Whichis your favorite Olympics overa (1988 - 2002) | Golden Skate

Whichis your favorite Olympics overa (1988 - 2002)

F

fml99

Whichis your favorite Olympics overa (1988 - 2002)

As we discuss former skaters and their respective Olympic games, it got me to thinking - What is everyone's favorite Olympics in terms of the skating as a whole? In other words, if you were on a desert island and could have a video of only one Olympic figure skating competition, which Olympics would it be?

I am only including 1988 - 2002 at this point because I think these are the ones that most are familiar with. However, if you've seen others in full, please feel free to comment.

K

Kara Bear

Re: Which is your favorite Olympics over (1988 - 2002)

I picked '94, although '98 is a close second, held back by my painful memories of watching an injured Elvis skate.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

1994... G&G... Oksana... Kurt's comeback... yup... also the last skating event I got to watch with my great aunt before she passed away :(

P

Pookie

I chose Albertville regarding the skating.

Just for the Olympics as a whole, I thought Calgary's had a wonderful feel to the whole thing.

I

icenut84

I voted for Lillehammer 94, with Salt Lake a close (ish) second.

L

lovespirals

Re: Whichis your favorite Olympics overa (1988 - 2002)

For me it was a close running between 1988 and 1994. Both had things that I like in an Olympics ; a good- natured nationalistic atmoshphere, good sportsmanship overall, excellence in competition, warm, friendly atmoshphere. I chose Lillehammer in the poll. Just Fantastic!

M

mmandel

1994...my first watched Olympics. Drama...oh so much drama.

S

sk8ing lady2001

It was definitely Salt Lake, in regards to the skating. I felt so sorry for Michelle, but will never forget Sarah's amazing free skate! Alexei also had awesome short and long programs. I especially loved the short! Also, the drama in the pairs and dance events, and the great skating itself. As a whole, I loved it! '94 is a close second for me. :)

D

DonnaML

I voted for 1988 Calgary mainly because of Brian B. However my very favorite was Squaw Valley 1960 because I got to attend this winter Olympics in my State, and got to see the Gold medal win's of Carol Heiss and David Jenkins. Also Barbara Roles win Bronze and The Luddington's Win Bronze in Pairs.

M

mathman444

Wow, you were lucky to see Carol Heiss at Squaw Valley, Donna. Carol was the first champion skater that I got to see, when she went on tour with Ice Capades.

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you'll be posting a lot.

My favorite Olympics was Alberville, with Kristi and Midori.

Mathman

S

Show 42

For me, without a doubt was Paul winning the silver medal at Alberville.......what a moment for him that he so deserved...42

D

DORISPULASKI

Without doubt for me it was 1988. I can still watch the incredible SP and LP that comprised the Battle of the Brians.
In the SP, you had Paul Wylie, Christ Bowman, Kurt Browning, Viktor Petrenko, Kotin, and both Brians and they ALL skated GREAT. In the LP, all 3 medallists skated absolutely Superb programs. The winner skated the best program of his life and was absolutely, transcendantly thrilled with it. How could you have a better performance!

In the pairs, you had the perfection of G&G in both the SP and LP, and the determined skating of Watson and Oppegard to win the bronze. You had Wachsman and Waggonner's best ever SP and it was great. You had the first Olympics (and unless you were Canadian) your first view of Brasseur and Eisler). And in the SP, Hough and Ladret and Benning Johnston skated well too. Again, the obviously best skaters won with a perfect performance. What is not to like?

In the ladies, you had the drama of claiming Is it Debi? Is it Kat?, Nope the performance of the evening is Liz Manley!!! And you had Debi's great SP, and her great exhibition. And the absolutely amazing skae of Midori Ito.

In dance, the excitement was the first real visibility of the Duchesnay's even though they didn't medal. B&B did what B&B do and did it without mistake to win, but the excitement and the hearts went to the Duchesnay's. And the great, now bittersweet, bronze medal performance to Ragtime of Wilson and the now deceased McCall. And what I thought was a preferable skate, that of K&P to place second. Also wonderful, but not as satisfying from a may the best team win perspective.

My 2nd place Olympics would be 1984-Torvill and Dean! Scott and Brian Orser! Kat's 1st Gold. V&V's gold, but the super silver medal skate of the Carruthers.
dpp

D

Dee4707

I voted for 2002 but enjoyed all of them. The reason I voted for 2002 was Alexei's short and free skate. I had watched him in '98 and here and there after '98. I had seen Man in the Iron Mask and thought he is not just good, he is great. His win in SLC made that a memorable olympic for me.

Dee

K

Kasey

SLC was a good one for me, since I greatly like Sarah Hughes and Alexei Yagudin. But for me, one of the most awesome moments in skating was watching Paul Wylie conquer his demons in Albertville and prove he DID belong there! :) What a pair of performances for him!

Kasey

K

Kayskates

I would either pick 1984 or 1980, but neither is on the poll. 1984 b/c of T&D's Bolero which was one of the most significant moments in skating, IMO. Perfect 6s across the board probably won't be duplicated. It was also Witt's first win and Hamilton's. Hamilton did not skate the performance of his life, but as a pro he had great impact on the sport.

1980 b/c I clearly remember watching it. I was about 13 years old. I loved watching skating, though I did not skate myself. Robin Cousins is one of my favorites. Of course, the Tai and Randy incident was very sad and disappointing. I remember watching them leave the competition. I have been to Lake Placid many times and have seen shows in the arena and have skated there myself.

Kay
<a href="http://www.skatejournal.com" target="_new">www.skatejournal.com</a>

P

Ptichka

Having G&G, M&D, and B&I all compete in pairs! Awesome examples of Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Canadian schools of pair skating. And with strong 4th and 5th places as well.

In Dance, having G&P, U&Z, and T&D.

The only disappointment for me was men -- I so wanted Elvis to win!