Can ISU official say this? | Golden Skate

Can ISU official say this?

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I saw this video on you tube and I was wondering if ISU official can make comments like this. I know he is trying to say that all the elements are important. I just want to know what everyone thinks.
THIS IS NOTHING TO DO WITH YU-NA OR MAO. PLEASE LEAVE THEM OUT OF THIS DISCUSSION. IT IS ABOUT WHAT AND HOW PETER KRICK IS SAYING!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4bx6h0kc2o

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I just want to add that the part "Don't worry about triple axel." That is a questionable part. But I could be wrong....

redhotcoach

On the Ice
A quad does not mean a medal either!

A skater should be judged on their total package rather than a few difficult highlights.....that was the purpose of the new judging system. Every element in a program garners points - not just the difficult ones -- and a skater who can put down a beautiful program that scores the most points should be the winner.

The days of skate skate skate - quad -- skate skate skate - triple axel --skate skate skate (no choreography no decent spin positions no feeling for the music).....are over. Thank goodness!!! The quality of a Jeff Buttle skate would beat an Elvis quad no-choreography program under the new system.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the fact that women are working on triple axels and quads, and that men can do beautiful quad combo's......but if the skater has neglected to develop the quality of their spins, footwork and ease of flow on the ice --- then they haven't developed the total skater. It's a program - not a jump off!

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
redhotcoach,brightphoton, thank you very much for posting your opinion. I definitely agree with both of you. :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
The days of skate skate skate - quad -- skate skate skate - triple axel --skate skate skate (no choreography no decent spin positions no feeling for the music).....are over. Thank goodness!!! The quality of a Jeff Buttle skate would beat an Elvis quad no-choreography program under the new system.

You are comparing chalk and cheese skaters that skated under two different systems - or certainly Elvis never competed under COP. Truth be told - the jumps still are everything provided you land them. Elvis at his peak had no problem landing a full set of triples with two axels (one combined with triple toe) and a quad -triple combination. Rightly or wrongly that would always beat a Buttle program because of weight the jumps have - look at Pluschenko - he had the jumps and he didn't need to worry about choreography or difficult spins.

Ant

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
I think both kim and mao have complete packages the spins, the footwork, the spirals (yuna might need to improve on this), jumps, and skating skills. it is just that mao can do 3a and yuna can do wonderful 3f+3t.

yunaddiction

Rinkside
I think both kim and mao have complete packages the spins, the footwork, the spirals (yuna might need to improve on this), jumps, and skating skills. it is just that mao can do 3a and yuna can do wonderful 3f+3t.

The two girls have totally different class of not only jump quality & consisitancy but overall performance including musical expression & coreograph.
So one big but unstable weapon cannot beat a full package.
It is why the result of Worlds have finally come up as is and what Peter Krick is talking about.

gourry

Final Flight
I think that youtube poster titled that interview in somewhat misleading way.
IIRC, that was an answer to a question like "Does Yuna Kim need 3A to be competitive?" I guess we all know the answer by now. She is more than competitive without one. I don't see anything wrong with Peter's answer. He simply stated the spirit of NJS. If you have a big jump, that'll help, but that's not everything. Jeffrey proved it, Evan proved it, and Yuna proved it.

Indeed, that interview is quite old one. Isn't it done like at the beginning of this season?? Or at the end of last season??

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that in Mao's case, what she needed was a full set of jumps. She didn't have a 3 lutz in her program- she was relying on her triple axel to make up for it.

I don't get singling out of Yu Na as this amazing artistic skater. I think that Yu Na and Mao have practically the same style of skating. The difference between the two is that Yu Na has a complete set of triples (save for the 3 axel) and 3-3 combos.

I don't think the ISU official's comments were out of line. Seems that he was asked about the result and he gave a good answer.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
He was probably answering a question by a dumb reporter about how come Mao didn't win when she did the triple axel?

I don't think he should have started gushing about how she feels and understands every piece of music that she every skated to. I think he just should have explained that the quality of her skating was overall better than Mao on this given day.

figuristka

Medalist
Of course it should count too but i think he is only referring to ladies skating , as most woman do not do the jump, however perhaps they are not encouraging the ladies to try it if they don't see a real reward.

