Michelle Kwan in the crowd at Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan in the crowd at Worlds

R.D.

Record Breaker
P.S.: I think Michelle would be a better commentator than Sasha.

Gotta agree with that one. We'll see what she has to say on Saturday but I'm not completely blown away by what she has to say so far in interviews, etc. I mean, heck, I could have gotten up there and said those things, but because she's Michelle Kwan, you know...

As for Cohen, the voice alone is enough to rule her out.

...heck, I could have gotten up there and said those things, but because she's Michelle Kwan, you know...

Interviewer: So, Red Dog, what do you think Rachael needs to do to be a factor at worlds?

RD: She should just try to skate her best.

Interviewer. Well, that was a nothing answer, why am I wasting my time talking to you. Oh, look, there's Michelle Kwan!

Interviewer: So, Michelle, what do you think Rachael needs to do to be a factor at worlds?

MK: She should just try to skate her best.

Interviewer: Oh Michelle, where will we find a big enough bowl to catch all the pearls of wisdom that drop from your lips?

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Precisely. (and would that interviewer be you by any chance? The last line gives it away. ;) )

Here's how I actually would have answered it: She needs to stay on her feet and hit her elements. Avoiding unnecessary mistakes is crucial in the SP. She also needs to reach out to the audience more. She's been criticized by many for being boring and that definitely doesn't help her reach the top tier. (Kwan wouldn't dare say that last sentence!! :rofl: )

Besides, it's only her first worlds. I can't expect a whole lot of out her. I'm just bummed about Alyssa. Not shocked or anything (I expected the fall on the second jump but not on the 2a!! she totally crumbled under the pressure of the "three spots thing"), but still. She'd better be thinking about skating the FS with total abandon because that's the ONLY way she could possibly make up any ground.

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
Her comments have a sense of over-achievement for the two American ladies. Not surprisingly, with all that she has achieved herself.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
Personally, I thought Michelle did fine for her first time at this. She seemed more nervous on Friday than she did on Saturday. After all, this is her first experience at worlds in this capacity. I think she has improved leaps and bounds in her speech and will continue to get better with experience.

Isn't that what we say about skaters at their first or second worlds? I would imagine being on the camera live for the first time like that would be just as intimidating as being on the ice in front of a live audience ~ at least being on the ice is familiar territory for skaters ~ being in the broadcast booth, commentating or whatever isn't something that most athletes fall right into. It takes time. It also might have felt weird for her to critique the skaters ~ that, too, I believe comes with experience.

It was good to see Michelle again. I've missed her presence in the skating world and I hope that she becomes more involved in some capacity.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
One of my fondest figure skating moments was that year (1999) when Naomi skated such a spectacular LP after knocking herself momentarily unconscious with a fall in the SP, moving up to take the silver medal ahead of Angela Nikodinov and Sarah Hughes.

While Naomi was skating they showed Michelle backstage watching on the monitor with a worried look on her face, like , "WHOA." Then when she saw that the camera was on her, Michelle smiled and waved and tried to play it off, like, "What, me worry?" :rofl:

:love: I so agree. I still get mad when Naomi rembering that Naomi did not win the event, but Michelle's face after that adorable skate by Naomi was priceless!

R.D.

Record Breaker
She was alright, on the mediocre side. I felt she didn't really add much substance to the broadcast and she seemed out of her element (stiff, PC, etc.) I think if NBC wants to add someone else to the booth, that person needs to bring a strong knowledge of the scoring system and the ability to criticially analyze the skaters and let the viewers know where they stand (I think that's what's missing from the NBC team). With all due respect to Kwan, she did neither of those things. But they did go out of their way to make her look good, it seems.

TripletA

Rinkside
She was alright, on the mediocre side. I felt she didn't really add much substance to the broadcast and she seemed out of her element (stiff, PC, etc.) I think if NBC wants to add someone else to the booth, that person needs to bring a strong knowledge of the scoring system and the ability to criticially analyze the skaters and let the viewers know where they stand (I think that's what's missing from the NBC team). With all due respect to Kwan, she did neither of those things. But they did go out of their way to make her look good, it seems.

Kwan was not a commentator. She was an annalist. In an article she said she would be there to give her insight into what it is like to be in this situation.

I thought she did fine. She looked like a million bucks :love: , but wasn't given the opportunity to say much. A satisfactory start, if she wants to continue iin this line of work.

Is Bob Costas shorter than Michelle, or was Michelle wearing four-inch heels? :)

About returning to training, twice she kind of bobbled the question of where she was with her jumps. She didn't say, "I've got all my triple jumps back," it was more like, "I have been training off-ice, and on the ice I am getting my jumps back... (pause) .. triples."

She was forthright in answering the question of whether she would take into account the level of the current generation of top skaters in making her decision about trying for the Olympic team. She basically said, yes, I would not want to come back if I couldn't contend for the championship.

She had glowing praise for Yu-na Kim. But did I detect a little flash in her eye that said, "but I can take her!" -- or was that just my imagination? :laugh:

TripletA

Rinkside
Mathman,
I am almost positive I heard her say during the ladies LP that "I have all my triples back" wishful thinking maybe but I am so sure I heard her make those comments

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mathman,
I am almost positive I heard her say during the ladies LP that "I have all my triples back" wishful thinking maybe but I am so sure I heard her make those comments

That is what I heard too.

OK, I downloaded it from the MK Forum :laugh: Here is the thread if you want to see the whole segment (9 MB, posted by MK Forium administratotr Heather, post #31).

http://mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22084&page=2

Michelle says, " I've been doing a lot of off ice training. I've been training on the ice and I've got my triples out."

I am pretty sure she says "out," not "back." I took it to mean something like, I'm putting my triples out there to see what I've got to work with.

She goes on to say that so far she is training just to get in shape, and will put off until later any decission involving the Olympics. However, that she is "very serious" about her training.

Looking at the clip it again, I was quite impressed by Michelle's poise. This is something she could definitely do it she decides to go in this direction. And even if she doesn't, she will still be in demand in roles like this, for brief analysis and expert commentary.

I also learned from the MK Forum thread that you can buy Michelle's blue dress at Bloomingdale's. :)

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
OK, I downloaded it from the MK Forum :laugh: Here is the thread if you want to see the whole segment (9 MB, posted by MK Forium administratotr Heather, post #31).

Michelle says, " I've been doing a lot of off ice training. I've been training on the ice and I've got my triples out."

I am pretty sure she says "out," not "back." I took it to mean something like, I'm putting my triples out there to see what I've got to work with.

She goes on to say that so far she is training just to get in shape, and will put off until later any decission involving the Olympics. However, that she is "very serious" about her training.

Looking at the clip it again, I was quite impressed by Michelle's poise. This is something she could definitely do it she decides to go in this direction. And even if she doesn't, she will still be in demand in roles like this, for brief analysis and expert commentary.

I also learned from the MK Forum thread that you can buy Michelle's blue dress at Bloomingdale's. :)

It is clear to me that Michelle isn't coming back.She only has 11 months left before the Olympics and she has about 6-7 months before the regionals and sectionals and she hasn't decided yet ??

R.D.

Record Breaker
Is Bob Costas shorter than Michelle, or was Michelle wearing four-inch heels?

I got the impression that they had her stand on something to make the three of them appear to be similar height. MK is what, 5-2? I don't think Costas is that short, lol.

What I saw as improvement in Michelle was that her voice became a few shades darker so as to make her statements more meaningful. Skaters who hang around the ice all their lives have high pitched voices until they get out of the rink for good.