This turned out to be a very bad year for Alissa. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

This turned out to be a very bad year for Alissa.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm sorry but US Nationals was a blatent miscarriage of justice. Yes, Rachael and Caroline are boring. Yes, Alissa is gorgeous. But Rachael and Caroline both landed six triple jumps, and Alissa she landed 3 triple jumps, attempting only four triples.

The USFSA judges would have been justified punishing Alissa big time for this on the PCS, but instead they decided to give Alissa higher PCS than she had ever received in her life.

No, we don't know what would have happened if Caroline had gone to Worlds. Caroline could have totally messed up. But we do know that Caroline would have attempted more than 4 triple jumps. (And this is what Alissa has attempted all season 4 triple jumps) Because four triple jumps does not cut it internationally.

I mean if the USFSA is going to pull crap like they pulled at US Nationals, then why did they even bother to hold the long program. They should have just given Alissa the US National title after she stayed on her feet in the short program.

I knew that Rachael Flatt was going to place high at worlds. I figured that Rachael would likely get sixth place because she could outjump Lepisto and Suguri.... Then there was the possiblitiy of Kostner/Ando meltdown. This happened because Rachael did her job. When you think about it Rachael/Caroline were doubly screwed at US Nationals.

They were screwed because one of them should have been National champion, and they were also screwed because it's now that much harder for them to make the Olympics.

kyla2

Final Flight
Alissa

Alissa will always be inconsistent. Her jump technique just isn't strong enough, and once she falls, she often starts to unravel. Can she give a really nice performance here and there? Absolutely. But relaibility is not her strong point.

Carolina has technique issues and she has been held up too long by the judges because of her speed across the ice. Well, the chickens have come home to roost and she is skating poorly. She does not have Alissa's other skating qualities to rely on.

I will take Alissa's skating anyday over Carolina's.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Somehow I highly doubt that writing letters to the USFSA will have any effect on anything at all. If the USFSA wants to hold someone up, that person will be held up. Like someone said before, since when was it the fans' responsiblity to ensure that events are judged fairly?

Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for the USFSA.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I blame Caroline and Mirai and Rachel for not being old enough last year to skate at worlds and get us three spots for this year's worlds, which led to us only having two spots... I blame them for not living up to the hyped up potential from day one on the boards and blowing everyone (including the judges) away at nationals this year demanding they all be put into first.

there... while we're laying blame on people - when we have no real clue that the outcome would be any different, why not spread the wealth. :sheesh:

TripletA

Rinkside
Mathman deleted my post by accident and I was told to re-due so here you go:)

Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I am hereby calling out every single person who believes that Alissa was "held up" at Nationals. I'm not one of them, but I know there are many, because they screamed about it for weeks on these forums.

If you believe this, it is your responsibility to write an email or letter to the USFSA after Alissa's performance at Worlds. Now is the time to do it. Put up, or shut up.
How is it the fans responsibility to get the correct people to Worlds and not hold up skaters like Alissa?

It is USFSA job to do this not mine as a fan and yes I felt Alissa was held up at Nationals.

The people who whine like babies on the forums saying they are so sure she was held up, yet given the opportunity to actually do something about it by contacting the people responsible they refuse. Just shows how truly worthless all their negative complaining really is.

What I find hilarious is that you think anyone's opinion matters to the US Skating federation. Sending them a letter of complaint would be a waste of time

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
while we're at it, let's blame Michelle Kwan too. How dare she ever go into retirement, doesn't she realize 3 olympic spots are at stake every four years????

TripletA

Rinkside
while we're at it, let's blame Michelle Kwan too. How dare she ever go into retirement, doesn't she realize 3 Olympic spots are at stake every four years????

I am surprised someone did not blame Michelle a long time ago. She saved the US for so many years in a row it isn't a coincidence that once she left the spots disappeared.

Plus Michelle gets blamed for everything.:eek:

brightphoton

Medalist
Another comment that gets tossed around a bit is that Alissa has perfect technique, but she gets nervous during performance and falls. Is that true? It would seem to me that if you have perfect technique, you wouldn't fall so often.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
her technique goes out the window because she's fighting muscle memory... a lot of skaters have commented that it's asking for disaster the minute to start fighting your body's autopilot.

and Re: MK gets blamed for everything - not true. I'm pretty sure it was Sasha Cohen's fault I stubbed my toe this morning, because she's the mean one ;)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Do you mean, on the TES?

