"Netflix" for books? | Golden Skate

"Netflix" for books?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hate going to the library here in Anchorage, I don't know why but I just don't like going. I'm not sure if it's the parking, or the staff, or the fact that I can never remember how to get there :rofl:

anyway, I think it would be fantastic to have a sort of site that works like netflix, but with books. I hate having to take a book back before it's finished to get it renewed so I can finish it. It's not that I'm a slow reader, it's just that I rarely have time to sit and read a novel in a few days (or hours) anymore. I would love to be able to!

It would also have helped to have that system in my hometown because they NEVER had the books I wanted to read when they came out. I'd have to wait at least a year... if that...

is there such a site/company in place?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Toni, have you tried E-bay? I've always had great luck buying 2nd hand books from sellers there. What about your 2nd hand stores for used paperbacks? Or yard & garage sales in the summer?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
merrywidow - I like to read a book first before I add it to my collection. I read books like I watch movies... over and over and over again... and I love Ebay for out of print books. It's how I got my copy of Kurt Browning's autobiography (and I know he says he doesn't ever plan to write a new one, but I really wish he would, his life changed so much after 1992!)

Rachael

On the Ice
I love bookswim! I did it for about 6 months! The only reason why I quit it, was because I needed to save money.

heyang

Record Breaker
Maybe you could suggest a book swap at work. I don't who started it, but people in my office put the books they've finished reading and consider recommendable out on a shelf in the kitchen. Whoever wants to try any of the books can just take it until they are finished and return it. In most cases, people don't care if the books is returned or not.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
welcome to Alaska! ;)

though, I wouldn't doubt if the library in Anchorage is uptodate with technology. I don't even have a card/account/whatever it's called these days with them.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am personally annoyed that you can't pay to view full content at google books. One time in particular I needed a book for class, the bookstore was out, only 3 libraries in all of Boston area had it, and of those two were college libraries meaning I couldn't check book out there, and the third was a public library but the book was in the reference-only section. Google books had it, but only as "preview". I wouldn't have even minded paying to get the text!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Our Libraries here in the Lower Mainland have an on-line checking system - one can renew their book on-line. You don't have to physically return to the library if you want to keep the book out for a couple of more weeks. It works great - especially if you are sick or don't have the time to make it to the library. Although, I love going to the library.

heyang

Record Breaker
Our Libraries here in the Lower Mainland have an on-line checking system - one can renew their book on-line. You don't have to physically return to the library if you want to keep the book out for a couple of more weeks. It works great - especially if you are sick or don't have the time to make it to the library. Although, I love going to the library.

We have the same option on our library's website - actually serves the whole county, not just my local branch. I also enjoy being able to reserve books online if all the copies are checked out.