Skate America | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate America

jaws12345

Match Penalty
We travel by car, so I can't offer much help with the airports, but this link might help you out http://lakeplacid.com/flash/planyourtrip/z-planyourtrip.htm . Major airports include Albany NY, Montreal and Burlington VT, but any one of those will put you 2 hours away from Lake Placid.

If you don't want to rent a car, I think one of your only options is to look at flying into Boston's Logan Airport and booking a connecting flight to Saranac Lake on Cape Air. That will put you about 15 miles from Lake Placid, which is an easy taxi ride. Just to let you know though, Cape Air has very small planes, I think they are commonly referred to as puddle jumpers.

Hmm... doesn't sound like it is gonna be an easy trip. Anyway, thanks a lot for your info Tammi.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I would urge everyone driving who may be unfamiliar with ice and snow conditions to exercise caution and make certain you drive a vehicle with appropriate tires, gears, etc. In my experience it isn't even so much the area around LP that causes problems as driving through Albany.

Tammi

On the Ice
Hmm... doesn't sound like it is gonna be an easy trip. Anyway, thanks a lot for your info Tammi.
Unfortunately, it's not really an easy trip for anyone, but it will be well worth it ;) . It's a beautiful village and a great lineup of competitors.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Yay I just got all event tickets.
GOLD section 6 row 2..
seems like all other good sections are already sold out.
By the way, does anyone know what official hotels are?

sillylionlove

Medalist
The official hotes are listed as

Crowne Plaza, the Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort and The Pines

for more hotel information
visit the Lake Placid Essex County Visitors Bureau website at www.lakeplacid.com.

I am staying in the Econolodge because it's cheaper and I don't plan on spending much time in the room.(it's a little over a mile from the arena.) I think my friend is staying at the Holiday Inn across from the arena but I am not sure.

As for travel there, it's really not an easy trip in the snow! So let's hope it's a mild winter and there isn't any snow. I am splitting the trip and driving from Southern New Jersey to Albany and then staying overnight and then going the 3 plus hours from Albany to Lake Placid the next day!!

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am planning on attending SA in November. I will be flying in from Seattle so I have no idea what airport in NY state I should use and how I could get to the venue (The Olympic Center) from the airport. Can anyone who live nearby explain? It would be a great help! Thanks a lot.

You might be able to fly into the area and take a bus from the airport to Lake Placid....I know AMTRAK has bus service to Lake Placid (well it's curbside...not station or anything...I think it stops at the Hilton) I am not sure about Greyhound though you might want to check with them.

gocaroline

On the Ice
I was planning to go if both Yuna and Caroline will be there. Now I am not going but good luck to people who still plan to go. I once stayed in the Hilton by the mirror lake and it's pretty good, but there is a short distance of hill leading to the Hilton. For girls, there is a GAP outlet on the Main Street.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
You might be able to fly into the area and take a bus from the airport to Lake Placid....I know AMTRAK has bus service to Lake Placid (well it's curbside...not station or anything...I think it stops at the Hilton) I am not sure about Greyhound though you might want to check with them.

If you are coming from the west cost, I suggest you go to Montreal using Air Canada then drive down to LC for 3 hrs. Air Canada costs about 170 dollars for a flight from west cost (LA, SF, Seattle) to Montreal. However, WC to Albany cost over $240.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
I was planning to go if both Yuna and Caroline will be there. Now I am not going but good luck to people who still plan to go. I once stayed in the Hilton by the mirror lake and it's pretty good, but there is a short distance of hill leading to the Hilton. For girls, there is a GAP outlet on the Main Street.

Too bad that this year's SA entries are not as luxurious as they were last year.. Maybe TEB took top tier skaters this season.

Tammi

On the Ice
I think my friend is staying at the Holiday Inn across from the arena but I am not sure.
I'm almost positive the Holiday Inn is actually the Crowne Plaza. That's the one situated at the top of the hill adjacent to the rink.

As an FYI, I'll be in Lake Placid this summer, so if anyone would like me to check out something for them, just let me know. I have my dining guide from last year and I can make note of anything special. Dining can get a bit expensive, so you probably want to plan accordingly.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I'm almost positive the Holiday Inn is actually the Crowne Plaza. That's the one situated at the top of the hill adjacent to the rink.

As an FYI, I'll be in Lake Placid this summer, so if anyone would like me to check out something for them, just let me know. I have my dining guide from last year and I can make note of anything special. Dining can get a bit expensive, so you probably want to plan accordingly.

I didn't realize that they were the same hotel. If you are there this summer...check out the parking in town by the arena....my mom is like no way am I walking a mile in the middle of November in Lake Placid!!!

As for eating...yeah I will be at the arena for like hours at a time...so might have to load the cooler in the car so check out to see if there are supermarkets!!

Thanks!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't realize that they were the same hotel. If you are there this summer...check out the parking in town by the arena....my mom is like no way am I walking a mile in the middle of November in Lake Placid!!!

As for eating...yeah I will be at the arena for like hours at a time...so might have to load the cooler in the car so check out to see if there are supermarkets!!

Thanks!!

There is a convenience store located just down the block from the arena.

Tammi

On the Ice
There's a pay per use lot across the street from the arena. There's around 125 spots. I'll check to see what they normally charge when we're there in August, but I imagine they'll be charging an event fee during SA. There's a smaller lot behind the rink which probably will be used for staff. I know in the summer, there's a free trolley/shuttle that runs continuously around Main Street, right up to the Price Choppers supermarket and back to the ski jumping complex. If that's running in the winter, it's probably a better option (and if I'm reading the route correctly, the Econolodge is a pickup/drop off spot). If you have Google Earth, just type in 1 Olympic Drive and you'll get a great layout of Main Street and what's around it.

There are some very small convenience stores in town and just outside of town, there is a Price Choppers supermarket. Main Street is Route 86 and it turns into Saranac Ave. The Price Choppers is on Saranac Ave.

The rink does have a small cafeteria, with maybe 8 or 10 tables. It's open for breakfast and lunch when we're there in the summer. They also have kiosks inside the rink which serve things like hot dogs, popcorn and soda.

Edited to add: While a mile isn't all that far, the walk from the Econolodge into downtown Lake Placid is primarily uphill. If it's cold or you have bad weather, that's going to be a long, tough mile.

Last edited:

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Question..
Do you think it is better to book a hotel as early as possible?
I am not sure about hotel situation in LP, and currently am not even sure when I will arrive there.
Can anyone give me a piece of advice?

From my research, there are a gazillion places to stay in the area so you won't have trouble getting A room (SOME room) late. There seem to be lots of motels as well as some spa-type places and even apartments, townhouses, and condos available for short-term rental.

However, if you are picky about the type of place or the location, it's always wise to book in advance. We have to be picky because my husband will probably skip a fair amount of the competition to work in our hotel room. So we will be reserving in the next couple of weeks.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Thanks for all the information. As it gets closer I am sure that I will look more into all of this.

for anyone that got all event tickets....did you get practice passes or did they say anything about the practice sessions?

TripletA

Rinkside
I am trying to talk myself into this. Problem is a 5 hour car drive is a ten hour bus ride and I would be taking a bus.

Some of my fave skaters are going to be there so I just might have to cowboy up and get my butt in gear.