48 Tomas VERNER
CZE
49 Patrick CHAN
CAN
50 Kevin VAN DER PERREN
BEL

Medusa

Record Breaker
Oh no, this is bad. This is so bad! Chan has already won the SP. He is basically skating last, and the other strong non-Quad SPs directly before him with Kozuka and Abbott. And here I was hoping that Kozuka could really challenge with a brilliant SP, similar to the one at the GPF.

My guess is that after the short it will look like this
1. Chan 92,0 points (clean)
2. Kozuka 84,5 points (crystal clean)
3. Abbott 84 points
4. Lysacek 83,5 points
5. Oda 81,0 points (clean, but first of all the Top guys)
6. Joubert 78,5 points (doubling the Triple of the 4-3, double-footing the Lutz)
7. Contesti 78,0 points (clean, but way too early in the competition)
8. Mroz 77,0 points (clean but blah)
9. Verner 76,0 points (only 3-3, popping the Axel - saved by outrageous PCS)
10. KVDP 74,0 points (clean, but well - he is KVDP - this would be close to a personal best I think)

Wrlmy

Medalist
I just realized Brian and Evan are the sole former worlds medalists. I hope they bring on 4-3!!

Medusa

Record Breaker
I swear if Chan scores almost 10 points above a clean Abbott or Kozuka, I'll probably scream and not in a good way.

Medusa, think positive. ;)

Medusa can't! It's a hopeless case. Medusa was all calm and zen-like today - till she switched on the computer and read those Chan articles. And then those starting orders. Now Medusa is all jittery, talks about herself in the third person, eats enormous amounts of Belgium chocolate and fears that her very favourite sports event of the year - the Men's Figure Skating Competition at the World Championships - is going to be spoilt by serious overscoring of a Canadian brat!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The skate gods will take their revenge in the FS.......Chan will have a disastrous performance and will fall off the podium, down to 5th.

mrd2301

Rinkside
Oh, Medusa. I exactly know how you are feeling…Oh, well. Just take it easy. Lighten up a little.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will scream if the judges make any one skater/team in any discipline out of reach from the SP points total. A skater/team shouldn't be able to win a championship only on the strength of one program. :banging::mad::scowl:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yeah, this is heavily slotted of Chan. Evan's place is not that great and Oda is arguable worse.

Kinga

Medalist
Oh no, this is bad. This is so bad! Chan has already won the SP. He is basically skating last, and the other strong non-Quad SPs directly before him with Kozuka and Abbott. And here I was hoping that Kozuka could really challenge with a brilliant SP, similar to the one at the GPF.

If he skates clean, I really hopes that he gets this score, because I am so annoyed with these mean speculations. It is so over the top.
Come on Chan, kick some a***s!

I don't. How can Medusa be so frantic over something that has not happened?

Exactly! Who know how the judges will judge? It is not excluded that the competition will be judged correctly and no one will be overscored.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I understand how you feel, Medusa :). Here is a hug: (((((((((((Medusa)))))))))))

Careful with the chocolate--it elates, but it has caffeine, thereby increasing the jitters lol.

After reading those articles, and then seeing the starting order, it is easy to wonder. The new system in no way prevents a fix. That is too bad, because Patrick is really an enormously talented skater, and now, if he wins, some may be understandably dubious about his deserving it. PCS now can achieve what "Presentation" used to achieve. As it is said in the French saying , "the more things change, the more they stay the same". However, I do think that Patrick really does have excellent PCS; he just does not have excellent interview skills lol. Since he did state that he is working on a quad, perhaps his belligerence was largely defensive in nature.

I like the skating of several of the male competitors, but my heart is with Brian. I hope Kozuka has a really good day tomorrow, too. I find his elegance most pleasing. I also hope that things will go well for Oda. The last time I saw him, Ponsero was very convincing; I hope he can be again. I think that Jeremy Abbott has the kind of difficult, intricate program that really works well with CoP; he only has to control his nerves to do well, I think. Kevin VDP is not enchantingly graceful, but he is a true athlete, and I hope he aquits himself well. I hope also that Andrei Lutai has a good day tomorrow; he may have the goods to make the top ten, and only needs not to be nervous.

There are many others with serious talent on the list, so even the most talented will have to work hard to make the top ten. Remember, these men are skating for the number of Olympic entries the country they represent will have in 2010. That is part of what makes this Worlds so exciting. Countries with two or three competitors need for their top two entries to earn a combined placement sum of 28 or less, in order to earn two spots for the Olys; for three spots, they need a combined placement sum of 13 or less. If a country has only one competitor entered here, they need to have a placement number of not more than 10 to earn two spots for the Olys, and not more than 2 to earn three spots. Obviously, it is very hard to make the leap from one entry to three!

enlight78

Medalist
I will scream if the judges make any one skater/team in any discipline out of reach from the SP points total. A skater/team shouldn't be able to win a championship only on the strength of one program. :banging::mad::scowl:

what if everybody else fall three times?:cool:

Eevun

Final Flight
Medusa can't! It's a hopeless case. Medusa was all calm and zen-like today - till she switched on the computer and read those Chan articles. And then those starting orders. Now Medusa is all jittery, talks about herself in the third person, eats enormous amounts of Belgium chocolate and fears that her very favourite sports event of the year - the Men's Figure Skating Competition at the World Championships - is going to be spoilt by serious overscoring of a Canadian brat!

I understand you. Here's (((hug))) for the both of us. It doesn't feel like Worlds. I'm feeling all apathetic. (It may have something to do with now when 2009 Worlds is here, 2008 is all gone, for real, and that makes me sad... Göteborg was The Event.) And yes, men's field isn't that exciting as I thought it would be. I cross my fingers that the judges keeps their heads cool... We'll see in a day. I never thought I would miss the gentlemen that's gone, as I do now...
Bring on the chocolate!!

jettasian

Match Penalty
Wow, Chan bashing already even before the competition has started? So I guess Chan can't win then, cause if he wins, obviously it's because of THE SLOT and he's the judges pet :rolleye:

I'm shocked nobody has accused of the order of skate since the judges LOVE Chan so much, probably they have something to do with the skating order :rolleye:

Your baseless bashing just shows how immature you are :sheesh:

Last edited: