Skate America | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America

sillylionlove

Medalist
I don't care who is there. I will still be chasing them around to get autographs and pictures like a 10 year old at a Miley Cirus concert!!

Pick 6 from above and from your head, not your heart. :)

I can't do it! :laugh: I want Leonova, Lepisto and Nagasu. :love: :laugh:

But seriously ;), a choice from my head would just be to go with the ladies who are in the top six now. I suppose that would be Kim, Asada, Ando, Rochette, Kostner (despite her set-back at Worlds), and why not Rachael for the sixth? And Caroline Z. is right up there with Rachael at the moment, so if someone falters (as is almost certain to happen), why not two American ladies in the mix?

But that's now. Come October I expect to see Leonova and Suzuki make their moves.

But that's now. Come October I expect to see Leonova and Suzuki make their moves.
I don't know if anyone else noticed but I saw some good improvement in Na ya Kim last year. I have a feeling the Korean Fed is putting in extra time with her to begin their stable of Ladies in Korea. If all goes well, there will be more.

For those who've been to a GP before - how many total hours of skating per day will there be? Is there usually a break between events?

I need to prepare my husband. :chorus:

I can see that too with Leonova. Remember 98 Olys: Irina finished in 8th place and in 2002 she was the big contender. I will not be surprised if Leonova makes a big statement in the GPs and is a contender for the Olys. :agree:

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
For those who've been to a GP before - how many total hours of skating per day will there be? Is there usually a break between events?

I need to prepare my husband. :chorus:
This year's SA schedule
(there is usually 60-90 minute break between session)

Thursday, November 12
Official Practice

Friday, November 13
Session 1 3 p.m. Compulsory Dance
Session 2 7 p.m. Pairs Short Program, Men's Short Program

Saturday, November 14
Session 3 2 p.m. Original Dance, Pairs Free Skate
Session 4 7 p.m. Ladies Short, Men's Free Skate

Sunday, November 15
Session 5 2 p.m. Free Dance, Ladies Free Skate
Session 6 7:30 p.m. Exhibition of Champions

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
The practice sessions are usually back to back with not much of a break in between other then when the resurface the ice. They don't have the practice schedule made yet and probably won't for another few months.

This year's SA schedule
(there is usually 60-90 minute break between session)
Thank you. I did see the schedule before I asked. I'm really trying to project the actual skating hours because of endurance and concentration issues, esp. for my husband. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

We're getting all-event tix but I've never been to a competition (except a small local one) and don't know how much time to allow for judging, zamboning, etc. Also do the second sessions each day tend to start on time or not?

I have a feeling I will have a few event tickets to give away as hubby will probably prefer to work.

sillylionlove

Medalist
They usually start on time. The part that takes time is the part that's live for television as the scores don't come up until after the commercial break! The zamboni break is no more then 15 minutes usually and sometimes shorter if they have two going at once!! (which usually makes me super excited...duelling zamboni's!!!)

Silver......there are usually a great deal of us there, sitting there all day and I tend to be really goofy and crazy so you will always have fun if I am around LOL!!!

They usually start on time. The part that takes time is the part that's live for television as the scores don't come up until after the commercial break! The zamboni break is no more then 15 minutes usually and sometimes shorter if they have two going at once!! (which usually makes me super excited...duelling zamboni's!!!)

Silver......there are usually a great deal of us there, sitting there all day and I tend to be really goofy and crazy so you will always have fun if I am around LOL!!!
Oh, call me Spun. :p I totally look forward to meeting you!!

Thanks for the further detail.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Buying all events?

For those who bought all event ticket by calling them, here are my questions.

1. How did you purchase? Just letting then know your credit card number?
2. Practice session is included for free?
3. Can you select your seats? For individual tickets, it doesn't seem possible.
4. When will the tickets be mailed? Are they e-tickets?
5. No refunds, right?

Thanks!

I'm sure there is a Map (plan) of the arena on the website. Look at it and decide where you want to sit at the price you will pay. When you call talk to them in the sense you won't go unless you get the seat you want.

sillylionlove

Medalist
For those who bought all event ticket by calling them, here are my questions.

1. How did you purchase? Just letting then know your credit card number?
2. Practice session is included for free?
3. Can you select your seats? For individual tickets, it doesn't seem possible.
4. When will the tickets be mailed? Are they e-tickets?
5. No refunds, right?

Thanks!

1. I called the box office and gave them my credit card number over the phone.
2. Practice sessions are included however when I got my tickets there were no tickets for the practice sessions. I called the box office and they indicated that my regular tickets should include admission to the practice sessions but they did admit that they haven't figured out the practice session schedule yet. I will probably call the box office back in a few months and ask about the practice sessions again.
3. I selected the package I wanted (gold, silver and bronze) and then went through the seating for each session. I didn't get the same seat for each session but I am sitting in the same general section maybe a row or two away.
4. I got my tickets about a month of so after I ordered them. There are no e-tickets...they are actual paper tickets.
5. No refunds...so if you buy and can't go....you have to sell them!

Hope this information helps.

sillylionlove

Medalist
You are welcome. They are really nice at the box office but if you are getting all event tickets be prepared to be on the phone for about 20 minutes or so...they go through each session seperately when you are ordering the tickets so it takes some time.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
How to get to Lake Placid?

I am planning on attending SA in November. I will be flying in from Seattle so I have no idea what airport in NY state I should use and how I could get to the venue (The Olympic Center) from the airport. Can anyone who live nearby explain? It would be a great help! Thanks a lot.

Tammi

On the Ice
We travel by car, so I can't offer much help with the airports, but this link might help you out http://lakeplacid.com/flash/planyourtrip/z-planyourtrip.htm . Major airports include Albany NY, Montreal and Burlington VT, but any one of those will put you 2 hours away from Lake Placid.

If you don't want to rent a car, I think one of your only options is to look at flying into Boston's Logan Airport and booking a connecting flight to Saranac Lake on Cape Air. That will put you about 15 miles from Lake Placid, which is an easy taxi ride. Just to let you know though, Cape Air has very small planes, I think they are commonly referred to as puddle jumpers.