Mao Asada, Kim Yu-Na jump for joy, and more | Golden Skate

Mao Asada, Kim Yu-Na jump for joy, and more

dkyoun

Rinkside
Yes !! this is what i wanted for. :bow:

Jump is just a part of it.
And what i want from figure skating is an impression Kwan and Katarina witt did.

Totally agree and thanks for the thread. :agree:

Last edited:

MrHand

Rinkside
Why did this journalist lady had the sudden urge to write a such tutorial article is not quite understood from the article itself. Yuna had huge sucess at the novice and junior level, and whatever combination of on and off the ice training Yuna had must have worked in Yuna's favor. To say that Yuna wasn't happy in Korea would be undermining Yuna's former coaches. When Yuna came to Canada , she did initially spent many weeks building her stamina and strenght, which comprised of lots of conditioning at the gym. Brian Orser did say his job as coach was to motivate Yuna. But really failed to mention anything revolutionary he had implemented in any press so far. Yuna has inborn artistry and musicality that cannot be tought.

Last edited:

elusiveanth

Spectator
Why did this journalist lady had the sudden urge to write a such tutorial article is not quite understood from the article itself. Yuna had huge sucess at the novice and junior level, and whatever combination of on and off the ice training Yuna had must have worked in Yuna's favor. To say that Yuna wasn't happy in Korea would be undermining Yuna's former coaches. When Yuna came to Canada , she did initially spent many weeks building her stamina and strenght, which comprised of lots of conditioning at the gym. Brian Orser did say his job as coach was to motivate Yuna. But really failed to mention anything revolutionary he had implemented in any press so far. Yuna has inborn artistry and musicality that cannot be tought.

i think you're missing the point of the article. the writer isn't questioning yuna's practice or discipline. she's merely demonstrating that in order for one to succeed in sport, one has to succeed in life as well. i'm glad that both mao and yuna are growing upwards and outwards in both arenas, and maintaining their perspective in spite of the tensions of competition. :rock:

I tend to agree with Mr. Hand's posts (even though he deleted the last one out of courtesy. :) )

When Yu-na Kim first came to Canada to train there were several articles in the North American media along the lines of, "oh look how sad this poor girl looks. All she ever does is skate and not have any fun."

No one bothered to ask Kim how she felt about it. :)

I think it was a combination of two things. First, she was very young, not an experienced international traveller, away from home for the fist time, she was shy, did not know anyone in her new country, and she did not speak English very well at the time (now she speaks beautiful English with great fluency.) So it would be natural if she kept to herself a lot.

Secondly, as Mr. Hand points out, all elite athletes must concentrate single-mindedly on their competitive goals. It is the nature of sport at the highest levels. This does not mean that Kim was unhappy or that she needed other distractions to cheer her up.