Interesting CoP description / breakdown | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interesting CoP description / breakdown

euterpe

Medalist
Seems to me that the point total may well become the new '6.0'.

Initially the CoP may cause conservatism with respect to trying more complex jumps or jump combinations, but eventually we may see skaters focus on beating the current point-total 'record'.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(picture it... MK skates and it's announced... "a total of 184.32 points!!!! the crowd goes wild!!"- kinda hard to picture).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jush thinking. After that announcement, SC skates and "a total of 184.33 points!!! the other crowd goes wild!!"

Is it possible for two contestants to come that close? (Shades of SLC Pairs.) I can hear the conspiracy theories.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joe, one thing they said about CoP right a way was that it WILL allow ties.

Hi Pitchka and thanks for the info. Just think of a three way tie. Everyone will be pleased. (We kindasortahad one in Campbells)

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
Someone mentioned earlier that the GOE of +3 might become the new 6.0 as well as the point total setting a new record. (sorry I can't remember "someone").

I was wondering if they would even announce it in the arena if there was a +3 on an element. It seems more likely that the point total will be what's announced at the event itself. The question is how much detail will they show later on websites. I plan on being cautiously optimistic that they will actually continue to post detail similar to Nebelhorn. I hope they don't settle on their standard fare of "what the audience doesn't know is good for the ISU."

I see a lot of potential as well as a lot of room for screw-ups in public relations. So far it seems the ISU has managed to take most of the downward paths when it comes to public good-will. (i.e. "do it my way or else" attitude or "we're not afraid of anyone else but we'll squash dissenters like bugs so no one will ever hear a different opinion" attitude or my personal short and favorite "f*** you, you're just an ignorant fan") The end does not always justify the means. Maybe the ISU needs to hire a media coach. ;)

Spirit

On the Ice
The one thing I didn't like about the 6.0 system is that an outstanding program which deserved 6.0's would sometimes not get it because it was skated early and the judges had to leave room. I always felt that was so wrong. The CoP will at least change that, for which I am grateful.

I think if we want to see more skating on TV, the sport has got to regain its popularity with the general public. The PR people at ISU should be playing up the CoP as entertainment in marks as was the 6.0 system. The general public understood the 6.0. Will they enjoy seeing the CoP grades?

Joe