on in DC. Maybe she's having difficulties with that particular jump (whatever it is). No falls.

Great show. It's amazing how simply sitting elsewhere in the arena makes a difference. Being right in front of the action made me enjoy this show quite a bit more than the DC one (and there, I was only about 5 or 6 rows up!) I'd imagine others will chime in with their experiences, and I told you what I've basically thought in my DC thread so I'll keep it brief. I just dig the back-flips the guys do, and so does the rest of the audience. Those moves got the biggest reaction from the crowd. I got a nice pic of one as well.

Remember in DC I said Jeff was my favorite? Well, not this time. I can't really pick a favorite, but I liked the female skaters. Everyone was enjoyable though. I enjoyed Jennifer and particularly Yuka Sato. Cohen's Moonlight Sonata is a great one to see live. And her Angels transition is nice, too. I seemed to get more out of it sitting where I was tonight than back in DC.

Many of the transitions were quite cheesy...especially the "Don't Skate" one. But a few others I thought were actually nicely done- i.e. the one with the falls.

I think it is more fair to compare this experience with last year's than the other show I went to. I think this year's show flows better than last year's did, with the transitions and increased (?) audience participation. However, last year's show (the one I went to) had more star power (B&A, Meissner, Lysacek, etc.). So I think in the end, it balances out. At the end of the show, we got low-fives from the entire cast. I think everyone in the on-ice seats had the chance to low-five all the skaters, which I think is a slight improvement from just having a couple of skaters shake your hand. Then they threw out the Smucker's strawberries before the left.

ETA: I uploaded some pics, check 'em out

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/570527924KnQXFy

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for your comments, RD. The Philly show was wonderful. :party: I just don't know where to begin. I love the camaraderie of the cast and so much more. Give me time to gather my thoughts on the whole evening as we'll be out most of the day. I'm thrilled that we caught one of those adorable strawberries at the end. I'm just on cloud nine from it all, and can't wait to see it all again on in Northern NJ on March 28!

skamper23

Medalist
Glad you all had a fabulous time last night! I'm excited to see the show again!!I'm heading to Providence today!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for your comments, RD. The Philly show was wonderful. :party: I just don't know where to begin. I love the camaraderie of the cast and so much more. Give me time to gather my thoughts on the whole evening as we'll be out most of the day. I'm thrilled that we caught one of those adorable strawberries at the end. I'm just on cloud nine from it all, and can't wait to see it all again on in Northern NJ on March 28!

Oh, you caught one of them? Good for you. :agree: was there anything in it?

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I really should go to the Pittsburgh show but still haven't decided. Probably would go solo, no one else is probably interested. Last time took my mom and sister in nosebleed seats, they weren't that impressed. Dunno if I was either, I'm not much for the hammery of show skating. It was nice to see Sasha again though. I would really like to see her moonlight program in person... kinda late though, I think all the good seats are gone. :cool:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Beautiful photos RD. You captured just about the entire show. You must have had great seats.

Thank you.

R.D.

Record Breaker
No problem.

I forgot to mention in the initial report...there was a close call in the finale (I don't know if the folks in the upper seats caught this)- Cohen had a near miss on a transition and just saved herself from a fall. I think she laughed it off though.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for your report. It's nice to read a different perspective on the same show I saw.

I have to say, overall, I enjoyed the female performers more. I guess that would be natural though, huh?! ;)

sillylionlove

Medalist
I also enjoyed the show very much. I was using a new camera (that has like a 100 page instruction book) so I took alot of pictures but only some came out really good (guess I really need to read the book!)

While I liked all the skating, I have to say that Shen and Zhao were my favorite in their first number, Ramalama. The music was such a departure from what I am used to seeing them skate and the choreograpy was amazing!! I have never seen Jeffrey Buttle live before and I have to say that he was very good. My mom said "wow he's really lyrical" LOL. As always it was a great show and I am looking forward to next year.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks Gail and Sillyinlove for your reports. Glad you both enjoyed the show.