Kimmie Meissner-LA Times article | Golden Skate

Kimmie Meissner-LA Times article

MKFSfan

Medalist
Aw. Thanks for sharing! I love reading articles/blogs such as this when people recall in their own words such a thrilling moment. Brought tears to my eyes. I hope Kimmie has many more moments such as that one to come.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, I thought that second blog really was indeed quite snarky. After all, does she REALLY want reporters to ask real questions? Careful what you wish for, girl. "Do you love to skate?" may seem self-evident and silly, but do you really want someone to ask you, "What happened to you and why haven't you placed in HOW MANY years has it been now?" or "What's it feel like to be a has-been at such a young age?" or "Gee, you really lucked into that one World medal, didn't you?" "Is/was your recent injury truly serious, or just an attempt to avoid humiliation at the National Championships?" Okay, Kimmie, whatever, you asked for it --

Yeah, I'm being snarky, but she was being pretty mean spirited, I thought. Oh, well, there's no one more snarky than a disappointed fan --

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm being snarky, but she was being pretty mean spirited, I thought. Oh, well, there's no one more snarky than a disappointed fan --
I thought she was absolutely brilliant. I just found new respect for her. That was so enjoyable to read, loved it!

Good for Kimmie. Nice to see her witty side. I'm sure she speaks for many skaters - and fans. I HATE it when interviewers ask them how they feel about their mistakes. Somebody needs to teach the interviewers some new questions.

feraina

Record Breaker
I always knew that Kimmie had a sweet, light-hearted side. But I never knew that she had such spunk in her as well. Haha. :biggrin:

In this, I find a new maturity and self-confidence in her. I hope it carries over to her skating, too. I hope she comes back next year rockin'.

Go Kimmie! :love:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
The article is interesting but the blog was quite surprising to me. My impression of Kimmie was to never say a contrary word no matter what. "The Michelle Kwan Model".

It's rather refreshing to see the spunky side of her. Makes me think that she is her own person after all with actual opinions.

It has always bothered me that Michelle never lets us see or hear what she really thinks about things. I find the diplomatic types very boring and very dishonest.

Now don't you Michelle fans get all huffy. I adore Michelle's skating and have always rooted for her. Frankly, I would love to see her skate competitively again or just skate anywhere for that matter.

Dizzy

It has always bothered me that Michelle never lets us see or hear what she really thinks about things. I find the diplomatic types very boring and very dishonest.

Not dishonest at all. It just means, I'll keep my real opinions to myself, thank you very much, and you can go whistle. (But in a nice way of course. :laugh: )

gourry

Final Flight
That was hilarious!! I love that blog:biggrin:
Seriously, some of that quetions are so dumb. If you want to know if so and so is a gay, go ask him/her! Is it hurt if I fall? Give me a bat, I'll hit your hip, and you tell me! If an interview is done right after a competition, there may be just handful of questions they could ask. But if it is other upclose and personal interview, there could be hundreds of more interesting questions. About the programs, backstage episodes, et cetra.

Last edited:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Good for Kimmie. Nice to see her witty side. I'm sure she speaks for many skaters - and fans. I HATE it when interviewers ask them how they feel about their mistakes. Somebody needs to teach the interviewers some new questions.

Truth to be told, some of those questions are inappropriate and she has every right to snark at them:

Asking her about other skater's sexual orientation? It's not the reporters' business to know and is it really important to know? That's tasteless on their part. Kudos to Kimmie for standing up for her friends.

Asking when someone is going to retire? For real? Not very journalistic, imho.

Someone asked for real questions? How about asking about the process of learning the programs, their reasoning for their music choice, skills they would like to try, things worked on, etc?

Kimmie has major cajones! :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It seems like it's written in a "playful" way (as if she was told to make it like that or something? Was it edited?), but in the end it does seem as if she has some "venting" to do on the topic.

But to do it on a public blog? Yes, that definitely takes MAJOR guts- in that she could easily turn off some of her fans who see her as this "angel" (yeah, whatever), but personally I find I respect her more for willing to say something about it. I have to say I didn't expect that she'd reveal that side of her, though. It's almost like she became an actual person, lol. I'm sure the skaters may talk about it amongst themselves, but Kimmie is the first one I know to publicly state that she doesn't like the questions she's being asked. She even got a response from Phil Hersh- most likely because she singled him out (by initials) at the end...that was extra snarky :laugh:

Last edited:

McWicked

On the Ice
Kudos to her!!! You show them, Kimmie!!!

PS: is there any chance she could be at the team trophy???

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

McWicked

On the Ice
As opposed to some of the trash blogs that PH has written?

Amen to that.:laugh:

Do you fall? Does it hurt when you fall?

Do you really want to see the hematomas on the side of my hip? Try launching yourself a couple feet off the ground, rotating a couple times in the air and then trying to land on a 3/4-inch piece of steel on one foot, on a surface that is very, very slippery, that would be the ice. Ouch!

EVERYTIME I read that I can't help cracking up!!! But the whole blog is worth reading!!!!! Btw, nice writting skills from Meissner, though it's not that surprising since she's known for being an avid reader, they usually have a tendency to express themselves quite well.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
That girl gives the most boring interviews. Even if journalists did ask insightful questions, she'd still give her practiced, PR-approved answers.
"I'm skating for my country."
"Just doing my best."
"I'm having fun."
"Losing every competition since Worlds is a good learning experience."
"Underarmor (TM) is the best clothing brand!"

I prefer Patrick Chan's spontaneous sincerity to Meissner's whining about st00pid journalists.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That girl gives the most boring interviews. Even if journalists did ask insightful questions, she'd still give her practiced, PR-approved answers.
"I'm skating for my country."
"Just doing my best."
"I'm having fun."
"Losing every competition since Worlds is a good learning experience."
"Underarmor (TM) is the best clothing brand!"

Yes. I would hardly single Meissner out, though- they ALL do it now. The only female skater I remember with at least some edginess was the old Cohen. That was refreshing. (the new Cohen is just like everyone else, giving the same old boring PR answers).