Trends for the Olympic Season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Trends for the Olympic Season?

gio

Medalist
The trend will probably be the continuation of "classicism" (use of classical music) and "tango mania". IMO we will hear a lot of Saint-Saens, Dvorak, Kachuturian, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky... and a lot of Cumparsita, Jalousie, Adios Nonino.

I don't think skaters will start a new trend next season. Maybe after the Olympics. Who knows.

StickyFumblings

Rinkside
I agree with the OP that we will see more 2A+3T combinations. Miki Ando got more points for her 2A+3T than her opening 3Z-2L. Kim got 8.5 points for her 2A+3T and Ando got 8.7, so I think it's a great combination to rack up points.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I agree with the OP that we will see more 2A+3T combinations. Miki Ando got more points for her 2A+3T than her opening 3Z-2L. Kim got 8.5 points for her 2A+3T and Ando got 8.7, so I think it's a great combination to rack up points.

It's also a great combination to get downgraded on. Ando and Kim are two outstanding jumpers - but other girls got downgraded on that combo a lot, Akiko Suzuki's combo often looked great in realtime, but was downgraded at every competition I think. She stopped doing the 2A-3T by the time she went to 4CC. Ando got actually downgraded on it at the GPF. Asada got downgraded it at Worlds 2007, that was before the tech controller started to really look at every jump. Elene Glebova got downgraded on it too, I think.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh - I'm surprised folks haven't commented on Sarah Meier's skate - Very nice given the fact she'd been off the ice for 11 weeks and decided to skate at worlds to secure the Swiss a spot in Canada. She placed in the top 10! Wonder what she would have placed if she had actually trained.

I think the international judges would have placed a flawless Sarah Meier over Rachael Flatt, for sure. So, I guess being fit she could have placed 5th at this year's Worlds.

From what I saw in LA, I would say that skaters will be attempting more acrobatic moves - not just in Pairs but also in other divisions.

I would also think that there is a trend towards using more schmaltz in the overall skating.

KayMil01

On the Ice
I think the international judges would have placed a flawless Sarah Meier over Rachael Flatt, for sure. So, I guess being fit she could have placed 5th at this year's Worlds.

That was so corageous of Sarah to skate at Worlds with her injury and being off the ice for many weeks. I noticed she went back to her LP from last season. I bet it was because she only skaterd her new LP once, then being off the ice so long, she didn't have time to train it; going back to last season's program instead. I think that was smart of her....it paid off.:rock:

Nigel

On the Ice
That was so corageous of Sarah to skate at Worlds with her injury and being off the ice for many weeks. I noticed she went back to her LP from last season. I bet it was because she only skaterd her new LP once, then being off the ice so long, she didn't have time to train it; going back to last season's program instead. I think that was smart of her....it paid off.:rock:

Sarah and Rachael were in similar situations in that they both had only trained the long programs they performed for a short period of time. Flatt went back to her Romantic Rhapsody just about a month ago, as the feedback on the LP she had been using all season had not been what they had hoped. In fact, IIRC, Flatt had not skated the Sr version of the Romantic Rhapsody program since last January at US Nationals...so almost 14 months ago. She skated the JR version at World Jrs in Feb, but still...to essentially go back to a program that was over a year old and do this in 4-5 weeks.....:clap: Rachael! Great job! and :clap: to Sarah as well, as not many of us expected to see her in LA.