Okami

On the Ice
The ISU official's reply was taken out of context.

This interview was actually conducted well before Worlds 2009. It was a part of a documentary about YuNa aired a season or two ago. IIRC it was the time when there was talk about whether or not YuNa can challenge Mao without a triple axel in her arsenal.

The comment would sound really weird now. Since the time when the interview was made Mao has improved her elements tremendously (just compare her spins and steps from 2006 with the ones she does now), skated to different types of music (classical, Opera, pop, jazz, tango, waltz, Disney :) ), got her 3T and 3S back and fixed the Lutz take-off (even if the jump isn't 100% consistent yet). She's definitely not the jumping bean that she was referred to a few seasons ago. Right now she's more often praised for the beauty of positions, lyrical style and intricate step sequences.

What hurt Mao at Worlds was unstable jump technique and resulting lack of confidence. She didn't attempt two 3As because she was relying only on 3As - she did it because they were more consistent than her 3Lz at that point.

A for Axel

Rinkside
A skater should be judged on their total package rather than a few difficult highlights.....that was the purpose of the new judging system. Every element in a program garners points - not just the difficult ones -- and a skater who can put down a beautiful program that scores the most points should be the winner.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the fact that women are working on triple axels and quads, and that men can do beautiful quad combo's......but if the skater has neglected to develop the quality of their spins, footwork and ease of flow on the ice --- then they haven't developed the total skater. It's a program - not a jump off!

I understand you.
but well, both Mao and Miki work their step sequences, spirals and spins so hard...They don't neglect those elements at all. They work hard at every elements!

I think the number of Ladies executing the 3A is increasing. Ms Flatt should have one for the Olys. She is the 5th ranked skater in the World. We know Kim is also working on 3A.

As for Mao, the problem was that dreadful waltz, imo.

cosmos

On the Ice
I think the number of Ladies executing the 3A is increasing. Ms Flatt should have one for the Olys. She is the 5th ranked skater in the World. We know Kim is also working on 3A.

As for Mao, the problem was that dreadful waltz, imo.

No, YuNa is not working on 3A, AFAIK.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
I understand you.
but well, both Mao and Miki work their step sequences, spirals and spins so hard...They don't neglect those elements at all. They work hard at every elements!

Agree. Mao has beautiful spins better than kim. kim doesn't have the best spirals. Mao and Miki work really hard on they're footwork. You should compare mao's spins from 2005 to now. they have improved a lot

gourry

Final Flight
Agree. Mao has beautiful spins better than kim. kim doesn't have the best spirals. Mao and Miki work really hard on they're footwork. You should compare mao's spins from 2005 to now. they have improved a lot

I agree Mao improved in spins. Now she actually sits in her sit spins, while she used to half-stand. She used to have not enough revolutions before but it is way better now. I think it was Artunian who did wonderful job on her spins because Mao had better spins since last season. :yes:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Hi. thank you for everyone to write on comments on this thread. You may think it is silly, but i was REALLY nervous about starting this thread. This is my very FIRST thread I have started and I was not sure even it was good topic to discuss about or people even respond to it. And knowing that my English is not good, I was very insecure about it. Now I am going to copy this and keep it forever as my very first Golden Forum thread!!!! I should frame them and put it on my room's wall.:laugh: I get really excited and happy when someone respond to my comments, too. It is such a great forum where everyone can enjoy communicating with people from all over the world :clap:about the most beautiful sport, figure skating!!!:clap:

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
kim doesn't have the best spirals.

If flexibility is your only criteria, than yes, Mao's spiral is better than YuNa's. Fortunately I was at the L.A. Worlds sitting right behind the judges and was able to compare & contrast YuNa & Mao's spirals & sort of see what the judges were seeing. The distance YuNa covers, her speed and the steadiness of YuNa's spiral sequence is far superior to that of Mao. YuNa's current spiral position has improved enough that the position looks great, espeically when added to her speed. Mao, as beautiful as her flexibility is, covers much shorter distance and the lean on her change edge isn't as great either.