Pairs' LP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Pairs' LP

gold12345

Medalist
Exactly, I was talking especially about star lifts. Still, one judge managed to give +2 GOE on that one for P/T.. That is beyond me.

I know. That often happens, and it's annoying. At least they usually get the placements right because sometimes the scores make little sense.

And? For me it really does not matter whether it was underotated and ended with fall or fully rotated and a fall. It is just ugly. Period. 5 points earned for such a horrible fall. I HATE that system.

So true. I don't like seeing anyone getting rewarded for slamming her head on the ice! It's ridiculous.

lcd

Match Penalty
I unfortunately could not stay awake for the LP. :( But thank goodness for youtube! :biggrin: Just finished watching the top 3 programmes and saw Yukos fall, and happy to see how kind and attentive Alex is to Yuko. Nice to see. :)

... which was not her experience with her ummm... previous partner :frown2:

lcd

Match Penalty
After watching the top 3 pairs medalists, I couldn't help but come away with thinking about what a relatively sloppy discipline pairs seems to be. A ton of acrobatics but at the expense of finesse and story telling. There are no teams like Gordeeva/Grinkov, Mishkut/Dimitriev, Sale/Peletier. Just... I don't know... jammed packed with elements.

MissCleo

On the Ice
Being one of the younguns here,this is my perspective. one weekend, i looked up some the older teams G/G, dimitriev and his ladies, etc. I ruined myself for pairs altogether. I cant enjoy most of these teams now that I have seen what the best used to be like.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder if they'll have past US world medalists for all the disciplines bearing flowers/medals. Can you imagine the ladies' line-up? That would be kind of sad seeing Kristi, Michelle and company bearing flowers/medals without a single US lady on the podium- which is probably going to happen unless there's a miracle.

I guess I just don't see the tragedy of it all. Every skating federation seems to go through cycles... it's finally time the US ladies have a rebuilding period.

screech

Final Flight
I haven't read the whole thread, but I have to say, it sucks for Canada! Three teams in the top 10 yet still only 2 teams get to go to Olys next year.

Kinga

Medalist
After watching the top 3 pairs medalists, I couldn't help but come away with thinking about what a relatively sloppy discipline pairs seems to be. A ton of acrobatics but at the expense of finesse and story telling. There are no teams like Gordeeva/Grinkov, Mishkut/Dimitriev, Sale/Peletier. Just... I don't know... jammed packed with elements.

I also miss all good times (Well, maybe not S/P ;), I would mention S/Z and B/S instead)...
As far as S/S still are able to make interesting programs, I could not really care less who wins bronze and silver. K/S, Z/Z, P/T... The performances I will forget tomorrow. Sorry, I already forgot.

Give me lovely, synchronized SBS that goes with the music so well as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sd-ztJs8ho

You know what, give me T/M any time! I was not the biggest fan, but now I truly miss them. Everything was so smooth and precise... With a lovely flow.

amateur

Final Flight
I just rewatched Savchenko/Solkowy's free skate, and i really do think this one is quite beautiful, easily the best pairs program I can remember going back to B/S or S/Z at the end of the 6.0 era. But yeah, programs like this are a rarity these days.

enlight78

Medalist
I think pairs has went backwards. If more pairs would focus on being clean they would score higher.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I think I watched most of this event, I really can't remember. None of the pairs stood out to me except the beautiful Canadian team, whom reminded me of G&G in terms of looks & style (also I recall the girl got her face slashed by her partner accidentally in a live skating event quite a few yrs. ago, thus kudos for her for coming back!). The other pair that didn't bore me was the team that won from Germany ~ cheers ~ love the ending throw jump! Hmm, one other pair stood out to me, but in a peculiar way, it was a Russian or Ukranian Team? wherein the *man* was built like a lumber jack, huge & manly compared to the waif that skated with him. Lol, and I recall Scotty saying in reply to Sandra "well, one does tend to lose finesse with all that power" or something to that effect. ROTFLMAO.:chorus:

Oops, I also recall that I cut out half way through the second American pairs team, and was disappointed when I did so because when I came back they got a rousing USA standing ovation ~ good for them!:)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just rewatched Savchenko/Solkowy's free skate, and i really do think this one is quite beautiful, easily the best pairs program I can remember going back to B/S or S/Z at the end of the 6.0 era. But yeah, programs like this are a rarity these days.

I totally agree! Aliona and Robin both are so beautiful and are that rare pair team that match one another so well in their strength and finesse. It's so impressive to see the male's body line extension match the female's in a pairs team. They consistently do the technical elements and at the same time present them and their programs with attack and elegance. They were clearly the highlight of the pairs' championship, head and shoulders above the rest here. Many congratulations to them! :love::bow:

The US new team, Candy and Denny are the fastest Pairs I've seen come out of the USFS. They are good but they need more acrobatic tricks and a purposeful style.

I hope McL Bru know what to do for next season. They can't be making dumb mistakes during the big comps.