TES and PCS. They could have justifibly placed Alissa 10TH in the free skate. They gave her 7 points in PCS over Zhang and Flatt, something that would have never, ever, ever happened internationally. When Alissa lands 3 triples and Zhang and Rachael skate reasonably well.

And I'm tired of people saying no big deal. Because it is a big deal. Imagine how Rachael Flatt and Caroline Zhang feel. Imagine it, you go out there attempt 7 triple jumps jumps land six of them. Skate your absolutely very best. And the USFSA judges decide to give the title to a girl who lands only 3 triple jumps, attempting four?

Caroline Zhang was apparently at Worlds In TEARS. And then there's Rachael who skates her absolute heart and soul out there to win those three spots. But hey what can she do because Alissa only attempts four triple jumps in the long program. Hey that's what the USFSA wanted.

And who knows Sasha and Michelle Kwan are coming back! So hey guess what that means Rachael may not even get to go to the Olympics now. Because of course the USFSA will give them higher PCS than her again.

So seriously how do you think Rachael and Caroline Zhang feel at this point right now?

Particle Man

Match Penalty
It is USFSA job to do this not mine as a fan and yes I felt Alissa was held up at Nationals. What I find hilarious is that you think anyone's opinion matters to the US Skating federation. Sending them a letter of complaint would be a waste of time

What I find hilarious is that even though you say that, you STILL keep complaining about it here -- but apparently that is NOT a waste of time? I can GUARANTEE you that your complaints have less effect here (i.e. none) than they would in a letter to USFSA.

You're contending that USFSA officials knowingly held up Alissa, giving her the gold medal and the Worlds spot, which probably (statistically) resulted in us losing an Olympics spot. That Olympic spot next year may have contained YOUR favorite US ladies skater. Even knowing all that, claiming what you claim, you choose to do absolutely nothing. Pathetic.

Congratulations to brightphoton for actually standing behind THEIR beliefs. For choosing to not simply whine and slander skaters on forums, but to actually do something constructive. I've heard a letter of complaint is usually seen as representing about 1000 people's opinions. USFSA DOES care about losing that Olympic spot, and does care about losing revenue. Unhappy viewers means less revenue.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno, after every US nationals at least one person writes a letter complaining about the cost, or the treatment of the fans, or something else that went wrong... they blame the organizing committee there in that city and they move on... and normally the changes are worse (higher prices, less given as perks).

TripletA

Rinkside
What I find hilarious is that even though you say that, you STILL keep complaining about it here -- but apparently that is NOT a waste of time? I can GUARANTEE you that your complaints have less effect here (i.e. none) than they would in a letter to USFSA.

You're contending that USFSA officials knowingly held up Alissa, giving her the gold medal and the Worlds spot, which probably (statistically) resulted in us losing an Olympics spot. That Olympic spot next year may have contained YOUR favorite US ladies skater. Even knowing all that, claiming what you claim, you choose to do absolutely nothing. Pathetic.

Congratulations to brightphoton for actually standing behind THEIR beliefs. For choosing to not simply whine and slander skaters on forums, but to actually do something constructive. I've heard a letter of complaint is usually seen as representing about 1000 people's opinions. USFSA DOES care about losing that Olympic spot, and does care about losing revenue. Unhappy viewers means less revenue.

Well Alissa. IMO you were held up. I would not even consider myself a fan of any of the current US ladies but IMO The USFSA figured they should send Alissa because IF she hit she could get them 3 spots. That was a big if.

You obviously have some kind of attachment to Alissa that clouds your judgment. I however am attached to NO US skater at all so I see it like it is.

Alissa was just lucky her spins were given credit because if they had not been she would have been even further down the list possibly costing the US two spots.

bekalc

Record Breaker
did that really happen? can you elaborate more about this? poor caroline!

Someone said Zhang was spotted in tears at Worlds watching a practice or something. All I'm trying to say is that what happened at US Nationals was cruel and wrong. There was absolutely nothing fair about what the USFSA judges did...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm sorry but US Nationals was a blatent miscarriage of justice. Yes, Rachael and Caroline are boring. Yes, Alissa is gorgeous. But Rachael and Caroline both landed six triple jumps, and Alissa she landed 3 triple jumps, attempting only four triples.

That's a bad argument. Alissa had a deservedly large lead after the SP. You have to consider everything, not just who landed more triples in the LP.